Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help diagnosing a PC problem. (Solved)

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jtmosh

(Moderator Edit: Problem resolved, it was the PSU.)

My set up...

Windows 7 64bit

AMD 8350 8 core processor

GTX770 2gb

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard

16gb 1600mhz ram

Kingston 240gb SSD

Kingston 60gb SSD (windows is installed here)

Western Digitial 3tb HDD

I built this system about a year and a half ago. After a while I was getting a problem where the HD access light would stay solid and the entire system would slow down after playing games for awhile and sometimes lock up. But after being on for awhile, the hard drive light would just stay on and the computer would become really slow, and there didn't really seem to be and rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it would go days without happening sometimes it would happen several times in a day. Eventually it got so bad that it wouldn't even boot up. It would just lock up immediately on hitting the power. A few months ago I just decided to burn it all to the ground and start from scratch. New install of windows (on the new 60gb SSD I got. It was on the 240 previously) and format all my drives.

It was totally fine until about a week ago when I was playing Witcher 3 (and now Batman) and it started happening again. Before it would happen even when the system was idling, but now it only seems to do it when I'm playing a game. Both are installed on the 240gb SSD, so I'm thinking there may be an issue with that drive. It only really seems to happen when saving.

I've checked all the connections, changed the SATA cables and that didn't do anything. Are there any kind of diagnostics I can run to help narrow it down?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Are they on steam? It sounds like it's the SSD (seems to be the only link between your new and old builds?). If they are on steam i would use steam mover and move them over the to the hdd, uninstall the 240 ssd and see if you have the same problem. Seems like it's only happening during gaming because the games are on that old drive, where as windows was on it before?

I don't know, i'm not an expert but that would be my first guess and how i would trouble shoot it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zelyre

Your 240gb SSD sounds suspect.

I'd give your drive's SMART a look. If your drive is throwing any errors, it should show up there. I use speedfan from almico to view hard drive SMART data. Not sure if their site has fake download buttons from ads, but if you do grab speedfan, keep an eye out for that. Otherwise, some manufacturers provide tools to pull SMART data. Crystaldiskinfo has a SMART check too, but it will try to install extra junk if you don't check (Or don't not check) some boxes on installing. Never just click Next on that installer!

Some bios' have SMART tests built in as well.

You can also do a quick SMART scan without any other software, though you won't pull much information. Open a command prompt and use wmic. It will pull up a prompt that reads wmic:root\cli . "diskdrive get status" without the quotes will do a quick poll, and I assume if you have a drive that's not reporting OK will give you some sort of error.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I took Batman off the SDD, put it on the HDD and it's still happening. Two times in around thirty minutes. I ran the SMART tests on all my drives and they all seem good. Any other ideas on what it might be? One thing I've noticed is that when it happens the fan kicks on at full blast.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you checked for an over heating issue? You could try installing a tool to monitor your cpu and gpu temp and see what they are spiking at.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah could be something overheating, check your cpu/gpu temps while gaming. Also did you completely uninstall the ssd when troubleshooting the game on the hdd?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@arabes said:

Have you checked for an over heating issue? You could try installing a tool to monitor your cpu and gpu temp and see what they are spiking at.

Yeah could be something overheating, check your cpu/gpu temps while gaming. Also did you completely uninstall the ssd when troubleshooting the game on the hdd?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but his symptoms don't sound like any overheating issue I've ever heard of or experienced. Especially since he stated that the problem got so bad at one point that the machine wouldn't even boot.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

You should completely disconnect that 240gb SSD if it is the only link to your old system it has to be the offender but don't just shut it off, completely disconnect it, at least that way you can rule it out.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did consider it being an overheating issue but I don't think that's it because the symptoms don't really match up. I did end up downloading a monitor for the GPU and the temp ranges seemed normal. Haven't had a chance to do the CPU yet but that'll be next.

A buddy of mine suggested it might have something to do with the page files on the SSD Windows is installed on. I disabled those and for a while it seemed that was the solution. I logged several hours over the weekend and it didn't happen once. But then I started it up tonight after work and it happened twice in around 2 hours.

It only seems to really go bad when I'm playing a game that's taxing on my system. I played several games over the weekend that aren't as bad (I Am Bread, Ori and the Blind Forest, Not a Hero, You Must Build a Boat) and it never locked up at all.

So next thing's I'll check on are the CPU temp and the 240gb SSD. I don't think it's that SSD, though, since it's totally out of the loop on Batman. It's installed on the HDD and saves to the 60gb SSD. But anything is possible I guess. More suggestions are always welcome.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By maxszy

I'd recommend posting your issue over at pchelpforum.com Those people over there have always been extremely helpful for any PC problems I've had and troubleshooting is totally their thing. Plus its completely free! Free tech support is great.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Is it possible your power supply isn't keeping up with your GPU's demand during high stress games? It sounds like this tends to happen during heavy gaming, it could be your GPU crashing and locking up your system. I've had it happen to me a few times.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like an issue I had a few months ago and I have the same GPU. Try doing a clean install of your video drivers and flashing your GPU's BIOS. That fixed it for me.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a pc act up like that years ago. Turned out to be the frigging psu. Same symptoms, and yes I know logically the solution doesn't match up with the symptoms.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14 fisk0  Moderator

Not sure how well SeaTools work with SSD drives, but it's a pretty solid test tool for mechanical hard drives (it can do tests on all brands of hard drives, but I think they don't recommend that you use it's repair features unless it's a Seagate drive).

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jtmosh

I tried to reinstall the video drivers and flash the GPU BIOS and still nothing. My PSU is 850w so I don't think it's unable to keep up with it. Maybe it's going bad but I'm not sure.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike

@jtmosh: What is the PSU model you have, and how old is it? A wattage rating by itself is kind of meaningless.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Franstone

I always point my page file to my mechanical HDD instead of my SSD.
    All the writing isn't good for SSD lifespan.

Def get your temp readings and disconnect that suspect SSD as suggested though.
    Edit: Shit, didn't see you checked that...

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jtmosh
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mike

@jtmosh said:

@mb: This is the exact one I have. Got it when I built the system like a year and a half ago.

@franstone: Yeah, I set the page files to the HDD now.

Yikes...that thing is straight up garbage. I can't say for sure that your PSU is the problem, but it's a possibility. I would look into replacing that thing as soon as possible, or at least test with a known good PSU.

Never, ever skimp on your PSU and get a budget brand. Get something from a reputable manufacturer such as Seasonic, Corsair, or EVGA that has at least an 80+ Gold efficiency rating. For your rig you could easily use something like a 600 or 650 watt PSU.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jtmosh

@mb: I put in a new PSU. I got a 1000w EVGA 80+ Gold (I know that's way more than I need but I figured that since I'm buying a new one anyway I might as well go big for any future upgrades I want to do) and it seems to have done the trick. Before Trackmania would lock up on me after about 10 minutes but now I have no issues! It was the bad PSU causing the problem.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jtmosh: Great, glad to hear that helped! Bad PSUs can cause some strange, seemingly unrelated stability issues. It was my first thought when I saw what kind of power supply you had.

I edited your original post to indicate that the problem was fixed, since many people tend to not read the entire topic before responding.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.