Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

HDMI over Ethernet

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of rigging one of my PCs to be usable as a desktop in my study or as a gaming PC in the living room.

To do this I intended to use hdmi via Ethernet adaptors to run the signal from my GTX570 through two 15m cat6 cables under the floor to my tv, accompanied by a usb over Ethernet cable to give me a hub for controllers, etc.

The problem I have encountered while testing everything is that the tv is getting no signal with the 15m Ethernet cables.

It works fine with shorter lengths of cable, which I suspect means that the issue is my video card not outputting a strong enough signal (the adaptors can support up to 150m of Ethernet cable apparently and is compatible with cat6, so I don't think the issue is there.)

So, with this being the issue, and me needing to use 15m lengths of cable, I was hoping if anyone who has experience with this kind of thing could help me, as I know we have some cluey duders here. My thoughts on potential solutions:

- 15m hdmi cable - would this have any input lag issues? Would I have the same signal problem?

- buy a powered hdmi signal booster (any experience with these? Any potential issues with the hdmi over ethernet?)

- Buy powered hdmi to Ethernet adaptors (not preferred unless I need to due to cost)

- upgrade the video card (will be happening in the next 6 months anyway, but not ideal right now due to cost)

Anyway, I hope someone can help. I've found a lot of conflicting data online while researching this stuff, and I would trust people here more than some random Tom's Hardware forum post from 2011.

Cheers!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have never tried running video through a cat6 cable, but I have a 12m HDMI cable running through my wall. The cheapest cable that I tried did not work too well, but then I spent a little more money and bought an HDMI 1.4 cable and everything worked just fine. I noticed a little bit of lag (so little I only noticed it in Rock Band), but it would only be worse with any other option short of keeping the PC next to your TV. The only other thing that I noticed was that sometimes the HDCP handshake did not work, so I had to unplug the cable every now and then. Since I stopped watching Blu-Ray's this has not been an issue anymore.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: cheers for the info duder. If you don't mind me asking, what price did you pay for the different qualities of cable?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monetarydread

I paid something like $60 for my expensive cable and $35 for the one that didn't work properly.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rick_Fingers

Cheers, much appreciated

getmeon19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you very much , i love this

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I dunno where you live, but in Canada the store Winner's occasionally has some brand name HDMI cables for super cheap. I bought either a 25 meter monster cable or Rocket Fish cable for around $12. I think the American equivalent to Winner's is Marshall's.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By monetarydread

@liquidprince said:

I dunno where you live, but in Canada the store Winner's occasionally has some brand name HDMI cables for super cheap. I bought either a 25 meter monster cable or Rocket Fish cable for around $12. I think the American equivalent to Winner's is Marshall's.

Is the cable HDMI 1.4 compliant? That is the important part because HDMI 1.3 or slower can only handle 1080i, plus it has transmission issues over long distances. Also, the thing about Winners is that they only sell merchandise they can get for nearly free. Since there is no consistent stock, there is a good chance that you cannot find an HDMI cable there, or if you do it might not be the same cable, or the same price. That is a great deal though, even the cheap 50 foot (15m) HDMI cables on Monoprice are $.75 a foot.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rick_Fingers

I live in Australia, so no winners here (ha!)

I would most likely buy any hdmi cables off ebay considering they cost ridiculous amounts in even cheap electronic stores here.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jking47

Use newegg, retail stores usually jack the prices on cables way up. Newegg page for HDMI cables is here.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#13  Edited By audioBusting

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.