Great old school PC rpgs (not D&D based)?

#1 Posted by MrOldboy (869 posts) -

I've had a hankering to play an old school rpg. I've been trying to find a non-party based and non-D&D based game for PC.

I've played BG and other D&D games, but I'm looking for something different. I cant remember one I played in the past that did not fit the two stipulations I gave above, of those considered old school at least. Not looking for jrpgs.

I'd even settle for a modern "old school aesthetic" rpg for pc like Eschalon.

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

Have you tried the Gothic 1 and 2? They're kind of rough around the edges, but worth playing nonetheless. 

I also recommend Divine Divinity.

#3 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

You're going to have a tough time, because old school CRPG basically means DnD ports.

For what it's worth, Gothic 1 is pretty dope. Never got around to Gothic 2, but I've heard it's the high point of the series.

#4 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Risen is on sale at steam today.

#5 Posted by MrOldboy (869 posts) -

Never played Gothic, never wanted to at the time. Will check that out.

#6 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

By non-D&D, do you mean the ruleset, or the license in general(Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil)? Most (if not all) CRPGs back then relied on a variant of the D20 system.

I'd suggest Fallout 1 & 2. They both start off a bit hard, but they still hold up today IMO. They doesn't force party members on you, but they're greatly appreciated in those games.

#7 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Butano said:

By non-D&D, do you mean the ruleset, or the license in general(Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil)? Most (if not all) CRPGs back then relied on a variant of the D20 system.

I'd suggest Fallout 1 & 2. They both start off a bit hard, but they still hold up today IMO. They doesn't force party members on you, but they're greatly appreciated in those games.

Not only that Fallout 1 & 2 hold up with Bethesda's "fallout" version they are actually better. Combat might be rough by todays standarts but the story makes up for any gameplay flew. Fallout 3 was is all about how much shit they could they condense into a single game as apposed to the old fallout game which were all about how much substance the shit we put in has. Did I mention that the story is 100 times better?

#8 Posted by Owlhead (153 posts) -

Does Rogue count?

If so, I strongly recommend it

#9 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

non party based? non-D&D?

check out Silver and Revenant

it's been ages since I played them so I only have my fond memories :) (never finished any of them though ...'cause I was young and stupid and aside from SNES RPGs, my only other experience was Diablo^^)

maybe check out Sanitarium, too? as far as I know it's more adventure-y but it has the same isometric camera and look to it as games like Baldur's Gate

#10 Edited by MrOldboy (869 posts) -

I've played the original fallout games quite a bit. Avadon interested me when it was on sale on steam, but the demo didn't interest me at all. Its s turn and party based game as far as I can tell.

Rogue is fun for me in short bursts, but I am looking for something a bit more in depth in terms of story/character progression.

The main reason I want an old school rpg is that I want a game I can play on my macbook/bootcamp while at my gf's. It's also just coincidence that I really want to play an old school rpg. I've just gotten sort of sick of the D&D ruleset games, but most games of that era used them, hence why I asked for a specific type of game here.

I'll check out Gothic, and maybe I'll just have to stick with a D&D game to fulfill my old school rpg itch.

I may check out some of the Might and Magic games, I barely played this series, and maybe an Ultima game, a bit before my time I think (at least the earlier games). Which games is these series are considered the "best" or favorites to go back to?

edit: Divine Divinity also, always meant to check it out, never did.

#11 Posted by Nentisys (892 posts) -

@mosdl said:

While I really liked Risen, its not really a "old school" RPG.

#12 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

@mosdl said:

While I really liked Risen, its not really a "old school" RPG.

Gothic was mentioned and Risen is by the same guys.

There is always Dragon Age: Origins

#13 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

Was Planescape: Torment DnD based? If not, pick that one!

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11725 posts) -

@Dtat said:

Was Planescape: Torment DnD based? If not, pick that one!

Yes, Planescape is technically a D&D game. But really, you should play it anyways because the D&D license is incidental to the rest of the game.

Otherwise, I would pimp the Might and Magic series (especially VI and VII), Divine Divinity, and Wizardry 8. The last one is a little hard to find though, so I guess Fallout is an answer that I will give in its place.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Temple of Elemental Evil, because fuck what you said about non D&D games :P.

#16 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@MrOldboy: How long was the demo for Avadon? Spiderweb usually gives you giant demos but Avadon is meant to appeal to a broader range of people so the tutorialized bit is considerably longer than usual and the game takes a while to get going. The writing is pretty good, and the story is basically about low-fantasy espionage, so if that seems cool to you maybe give it another try when it goes back on sale?

#17 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@MrOldboy said:

edit: Divine Divinity also, always meant to check it out, never did.

Yeh, do check it out, kind of buggy in places, feel/tone of the game is great though.

Ultima games arent D&D right? Available on GOG for cheap too.

#18 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

The best non D&D old school RPGs are Arcanum and Fallout 1 and 2

#19 Posted by MrOldboy (869 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle: maybe an hour. It looked interesting, but I wasn't looking for a party based combat game, which it looked like Avadon was.

For now I am going to try and play

Divine Divinity, go deeper into Eschalon book II perhaps, and maybe give some D&D based games a further look that I never played that are on GOG.

I second all the mentions for FO I & II, but I've already played those.

#20 Edited by TopSteer (656 posts) -
#21 Posted by KoolAid (936 posts) -

I just picked up titan quest on Steam. It's not that old school though but I didn't play it first time around

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.