Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Guide - How to fix Windows 8

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#1  Edited By Kidavenger

With the release of Windows 8.1, Windows 8 is now capable of the same functionality that made windows 7 great while adding improved performance.

1. The first step is to make sure you have the 8.1 update, this isn't an auto update, the only way to get it is through the Windows 8 app store.

Now that you have the update, there are a few configurations that need to be done:

-right click on the task bar

-properties

-navigation tab

make sure you look like this
    make sure you look like this

You now have a start menu that behaves basically the same way windows 7 did except it's full screen and you need to right click to get control panel/admin functions.

2. The next task is to get rid of windows 8 applications, this was/is the main issue with windows 8, these apps are garbage on a PC and are somewhat frustrating to get out of.

First step is to delete all windows 8 applications, there are 6 that you can't delete, Store, PC settings, Photos, Camera, Desktop, Onedrive

-Start menu, right click on each windows 8 application, (you should be able to identity them by the icons) uninstall.

3. Finally, set up new default programs, this will make sure you never get sent to any of the remaining windows 8 applications and repair all of the remaining defaults to proper desktop programs

-you'll find the default application program in the control panel, everything left in there other than Photos should be desktop apps, go through the list one by one and "set this program as default" for each one; you should probably start with your least used program and end with your most used program to ensure that the program you use most of the time is the default in case there are multiple programs capable of handling a particular task.

That's it, you have the best version of windows working the way you want it to.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Win 8.1 is fine. Aside from some file associations and the SkyDrive stuff, I didn't need to make any changes to be happy with it. I don't even use the "better" Start menu, because it really doesn't matter.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Man, it's good you're here to tell me how I want windows to work. Thanks.

Pinning, jumplists and shortcut keys >> any start meny ever. Mousing around is for weaklings with RSI. And stock win8 is completely fine.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Haha, this is exactly what I did when I installed win8 as well. Definitely made the OS more usable to me.

Sadly even 8.1 isn't as good as 7 when dealing with unstable overclocks, so I went back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.