Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

HDMI to USB Adapter

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Quesa

My PC does not have a working HDMI port, and I wanted to connect my PC to my HDTV. I'm thinking of going USB-to-HDMI adapter, but I'm not sure which one to get. Does anyone have some recommendations for this?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mosdl

Do you have a dvi port? DVI-HDMI adapters are aplenty.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SexyToad

@mosdl said:

Do you have a dvi port? DVI-HDMI adapters are aplenty.

That. Go to your local BestBuy. Last time I was there I saw a bunch. Also why not upgrade your graphic card? My pc didn't have a hdmi port either but I bought a graphic card for about $40. It looks amazing, plus I'm able to run most games on medium graphics.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quesa

I had an HDMI port, but it got busted. And my TV only has one HDMI port on it, so I'd have to constantly swap cables If I went between the DVI/HDMI cable and the regular one I use for consoles (unless there's a fmale version of the HDMI end of a DVI cable). Is USB HDMI really that shitty?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mosdl

I've never heard of USB to HDMI from a pc honestly

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SexyToad

Hdmi by USB sounds really shiity. There are switchers you could buy. Such as this one. So you don't have constantly be unplugging and re-plugging. A flip of the switch.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quesa

That sounds like it'll work. Any recs for a specific cable? Would need a fairly long one.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stete

I second that USB to HDMI must be really shitty if possible.Your laptop may have an S-video port which although not very ideal would do the job. But seriously, it MUST have a VGA port, I mean every single laptop I have had and I have seen in existence has a VGA port so use that.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By louiedog

@Flabbergastrate said:

That sounds like it'll work. Any recs for a specific cable? Would need a fairly long one.

Get one from monoprice.com or firefold.com. The prices are good and work just as well as something that Best Buy will charge you 5x as much for. You might want to think about getting a long regular HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI adapter for it. That way you can use it with your next laptop's HDMI port and other devices.

edit: Oh, and remember that you'll also need to run separate audio with this setup. I assume the USB to HDMI converters include that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.