Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help a Noob Build a Bad Gaming PC?

ArtfulDodger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArtfulDodger88

It's something that's hard to explain to people, wanting to build a non-bleeding-edge PC for gaming. I'm pretty much a console purist, with no experience when it comes to PC tinkering or graphics card selection. It seems like the process might be simpler with the creedo "get the newest bits you can afford" but it gets complex fast when wading through years of dated hardware looking for a bargain. So here's what I'm looking for:
    I want to build a tv console type pc box (htpc?) that will run a handful of steam indie titles, and some windows homebrew stuff. The most demanding software I'd want to run would be starcraft 2. I would like to use gamepads with it (snes usb controllers!) and pairing bluetooth controllers would be useful, so I guess I would need a bluetooth card? I have a friend getting rid of their old computer parts, so most of the box is put together, tho all I can say off the top of my head is it's got an i5 processor. I need a graphics card and a power source.

What I'm not looking for: I don't want an Ouya or Steam box. Neither are flexible enough to run the homebrew windows games of yore, I'm thinking Super Mario Wars. I don't want a streaming box, I've got enough consoles doing that already. I don't want a future-proof machine, I don't see a lot of high-end pc games in my future.

So questions:

What kind of graphics card should I be looking at? I'd like to keep it cheap, but I feel like i can find something that's dated but could still run the gamut of new-retro style indie stuff i wanna play on my tv, AND my one PC game crush, SC2.

Is there any benefit to an HTPC case besides being able to fit in a media center? How hard is it to work with one of those?

Are there any app-launchers for windows that will work with a game controller?

Thanks for the help!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Have you considered foregoing a discrete graphics card entirely and just using Intel's integrated graphics? If you look for a CPU with Intel HD 5000 integrated graphics, I think that may serve your needs just fine. Not to mention it'd be a quieter machine that draws less power. Though I think only the latest Core i7 CPUs will have that. It's an option.

Edit: It seems that the 5000 series HD graphics is reserved for the mobile variants of Intel's CPUs. 4600 seems to be as good as it gets when it comes to the desktop CPUs.

ArtfulDodger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ArtfulDodger88

Ah I hadn't considered that, thanks for the idea!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.