Graphics Card Help!

#1 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1396 posts) -

Hey guys, I just build my first PC, and I think it went pretty smoothly. When I booted up the the PC, however, I got a message saying "Please power down and connect the PCIe power cable(s) for this graphics card". I have a PNY GTX 670 and a Corsair TX650M, and the GTX came with only one 6-pin PCIe power cable. What am I doing wrong?

#2 Edited by Indiana_Jenkins (382 posts) -

Your power supply should have come with some extra cables.

At least mine did.

EDIT: You definitely need two 6 pin power cables running to your card.

#3 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Have you checked that connection? That's where I'd start.

Those particular cables can sometimes require more force than expected to properly connect them. Usually the little flange piece will make an audible snapping sound when it's fully connected.

#4 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

First, make sure you have the GPU completely seated.

Second, for a 670 you need to plug in 2 6 pin power cables(some GPUs require a 8 pin and a 6 pin) unless I'm mistaken. Also you're power supply should have at least 2 6 pin power cords.

#5 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Blow on the card, it usualy help.

#6 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

What in Finland are you talking about?

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4562 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

@SmilingPig said:

You have Nintendo in your user name and you don't know what he's talking about?
#8 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@SmilingPig said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

#9 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

@Spoonman671 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@SmilingPig said:

I completely get that (hell, I did it 2 days ago), but consider for the moment that OP might actually try doing that. While the computer is running.

See how that might be bad?

#10 Edited by myketuna (1654 posts) -

Overlooking the blowing on the card advice...

Execute a do-over. Turn off your computer. Unplug the card and any cables connected and do it all over. The power supply you bought should have some extra cables for cards like yours (usually labeled PCI-E and/or have a different color connector). Fill up any and all PCI-E connectors on the card (probably 2 in your case) and plug those into the power supply. Try turning your computer on again.

#11 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1396 posts) -

Ahhh, I didn't understand the logic behind the two 6+2 pin PCIe cables that came with the psu, until I looked on the back of the cpu and put 2+2 together. Derp, thanks guys.

#12 Posted by Elusionar (309 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@SmilingPig said:

@Spoonman671 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@SmilingPig said:

I completely get that (hell, I did it 2 days ago), but consider for the moment that OP might actually try doing that. While the computer is running.

See how that might be bad?

I don’t, in fact I spray the inside of my pc on a regular basis, it’s the best way to clean it.

#13 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Elusionar: I agree blowing on it with compressed air while it's turned off is great. Blowing on it with your moisture-laden breath while it's turned on is risky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.