Google Chrome OS

#1 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

What do you guys think of the announcement of a Google Chrome OS? I think it looks awesome. At first they say it will launch of netbooks but it will also work great on high performance computers. I am looking forward to seeing more the this new OS. If I liked it enough I would install it on my computer. I currently run Windows 7 RC and already pre-ordered the Windows 7 upgrade. No regrets though because this does not come out until next year.

#2 Posted by goodwood (600 posts) -

It looks like it would be good for mobile devices and netbooks where the primary purpose is to browse the internet. They are saying it will be able to power on in seconds.

#3 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

I heard about it but dont see a need for it really. If you want Open Source theres so many O/S's already out there, if you want low-powered notebooks theres linux Distro's for that. Minus the facts its a Google Operating System (probably with Gmail etc. integration) Im not that interested at least not anymore interested than I am to download another BSD varient and try it out for a week before going back to Ubuntu/Win 7. Ill have a look on release but it has to do so much and be extremelty supported for me to even contemplate making my main O/S/

#4 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@Pazy said:
" I heard about it but dont see a need for it really. If you want Open Source theres so many O/S's already out there, if you want low-powered notebooks theres linux Distro's for that. Minus the facts its a Google Operating System (probably with Gmail etc. integration) Im not that interested at least not anymore interested than I am to download another BSD varient and try it out for a week before going back to Ubuntu/Win 7. Ill have a look on release but it has to do so much and be extremelty supported for me to even contemplate making my main O/S/ "
You don't think it would be like Mac and Windows in the way that they don't push their email service on you?
#5 Posted by Ben_H (3439 posts) -

I saw a thing on it and the guy talking about it said it requires the internet for quite a bit of it's functionality so it may not be good for people who do not always have access to the internet.  Also, the netbook thing.

I'll stick with Ubuntu and Windows 7 thank you.

#6 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

As i said on gamespot forums Google chrome is buggy and slow compared to firefox and IE so i doubt id wanna use an entire OS made by google, Google still is a great search engine but nearly all of its app's blow with google toolbar becomming more intrusive every year, and i uninstalled google desktop search 5 minutes after installing it.

#7 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @Pazy said:
" I heard about it but dont see a need for it really. If you want Open Source theres so many O/S's already out there, if you want low-powered notebooks theres linux Distro's for that. Minus the facts its a Google Operating System (probably with Gmail etc. integration) Im not that interested at least not anymore interested than I am to download another BSD varient and try it out for a week before going back to Ubuntu/Win 7. Ill have a look on release but it has to do so much and be extremelty supported for me to even contemplate making my main O/S/ "
You don't think it would be like Mac and Windows in the way that they don't push their email service on you?
"

Mac has an email service? News to me lol and I dont think so. I expect there to be a Gmail thing on the desktop or integrated into the UI somewhere. Though they did file some antitrust complaints against Microsoft/Windows for things like the Vista Desktop search because its almost impossible to turn off and cant be changed for another Search engine. 

Either way I totally see it Gmail on the desktop, "inbuilt" Office Software (link to Google docs probably) and the local O/S Calender can be linked to you Google Account to keep the calender up to date. They probably wont stop people changing that stuff, we can hope, but it will probably be the first thing you see and then somewhere else is the option to change it.

#8 Posted by PartTimeNinja (344 posts) -

This would be absolutely perfect if they could just sell this OS built into netbooks to bring down the price of those devices.

#9 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -
@PartTimeNinja said:
" This would be absolutely perfect if they could just sell this OS built into netbooks to bring down the price of those devices. "

Thats a linux laptop your talking about, usually its £30-50 cheaper than a comparable windows laptop. There probably is a small fee to help pay the people who made the UI (like the Acer Aspire one's got its own UI over linux) and such things but its barely noticable.

Chances are when Google OS comes out it will be less functional and supported than Linux since its a new O/S and it will most definately have less games than linux (and thats saying something ;) lol) so theres no real reason to wait unless you try it on Desktop and love it.

#10 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Not for me, my demands from a OS is not something this can provide. This sounds like it will be great/good for a mobile devices it was designed for, but little else in my eyes. 

#11 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Once I hear how good it is, i'll make a decision on whether I want it or not, and since I love the browser, chances are good that I'll want it. 

#12 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@AgentJ: I really do like the browser also, I just wish they integrated Gmail with it.
#13 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ: I really do like the browser also, I just wish they integrated Gmail with it. "
You mean like have it alert you when you get mail or something? You can just include that on your google sidebar : ). Besides, addons are supposed to be coming sometime. 
#14 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ: I really do like the browser also, I just wish they integrated Gmail with it. "
You mean like have it alert you when you get mail or something? You can just include that on your google sidebar : ). Besides, addons are supposed to be coming sometime. 
"
How do you add a sidebar to Google Chrome?
#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
"
"
No, the Vista sidebar. THen again, you might not have vista. 
#16 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
"
"
"
I've been using the Windows 7 RC. Maybe I'll install the sidebar.
#17 Posted by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -

Sounds cool but it's just not up to what I expect from my OS, I might decide to use it when it is though.

#18 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
"
"
"
"
Or you could just get Thunderbird and use POP to get your Gmail stuff there.
#19 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
"
"
"
"
Or you could just get Thunderbird and use POP to get your Gmail stuff there. "
What is Thunderbird?
#20 Posted by JJOR64 (19069 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @PureRok said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
"
"
"
"
What is Thunderbird?
"
Mozzila's email client.
#21 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @PureRok said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Wolverine said:
"
"
"
"
What is Thunderbird?
"
Mozzila's email client. "
It looks awesome! I'm downloading it now.
#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12636 posts) -

Developers are still working through Android, I'll hold my applause for the Google Chrome OS until I see something that convinces me to switch from (by the time it's out) Windows 7.  I think this (as far as PCs are concerned) will impact Linux more than Windows until it's fully adopted by software developers.  However, I can see it being of great benefit to media player/storage systems as well as console modders.   According to a televised discussion on G4 last night, the Google OS is supposed to focus on the emerging light weight notebook market.  I read recently that TechCrunch founder Michael Arrington decided to build his own affordable web tablet and it runs on Linux.  I could easily see something like that adopting the Google OS when it goes into wide release. 

#23 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@Pazy said:
Google Chrome OS IS a linux based OS.  I think all of you are missing the point and importance of this new way of looking at Operating systems.  None of the programs you will use will be natively stored.  They will all be web based applications.  It's a true thin client that will rely on the Cloud for just about everything it does.  in exchange the user will never have to worry about security updates and viruses.  Nothing will be executed locally.
#24 Posted by donwoogie (119 posts) -

I probably won't get it, but it will be interesting to see if they can reinvent the OS.  There are probably a lot of features in current operating systems that are redundant but have just been continued to be included simply because they were in the OS before.  I'm anxious to see what they have omitted or reengineered given that Windows operating systems were originally designed to work on offline computers which have the ability to go online when needed and most of its functionality is geared this way, whereas Chrome OS is designed to be permenantly online.

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12636 posts) -
@cspiffo:   So that's why this was announced a week before Microsoft's rumored "cloud-based" Office webware designed to compete with Google Docs.   Still, I'm very iffy on this whole cloud computing idea that people have been touting for a few years now.  The infrastructure for using that as a basis is too weak (if we listen to ISPs) which is the reason why they are putting limits on our ability to conduct heavy web traffic.  Besides, if your internet connection goes down, not having access to all your software is not something I'm comfortable with at this time.  I read the article on the Chrome OS over at ArsTechnica, and I'm not convinced this will be good for anyone other than Google (which is understandable).
#26 Posted by donwoogie (119 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" Developers are still working through Android, I'll hold my applause for the Google Chrome OS until I see something that convinces me to switch from (by the time it's out) Windows 7.  I think this (as far as PCs are concerned) will impact Linux more than Windows until it's fully adopted by software developers.  However, I can see it being of great benefit to media player/storage systems as well as console modders.   According to a televised discussion on G4 last night, the Google OS is supposed to focus on the emerging light weight notebook market.  I read recently that TechCrunch founder Michael Arrington decided to build his own affordable web tablet and it runs on Linux.  I could easily see something like that adopting the Google OS when it goes into wide release.  "
That's a good point, but the way I see it, even if it takes out the Linux distributers' market share, since Google Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernal, it may galvanize the previously fragmented Linux market (fragmented since all the users seem to have their own opinions on which distribution is best for them) and turn them into almost one large competitor which will create an overall larger threat for MS in the long run.
#27 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I'm genuinely excited.  Looking to see what it offers to the market.  I've used the Chrome browser and it's cool but needs a bit of work.

#28 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" @cspiffo:   So that's why this was announced a week before Microsoft's rumored "cloud-based" Office webware designed to compete with Google Docs.   Still, I'm very iffy on this whole cloud computing idea that people have been touting for a few years now.  The infrastructure for using that as a basis is too weak (if we listen to ISPs) which is the reason why they are putting limits on our ability to conduct heavy web traffic.  Besides, if your internet connection goes down, not having access to all your software is not something I'm comfortable with at this time.  I read the article on the Chrome OS over at ArsTechnica, and I'm not convinced this will be good for anyone other than Google (which is understandable). "
Why wouldn't this be good for everyone?  It's completely open source.  Granted, Google will want you to use their apps but you are not required to.  If Microsoft releases their version of Google Docs there's nothing stopping you from using that instead. The OS itself does not run your programs.  Cloud computing is inevitable.  It makes sense if you actually sit down and think about it.  You will have your information and apps available everywhere you go!
#29 Edited by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

I'm gonna pass, I still prefer Firefox over the Chrome browser. I don't really want to fuel Google's quest for world domination.

#30 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" I'm gonna pass, I still prefer Firefox over the Chrome browser. I don't really want to fuel Google's quest for world domination. Bing... better than Google. "
Chrome and firefox are both based on the same open source code.  It's just the feature sets that are different.  You would still be able to use Microsofts search engine on these client PCs. 
#31 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4956 posts) -

Didn't i make a post about this .... Never mind the discussion on this thread is better than mine :P

#32 Posted by BlazBleu (108 posts) -

Well if it's anything like Google Chrome, then I'm not complaining. That browser is fast, and hopefully it will integrate well with the browser.

#33 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -
@cspiffo said:
" @Pazy said:
Google Chrome OS IS a linux based OS.  I think all of you are missing the point and importance of this new way of looking at Operating systems.  None of the programs you will use will be natively stored.  They will all be web based applications.  It's a true thin client that will rely on the Cloud for just about everything it does.  in exchange the user will never have to worry about security updates and viruses.  Nothing will be executed locally. "
In that case screw it Ive already got plenty of Linux based O/S's and I dont really like "Cloud Computing" it maybe be the future but I prefare the present.
#34 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@Pazy said:
" @cspiffo said:
" @Pazy said:
Google Chrome OS IS a linux based OS.  I think all of you are missing the point and importance of this new way of looking at Operating systems.  None of the programs you will use will be natively stored.  They will all be web based applications.  It's a true thin client that will rely on the Cloud for just about everything it does.  in exchange the user will never have to worry about security updates and viruses.  Nothing will be executed locally. "
In that case screw it Ive already got plenty of Linux based O/S's and I dont really like "Cloud Computing" it maybe be the future but I prefare the present. "
In other news...Pazy says "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" LOL .  You'll change your mind when you see something that makes you go, "Wow!  That's really useful."  It's hard for people to wrap their heads around this stuff yet.  It's just like Digital Distribution.  People will resist it until they realize how much easier/better it makes life for the people around them that are into it.  Thin Client computing is the only way to get computers affordable for everyone.  Some day we will live in a society that does not use traditional tactile things like pens and paper.  The thin client PC will be all you need.  You will go to the store and buy one for school.  It'll cost maybe $10-$20.  It will have everything you need on it.  NO more lugging stupid heavy books around.  no more notebooks.  No more pencils.  You Will never have to worry about losing your pictures, music, games,  your book report or anything.  That's the future.  You can choose to climb aboard it or not but in the end you won't stop it from happening.  We live in such an inefficient society right now with so much waste.  Cloud computing will bring it all together. 
#35 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@cspiffo: The problem I have with digital distribution is that when I buy something online I don't have the same rights I have to it when I actually buy the material. If I get bored of a game I downloaded I can't sell it, I'm stuck with it. 
#36 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @cspiffo: The problem I have with digital distribution is that when I buy something online I don't have the same rights I have to it when I actually buy the material. If I get bored of a game I downloaded I can't sell it, I'm stuck with it.  "
And I will say to you that Digital distribution is cheaper for the developer to distribute so prices on media may start initially high but will plumet quickly as interest in the media wanes.  You see it on Steam all the time!  You will get far better deals with the DD model.  When you average the costs of actually selling your game and keeping it you will realize that you are not making out as well as you think you are unless you have some rare gem that is in demand.
#37 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@cspiffo said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @cspiffo: The problem I have with digital distribution is that when I buy something online I don't have the same rights I have to it when I actually buy the material. If I get bored of a game I downloaded I can't sell it, I'm stuck with it.  "
And I will say to you that Digital distribution is cheaper for the developer to distribute so prices on media may start initially high but will plumet quickly as interest in the media wanes.  You see it on Steam all the time!  You will get far better deals with the DD model.  When you average the costs of actually selling your game and keeping it you will realize that you are not making out as well as you think you are unless you have some rare gem that is in demand. "
I will get slightly better deals from retail but I wont be able to buy games used, I wont be able to trade games with my friends, and I wont be able to rent games.
#38 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @cspiffo said:
" @Wolverine said:
And I will say to you that Digital distribution is cheaper for the developer to distribute so prices on media may start initially high but will plumet quickly as interest in the media wanes.  You see it on Steam all the time!  You will get far better deals with the DD model.  When you average the costs of actually selling your game and keeping it you will realize that you are not making out as well as you think you are unless you have some rare gem that is in demand. "
I will get slightly better deals from retail but I wont be able to buy games used, I wont be able to trade games with my friends, and I wont be able to rent games.
"
What are you talking about.  My $5 Digital copy of Bioshock says hi!.  Microsoft has a system on the Zune where you can tranfer a song to someone for a set number play throughs.  Why wouldn't a system like that work for game as well?  You can rent Digitally Distributed movies.  Gametap lets you subscribe to their service and play their library of games.  Isn't that just a glorified rental service?  Good old games sells old games without DRM for $10 or less.  I really fail to see your doom and gloom senarios.
#39 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -
@cspiffo said:
" @Pazy said:
" @cspiffo said:
" @Pazy said:
In that case screw it Ive already got plenty of Linux based O/S's and I dont really like "Cloud Computing" it maybe be the future but I prefare the present. "
In other news...Pazy says "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" LOL .  You'll change your mind when you see something that makes you go, "Wow!  That's really useful."  It's hard for people to wrap their heads around this stuff yet.  It's just like Digital Distribution.  People will resist it until they realize how much easier/better it makes life for the people around them that are into it.  Thin Client computing is the only way to get computers affordable for everyone.  Some day we will live in a society that does not use traditional tactile things like pens and paper.  The thin client PC will be all you need.  You will go to the store and buy one for school.  It'll cost maybe $10-$20.  It will have everything you need on it.  NO more lugging stupid heavy books around.  no more notebooks.  No more pencils.  You Will never have to worry about losing your pictures, music, games,  your book report or anything.  That's the future.  You can choose to climb aboard it or not but in the end you won't stop it from happening.  We live in such an inefficient society right now with so much waste.  Cloud computing will bring it all together.  "

The reason I dont like the idea of Cloud Computing is that ive never had stable internet and the area I live, relativlty to "bigger" places in the UK, has always had terrible internet with slow download speed and terrible up-time. When the internet goes down, assuming im not going out, I can still play all my games, watch my media and listen to music or perhaps do some homework (actually no I wont ever do that) but if I can access my media, my documents or anything because the internet is down then I wont be happy. 

Plus one of my geeky tendancies is to like to look at the code of a program and see what I can mess about with, I cant really do that if its on a server. And while im waiting for my crappy internet to stream media (I can do SD youtube but only lead it by 1 second) then I can always enjoy local media.

So right now until the intenter truly goes everywhere, which it does not, and has 100% (or thereabouts) for everywhere that has it (which it dosent) then I dont want cloud computing. I dont want everything to chance over and me have to wait for my crappy ISP to catch up and not be able to enjoy what everyone else can.

Plus I like "lugging" around heavy books and I enjoy actually writing with a pen or pencil. I enjoy reading a physical book so much more than a story on a moniter, reading on a PC I find annoying and harder than on a book and I dont want to read a lot on a moniter, after a few paragraphs I give up but on books I could read them entierly in one sitting. I also enjoying actually meeting people rather than constantly using Instant Messanger and talking on phones lol 

Thats just me a 19-year old "Old Man":p

#40 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@Pazy:   So you mean I shouldn't go walking over your bridge?  LOL

The key to the ubiquity of cloud computing are the cellular networks (3g or 4g).  Once those have the bandwidth to support the infrastructure we all will see a shift in opinions on cloud computing.

I like you.  You seem pretty well grounded for a 19 yr old.  Maybe a little too well ground :^P

btw, most of these cloud systems are open source right now.  Look at the code to your hearts content.  I won't tell anyone :^)
#41 Edited by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

A Google Chrome OS could be a nice thing for Netbooks. I think it will pretty much just act as a GUI / Front end, for all their web apps. Google is not about having things stored locally, they are thinking ahead, and by the time this will come out, a pure cloud based OS would make sense.

That said i don´t like Google getting any more of my private things that they all ready do. I don´t use any of their online apps, so i don´t have any documents or excel sheet stored on their services. I do however have my email there, and for now that enough information i entrust them with.

I might be a bit paranoid, but i don´t see what´s wrong with storing things locally still. Cloud computing could be cool, but i still like the old fashioned way still.

Another thing, that i find kind of odd is, when they release this at the end of 2010. The OS will be running their Chrome browser, and of course that makes sense and all. But if any of you remember not too long ago, there was a huge deal about Microsoft delivering Windows with IE, forcing users to use that product instead of giving them the option to choose what Browser they want. Keep in mind not all people are computer savvy, they just use what´s there bad or not.

So if Microsoft ends up having to abide by that law, wouldn't Google also be forced to?
#42 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -
@cspiffo said:
" @Pazy:   So you mean I shouldn't go walking over your bridge?  LOLThe key to the ubiquity of cloud computing are the cellular networks (3g or 4g).  Once those have the bandwidth to support the infrastructure we all will see a shift in opinions on cloud computing.

That sounds worse, if I want to use my mobile phone inside my house I have to go to the kitchen window then hold it up for 5 minutes before it connects and then lean into the window to make sure the call dosent disconnect lol If I have to situate my computer inside a window to use it then im not sold lol

But if they can make it work with 100% uptime and no waiting them its not so bad but for the forseeable future local media is the way to go.

And yes I can be a little too grounded lol but I compliment with a healthy dose of madness at times.

#43 Posted by teh_destroyer (3574 posts) -

I am happy with Chrome for the time being, but I won't need a new Operating System any time soon.

#44 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

cool, it might lead to google becoming more popular then ever. soon we will see a google mp3 player and computers.

#45 Posted by Pkshields (811 posts) -

If Google sold this in stores, got some preloaded Netbooks out there and put a good amount of advertising into it, the Google name can definitely pull it into mainstream useage IMO

#46 Posted by BODDAH (315 posts) -

As much as I hate Google, I use Gmail, Adsense, Google Chrome, Reader, Feedburner, Blogger, Calendar, Youtube, Analytics, and, oh yeah, who can forget the HTC G1 that came in the mail a few days ago? Google forced me to voluntarily hand my life over.

#47 Edited by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@Pazy said:
" @cspiffo said:
" @Pazy:   So you mean I shouldn't go walking over your bridge?  LOLThe key to the ubiquity of cloud computing are the cellular networks (3g or 4g).  Once those have the bandwidth to support the infrastructure we all will see a shift in opinions on cloud computing.

That sounds worse, if I want to use my mobile phone inside my house I have to go to the kitchen window then hold it up for 5 minutes before it connects and then lean into the window to make sure the call dosent disconnect lol If I have to situate my computer inside a window to use it then im not sold lol

But if they can make it work with 100% uptime and no waiting them its not so bad but for the forseeable future local media is the way to go.

And yes I can be a little too grounded lol but I compliment with a healthy dose of madness at times.

"
Sir, I think it is time that you move :^D

On a serious note, I live in one of those small towns where there is only one gateway to the internet as well.  I still say that progress shouldn't be stop just because of that.  There will always be some way to get the content you desire.  I manage.  So will you.
#48 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -
@cspiffo said:
" @Pazy said:
" @cspiffo said:

"
Sir, I think it is time that you move :^DOn a serious note, I live in one of those small towns where there is only one gateway to the internet as well.  I still say that progress shouldn't be stop just because of that.  There will always be some way to get the content you desire.  I manage.  So will you. "

Move from my mums rented council flat...thats not really going to happen lol at least not until I get a good job (hopefully in the IT industry) after ive finished college.

And im not saying I wont to stop progress I just think that if things progress out of sync it just creates problems. They should be looking towards this and plan to put it out once they have fixed the problem with getting everyone access to the internet. 

#49 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -

I'll quintuple boot it. I am currently running Vista, Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Mac OSX Leopard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.