Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Graphic card question

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dillonwerner

I'm thinking of upgrading my gtx460 and I don't know whether or not to get a 670 or 680, could some one please clarify how substantial the difference is between the two.

Also, how much more power does the 670/680 require compared to my 460? Might need to get a new power supply.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

If you listen to the tested podcast, last week they talked about this for quite awhile, Norm seemed pretty convinced that there is no real need for a 680 over a 670 other than getting an extra year out of it before your next upgrade.

I wouldn't think the 670 would draw any more power than your 460, one of the big improvements has been power consumption.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Zelyre

I've been looking at getting rid of my 2 gig hex output 5870 and was in the same predicament.

Asus has an overclocked 670 with a huge PCB that is not only clocked higher than a reference 680, but just as fast, if not faster. For a hundred bucks less. I think it measures out at 10" length; the stock 670 is ~9". I've always been a big believer in buying close to top tier, but never top tier. By the time the 670 feels slow, the 680 is going to feel slow, too. I won't notice a difference between 160fps and 180fps and by the time the cards are near their end of life, 26fps feels just as sluggish as 33fps. I'd rather have the hundred bucks put toward something like an SSD or paying off bills.

http://www.hwcompare.com/12531/geforce-gtx-460-vs-geforce-gtx-670/

The 670 uses a bit more power, nothing drastic, though.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By dillonwerner

@Zelyre: Alright cool, I did some research and a 680 is only 4.5% better than the 670 and it's 100 dollars more.

Also, do you know if the 670 has the same physics capabilities as seen in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jptcT8R-yuc tech demo.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

I went 670 FTW and I have no regrets.

It's a 670 built on a 680 PCB...I'm pretty sure. So it's like you get both...

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno

GTX 680 is 5-10% faster for $100 more; not really worth it.  

The TDP of a GTX 460 is 150-160W, and 170W for a GTX 670. You won't need a new power supply. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.