Hardest PC Game You Ever Played/Completed

• 92 results
#1 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

Just thought this would be interesting topic.... some of the older games back when i was playing games the Amiga's and Atari's were harder to complete then a lot of games are today..... So... without further a do... which was was your toughest game you played?

I'll start by saying Far Cry 1 was really tough, especially at the end with all the freakin rockets... Ghost Master last level was near impossible unless you unlocked the specific ghosts at specific times...

#2 Posted by serbsta (1867 posts) -

I gotta say MDK, that game drove me nuts.

#3 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

Quake on Nightmare difficulty was quite hard.

#4 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

I Wanna Be The Guy

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

Ultimate Doom on the hardest difficutly without cheating, now that was fucking hard.

#6 Posted by BionicIguana (140 posts) -

Various Tom Clancey games, I suck ass at those :P

#7 Posted by solidphoenix (286 posts) -

The Brood War campaign from Starcraft is uber hard.

#8 Edited by xruntime (1920 posts) -
BionicIguana said:
"Various Tom Clancey games, I suck ass at those :P"
Definitely. One of my favorite games!

Far Cry was hard too. Doom on nightmare, that too.
#9 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

I'd say Heroes Of Might And Magic 3 is the hardest game I've ever beat. On the harder maps you have to do everything right from the very beginning or you'll get obliterated by the AI's armies. The campaign is quite lengthy as well so it felt good when I was able to complete it.

Soldier Of Fortune 2 is the hardest game I can think of that I never beat. Damn enemies with their x-ray sight shooting you miles away though the fog and darkness. Ugh.

#10 Posted by Buck (148 posts) -

I would say S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadows of Chernobyl. 
The end of that game was sick, especially if you never got the exoskeleton suit and your current armor was at 43%... Like what happened to me.
I had use trainers/cheat for that last part, awsome game though :)

#11 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -
Demilich said:
"I Wanna Be The Guy"
This.
I FUCKING HATE THAT GAME SO MUCH. :@
#12 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

lol some good ones... keep em comming!!!

Cannon Fodder was another one for me.... that took freakin AGES!!!

#13 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

Hmm, I'm not really sure, but I'd pick S.T.A.L.K.E.R, I have yet to finish that game

#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -
solidphoenix said:
"The Brood War campaign from Starcraft is uber hard."
Holy shit, now that you mention it, that was insane compared to the original campaign, good thing I had the walkthrough to give me a quick run down or I would have been stuck for years.
#15 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

lol...

You know what was a pretty hard game and it was recently actually..... n thats Dracula : Origins (an adventure game) if your into adventures thats a really good one, but some of the puzzles i dont think you would EVER guess how to do unless you had a walkthrough with you, some of those were ass hard.... some were difficult to pull off even "with" the walkthrough lol

#16 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"lol...

You know what was a pretty hard game and it was recently actually..... n thats Dracula : Origins (an adventure game) if your into adventures thats a really good one, but some of the puzzles i dont think you would EVER guess how to do unless you had a walkthrough with you, some of those were ass hard.... some were difficult to pull off even "with" the walkthrough lol"
This game?

#17 Posted by MelRliiN (23 posts) -

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

#18 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

Farcry was evil. Especially on the harder difficulties!

#19 Posted by insanejedi (655 posts) -

X-Wing Alliance. Got to the Super Star Destroyer... Couldn't beat it.

#20 Posted by Tanuki (275 posts) -

I'd say Far Cry 1.  But it's not like that game was hard in a fair way or anything.  I mean, everything was essentially designed to well... fuck... the player over... and over... and over again.  Enemies with automatic rocket launchers as hands who take 100 bullets with a chaingun to the head at point blank range?  I like difficult games, but I like them to be fair... Far Cry was a blast though up until the Trygen.

#21 Posted by Lotan (217 posts) -

F.E.A.R. on the hardest setting.

#22 Posted by chandlerr_360 (110 posts) -

Half Life 2...damn it that game had me baffled every time I turned a corner.

#23 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I can't remember which one but it was a Tom Clancy game.

#24 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -
chandlerr_360 said:
"Half Life 2...damn it that game had me baffled every time I turned a corner."

#25 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -
Bucketdeth said:
"VACkillers said:
"lol...

You know what was a pretty hard game and it was recently actually..... n thats Dracula : Origins (an adventure game) if your into adventures thats a really good one, but some of the puzzles i dont think you would EVER guess how to do unless you had a walkthrough with you, some of those were ass hard.... some were difficult to pull off even "with" the walkthrough lol"
This game?

"

Yeah dude that'd be the game lol

#26 Edited by chandlerr_360 (110 posts) -
Demilich said:
"chandlerr_360 said:

"
Ummm...I guess I missed the joke?
#27 Posted by Dakota (248 posts) -
chandlerr_360 said:
"Demilich said:
"chandlerr_360 said:

"
Ummm...I guess I missed the joke?"
I think he was stumped by your answer, as Half-Life 2 is quite an easy game.
#28 Posted by jkmetal (95 posts) -

Devil May Cry 3 for p.c. Level 18. That's all I have to say.

System Shock 2. May nerves were so fried it made it hard to beat. (but I couldn't stay away)

Far Cry kicked my ass, cut it off while I was face down on the ground, cooked it and served it to me on a sliver platter. 

#29 Edited by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

Far Cry on the hardest difficulty is freaking hard. Especially at the end of the last level, when you have to fight like 10 of those rocket launcher guys at once. The last level of STALKER was quite hard too, especially since I was out of those antirad things and I had to constantly use bandages and medkits to heal myself because of the radiation while fighting all those Monolith guys in the exoskeleton suits. And Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six were pretty tough too.

Edit: Also Freespace 2 on the hardest difficulty is extremely hard too.

#30 Posted by DeadlyPain (397 posts) -

Half life.....

i completed half life 2 before number 1 :/

#31 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -
DeadlyPain said:
"

Half life.....

i completed half life 2 before number 1 :/

"
lol....
Half Life 1 was definitely a lot harder then the HL2 series
#32 Posted by biggest_loser (219 posts) -

Thief.

#33 Posted by Major (506 posts) -

World of warcraft

#34 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

never played Theif...

some of the puzzles in prince of persia sands of time were very tough i thought..... actually i feel ashamed to say, i had to get the wife to help me out with some of the jumping crap lol.......

#35 Posted by TMThomsen (2071 posts) -

Call of Duty 2 on Veteran difficulty - Without a doubt the hardest game I've ever completed.

I also think Half-Life 1 was pretty hard.. can't really remeber though. Been a long time since I played it.. perhaps I just sucked back then? :P

#36 Posted by SG_Mahonay (105 posts) -

MDK.

#37 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

no HL1 was pretty tough TM, especially at the end and 2nd to last level on the alien world, was very confusing lol

#38 Posted by vash47 (20 posts) -

Mafia

#39 Posted by Josef_Nastra (102 posts) -

That would have to be the end of Baldur's Gate. Though i haven't completed it yet. Baldur's Gate 2 was much easier.
And i haven't really come across any newer games that challenged me that much yet. I'll make another post if i think of something! :)

#40 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
solidphoenix said:
"The Brood War campaign from Starcraft is uber hard."
That is very hard. Especially the Zerg
#41 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Demilich said:
"I Wanna Be The Guy"
I new someone would say this.

Knew it.
#42 Posted by Hewkii (190 posts) -

Riven. quite possibly the only game more difficult than Myst.

#43 Posted by Tides (8 posts) -

Ghost Recon 2, not advanced warfighter but just Ghost Recon. Hardest difficulty I couldn't beat the first part of the the first level and I'm no n00b. I was SO mad.

#44 Posted by Crono (2653 posts) -

Damn someone already said Theif... but that game was both fun and hard.  A great mix that is seldom seen anymore.

#45 Posted by _blank (51 posts) -

hmmm i would have to say original bionic comando and contra. Those games were not nice to beginners back then :(

#46 Posted by Big_Brother (19 posts) -

Star troopers started it today on hard after 3 hours just now on the second level

#47 Posted by lamiafusion (67 posts) -

The first version of DMC 3 (on highest diff) before they fixed some stuff

#48 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

bulders gate......  dunno if it was very difficult, but it was sure long...

#49 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

The Neverhood.

#50 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -
Tanuki said:
I'd say Far Cry 1.  But it's not like that game was hard in a fair way or anything.  I ... [more]
Game was BROKEN, AI would shoot you through tents, walls, etc without even visually seeing you.

Quake 3 Arena on the hardest difficulty took a lot of time for me though to beat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.