Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Grid of lines or dots on foliage in my games?

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrGetBonus

So, I have this problem with some games on my PC. Basically when I look at grass, bushes, really leafy trees, or anything like that, there appears to be a grid of lines going across my screen where the foliage is. If I look around it almost looks like the leaves are moving a bit because I'm moving the lines up and down the screen. I first noticed it on a certain level in CoD4 without a lot of grass and thought it might be some weird issue there since I hadn't noticed it before but now that I'm playing Crysis I notice it a lot more. It's like the grid only shows up when I'm looking at foliage because lines seem to go across the screen, stop where theres open space or dirt, and then continue on another bush on the other side of the screen. Also, it's only like that from a distance. Up close its normal.

Anyway, I'll try to post a screenshot or small video to illustrate what I'm trying to say in case this isn't very common or I'm not making any sense but any help would be appreciated.

Oh and here's spec in case it matters.
    GTX 280 SLI
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    4GB Ram
    Vista 32-bit SP1

Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Apex

It could be artifacting from an overheated graphics card. I'll wait until you've posted a screenshot or video but its worth checking your graphics card's temperature.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Lunarbunny

Need a screenshot because your description could be a few things.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gizmo

Sounds like what happens when a Xbox 360 gets a E74.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrGetBonus

Also,  if I zoom in on some leaves it seems like the leaves get "thicker" and if I zoom back it out looks "thinner" and more pixelated. However, if I move closer to the tree the same distance the zoom simulates, it still looks like the first pic in each of these examples. The whole "grid" thing is hard to show in a screen shot as the trees just look like the first pic. It's not a blatantly obvious flaw unless I'm looking at the forests in Crysis moving the screen around....then all the foliage looks crappy. Also, not sure if it's related but the all the foliage brightness kinda flickers when I look around at nighttime.

http://s5.tinypic.com/xnsuw3.jpg
    http://s5.tinypic.com/2q2irt3.jpg

and

http://s5.tinypic.com/984j1x.jpg
    http://s5.tinypic.com/rt262d.jpg

Hard to tell on the screens though.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DeadlyPain

i can't see anything wrong in those images.....

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Yeah, they look fine to me as well. :P

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gizmo

They look really awesome, I wouldn't complain :)

Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Apex
    MrGetBonus said:

"Also,  if I zoom in on some leaves it seems like the leaves get "thicker" and if I zoom back it out looks "thinner" and more pixelated. However, if I move closer to the tree the same distance the zoom simulates, it still looks like the first pic in each of these examples."

This is because when you zoom in you are focusing down the scope. Crysis portrays this realistically by blurring out the background as you focus through the reflex sight. The leaves of the trees are made of a sprite with sharp edges that don't blur fantastically and as a result they can appear simply thicker instead of bluring smoothly as was intended. 

I'm struggling to see the grid of lines in any of those pictures though.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrGetBonus

Yeah the lines can't be seen in a screen shot. They aren't weird colored lines. It's almost transparent white. It seems like the screens don't really do justice to what I'm trying to explain. Let's try again.

http://s5.tinypic.com/1zb9k5s.jpg

and

http://s5.tinypic.com/140fdll.jpg

The first pic, I'm standing still. The second one, I'm moving. Is there some setting that makes the leaves always look like the second pic? I like the fuller look of the trees. They seem too see through in the first one.

Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Apex
    So basically you want to blur the leaves constantly? There is a setting that will give you a similar effect that you can enable in the console. Type in 'r_UseEdgeAA' without the apostrophes then type either 0, 1 or 2. For more information read the quotation below from the page I linked:

r_UseEdgeAA [0,1,2] - This setting controls the level of edge blurring applied to reduce the impact of jagged edges in the game, particularly on foliage. A value of 1 applies some mild edge blurring, which can reduce the jaggedness and shimmering of the image, but will reduce FPS slightly; a value of 2 further blurs/thickens jagged edges for another potential drop in FPS. You can see an animated image quality comparison of it by clicking here: Crysis_EdgeAA.gif (530KB). Note this setting will only work if your Shaders Quality setting is on High or above, and can't work in conjunction with normal AA; Edge AA is automatically disabled when regular AA is enabled.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrGetBonus

Ah, well it's not perfect but that did help a lot. Thanks Apex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.