Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Graphics Card Advice Needed

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vestigial_Man

I'm building my first PC and am stuck when it comes to picking a graphics card. I don't really know what brands are likely to be poor quality or whether a performance increase is really worth the cost.

My build has changed slightly from this but the rest of the build can be found here.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

PNY is the only one I don't recognize, the rest are all fine, not saying anything about PNY other than I've never heard of them.

EVGA is a premium brand, they are probably overpriced for what it is.

XFX used to have a very good warranty program, no idea if it's still in effect, but they were the best in that regard.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BurBan_Snake

i'd get the PNY 670 personally

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

Uh... I wouldn't go with a reference model. The TwinFrozr models from MSI are great, though a bit expensive. The 7970 is technically the best of the lot, but I've heard way too many "AMD horror stories" to trust them with my money. It's probably overblown, but still...

Either 670 will be fine. I'd personally go with the EVGA one, though.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mirado

@Vestigial_Man: First off, the UK really seems to get raked over the coals when it comes to hardware pricing. That EVGA card, for instance is only about £215.99 here in the US (after conversion, obviously). Alas, not much we can do about that, but I'm bringing it up because it sort of skews the value proposition end of things. Usually I'd have a very clear answer about going with a 660TI vs a 670, but the higher prices imbalance things a bit.

Anyway, my money goes to the 670. It punches harder then the 660TI and if we're tossing around this kind of money, I think the 660TI starts to lose its appeal. Now, which one? Probably the PNY, but I would suggest you look up how well each company handles warranties and their customer service in general. As far as I can tell they both have the same length of warranty (3 years), and ANY manufacturer can give you a bad card, so if PNY checks out I'd probably go with them.

But when I want a 670, I'm not slinging £250+ around, so that's up to you. :D

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By BigBoss1911

Id go with the 7970. Never heard anything bad about XFX.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

@Mirado said:

@Vestigial_Man: First off, the UK really seems to get raked over the coals when it comes to hardware pricing. That EVGA card, for instance is only about £215.99 here in the US (after conversion, obviously). Alas, not much we can do about that, but I'm bringing it up because it sort of skews the value proposition end of things. Usually I'd have a very clear answer about going with a 660TI vs a 670, but the higher prices imbalance things a bit.

Anyway, my money goes to the 670. It punches harder then the 660TI and if we're tossing around this kind of money, I think the 660TI starts to lose its appeal. Now, which one? Probably the PNY, but I would suggest you look up how well each company handles warranties and their customer service in general. As far as I can tell they both have the same length of warranty (3 years), and ANY manufacturer can give you a bad card, so if PNY checks out I'd probably go with them.

But when I want a 670, I'm not slinging £250+ around, so that's up to you. :D

Welcome to Europe? £250 for a 670 isn't that bad tbh. Usually anything under £300 is a good deal. Also £260 for that 7970 is a ridiculous deal.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jams

PNY has been around for a long ass time. One of my first graphics cards was from PNY Verto Geforce 4 MX440.

God damn. I remember I got it because I was tired of running Counter Strike in software render mode. Sorry for the sudden burst of nostalgia.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mirado

@AlexW00d: AMD cards always seem to be way better on paper then they are in practice, usually thanks to some driver issues. At least in my experience. Either way, the 7970 cannot keep up with the 670 in most games, so with the similar prices of the PNY 670 and the 7970, my choice remains the same.

As for Euro pricing....well, that sucks. I never pay any attention as I have no reason to, so to see a 670 go for 680 money is kinda odd.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

@Mirado: I meant in terms of money for the AMD, I wasn't actually recommending it.

And if you think paying an extra 20% or so on PC components is bad, you should try paying more than 100% extra for fuel :(

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By granderojo

I've had horrible experiences with AMD drivers. I would go with either 670.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

PNY would be my vote, or the EVGA. Those are the most consistently solid nVidia brands you can go with. If you wanted to go a little crazier I'd suggest looking for an MSI, but it sounds like you want more of a solid reliable purchase, so either the PNY or EVGA. Either way, you'll be happy.

Grasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grasu

Geforce 2 Ultra is what I recommend. You will need the extra power to run Quake 3 at a stable 60 fps in 32 bit. And remember, Halo will come out built with Geforce 2 in mind.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

@Grasu:

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BurBan_Snake

yep, get the pny as i said.. cheaper for the same product!

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vamino
    @Vestigial_Man

I'm not keen on the coolers they use on EVGA. They tend to run louder and hotter than others you can get, in my experience. I like Asus and Gigabyte's dual (or triple) fan coolers if you can get those (and fit it in your case).

Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II       

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 

Clearly a bit more expensive though.. No idea if those are the cheapest ones on the site though, just quick finds as examples.

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By morkaithewolf

I own an XFX 7970 and I've had only one hang up since buying it, my power supply almost couldn't support it. When I bought my current one (some 775W model, forgot the manufacturer at the moment), I didn't plan on getting a higher end video card that would need so much power. I lucked out and had the right connections but definitely make sure you have the proper connections before dropping the money for it (That one needs a 6-pin and an 8-pin to properly power it). Beside that hang up, I'm loving it. I've been able to play all my games and do video editing no issues at all. (Should also note I installed the beta AMD drivers just cause I wanted to try them with Far Cry 3 and it works beautifully)

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuCTR

I got the GeForce GTX 570 Jeff got on that tested live stream years ago. It still runs everything perfectly. Far Cry 3 is literally the only thing on my Steam list that I can't run at full settings. Just get that (and watch that Tested video for other hardware advice) it's probably dirt cheap now.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pr1mus

Personally i'd take an nVidia card over an AMD one. As for the brands all three you listed are good reliable brands.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slaegar

I know I'm a bit late, but PNY is not the greatest of brands. I would avoid them. They may have gotten better since yesteryear, but it only takes one image of a GPU cooled by a piece of tinfoil with a fan glued to it once to avoid them.

EVGA is a good brand. 

Vamino mentioned Asus and Gigabyte which are also very good brands. He also pointed out brands with non-stock cooling that tend to be cooler and quieter than reference model cards.

XFX is a fine brand. An AMD 7970 should be pretty comparable to an Nvidia 670. AMD's drivers are fine and all that, Nvidia does have the advantage of supporting 3D games out of the box as well as their new adaptive V-sync.

edit: The disadvantage of the 7970 compared to the 670 is the length of the card and the power draw are higher. Not by a lot, but if you have a tiny case in mind, it might be worth looking into.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Franstone

I'd go for the 670 (either one), keep an eye out for the best warranty/support reviews.

No personal experience w/ either brand but they've both been around for a while.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Kidavenger said:

PNY is the only one I don't recognize, the rest are all fine, not saying anything about PNY other than I've never heard of them.

EVGA is a premium brand, they are probably overpriced for what it is.

XFX used to have a very good warranty program, no idea if it's still in effect, but they were the best in that regard.

Wait, how the hell have you never heard of PNY? They're one of the 3-4 major nVidia manufacturers. They've been around forever.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Ben_H

Can't go wrong either way. EVGA, PNY and XFX are all well known brands. For AMD vs. Nvidia, it doesn't really matter anymore. AMD if fine now. I've been using them for 8 years and never had an issue with them at all, or with the drivers. My first ATI card was an X800 and prior to that I was running a BFG Nvidia GeForce 2 for many years. Most of the bad press around AMD/ATI is just remnant from a very long time ago.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

7950 all day plus they throw in some good games, last I checked it was Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Daveyo520

I have an XFX Radeon 7850 and it does the job alright.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By OldManLight

i bought the mid range AMD (7770) recently and it runs about every game that came out this fall very smoothly at High settings at 1920x1080. i'd imagine the 7970 would be even nicer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.