Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help? :(

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

I had Windows Vista 32 bit until the other day something went wrong. I kept getting (Not Responding) problems. Sometimes it would just be for a minute, sometimes I would be able to move the mouse but not click anything, others the mouse simply wouldn't respond. I ran chkdsk and that seemingly reset Windows settings. Same problems though. Another chkdsk and I couldn't get to the desktop due to a missing file.

So I bought Windows 7 since the computer didn't come with a Windows Vista disc. Installed it and got an error, \Windows\system32\winload.exe is missing or corrupt. I managed to run chkdsk. After that it installed and got to the desk top. HOWEVER, I'm still getting the (Not Responding) problems so everything runs super slow. Seems like it does it if I'm doing multiple things. Also, when I reboot it attempts to do a chkdsk that I can't skip until it's down to 1. I'm afraid it's going to delete files that don't need deleted. 

Someone recommended I do a completely clean install since I had some old files under a backup folder. I did that and I'm still getting (Not Responding) all the time. It will freeze and no matter what I click nothing will happen.... until suddenly it will do everything at once. 

I tried installing updates but I got  "Failure configuring Windows Updates." 

Help?

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By ApolloJ85
    @Barrock: I presume when you say 'clean install', you mean you formatted your hard drive, and formatted it well. After which you installed a legit version of windows 7? In any case, you might be better off posting on tested.com
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

Unfortunately, I have no advice for you since I'm a Windows XP using dinosaur, but I eagerly await all the "lol use mac" posts to follow.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Barrock

I think I formatted. It deleted everything off of it. I went by this,
      http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm
     And yes, it is a legit version.

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By ApolloJ85

Stuff missing/corrupt in the system32 folder should have been fixed by a clean install of windows 7. 
    The whole slow down thing might be a result of low RAM, or you may have a virus - failure to configure windows updates indicates that RAM is not the real issue. 

Which leaves a virus as a real possibility, but from my knowledge, a complete wipe of your hard drives should fix that. I suspect that the clean install of windows 7 may not be as clean as you think.

Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Noted

If you know you did a clean install, it's a hardware error.

If you've got a Dell PC, you can boot into the diagnostic mode and do all sorts of tests 
    Get and run Memtest
    Get and run One of these, depening on harddrive brand
    Do a stress test
    Look at the logs in windows (Right click my computer -> Manage -> Event viewer) - it's unlikely you'll find anything there, but...
    If all else fails, bring your computer to someone who can help you.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

it might be your hardrive that has gone haywire. Could you test it?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By Hamst3r

My initial guess is that either your RAM or your motherboard is shot. You can try messing around with the RAM some; swapping the order they're in, trying one at a time and whatnot to see if the situation improves, if not, I'd just go straight to replacing the motherboard.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Barrock

I've run the memory test several times and it didn't come up with anything.

Under Event Viewer I've got a Kernel-Power error under critical. 2 of those. Under errors there is WindowsUpdate, SideBySide and Eventlog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.