Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

gpu pin connector

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mars

I have a gtx 760 on the way that requires an 8 pin connector. If I don't have an 8 pin, can I use two 4 pin, or do most have an 8 pin?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You're fucked. Burn it, and move away.

Depends on the connectors - most mobo connectors have an X or X+4 option, with an attachable second connector. Not sure about graphic card connectors... At the very least try it out. What's your power supply? If it's old, that might be an issue. I don't know if there are connector adapters, but you can look into that too.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mars

My power supply pic is in the "apple guy bought a PC" thread a few down. On my ipad now and can't post another pic. It's brand new though.

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By GiroMindTricks

I'll try again and hopefully this won't post the same thing 3 times.

Most graphics cards come with some kind of adapter. Whether that is a molex>pic-e or a 6pin pci-e>8pin pci-e. If you do use the molex adapter make sure it's on the PSU's high power rail (if it has more than one) or you could blow it up.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Devildoll

@giromindtricks: tip, when you've hit "post reply", and the bomb starts fizzing, just leave the page and enter it again, and your reply should be there.

@ch3burashka said:

You're fucked. Burn it, and move away.

Depends on the connectors - most mobo connectors have an X or X+4 option, with an attachable second connector. Not sure about graphic card connectors... At the very least try it out. What's your power supply? If it's old, that might be an issue. I don't know if there are connector adapters, but you can look into that too.

4pin's and 4+4 pins are strictly for CPU, you cannot hook that up to a graphics card since they are keyed differently.

@mars : a 760 using an 8 pin though, that seems excessive. i'd think they would use 2 6pins.

which one did you get exactly?

Edit : Since you only posted a picture of the powersupply in the other thread, it was kind of hard to figure out what kind of cables you are supposed to have gotten with it.

But i went into detective mode, and i think i figured out which powersupply you have, this one?
    It says on their homepage that it comes with two 6+2 pin connectors, so if i did a good job guessing the psu, you'll have no problem hooking up a 760.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mars
    minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As GiroMindTricks mentioned, my Asus GTX 760 came with an adapter - two 6pin to one 8pin, actually. You should check up the full package list for the specific manufacturer you got and see if that's provided.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.