Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help! Is my cpu running too hot?

Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Queequeg

I have an intel q6600 quad core processor and I'm using it at stock speed, no overclocking.  I'm using the heat sink that came in the box.  Speedfan and CPU Temp both say core0=50C, core1=49C, core2=48C, core3=47C.  The temp in my room is 25C.  Are those temps normal? 

switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By switchit

Try cooling it down with som water.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kohe321

Are those temps idle or under load? Anyways, I think those temperatures are normal for the intel quad series under a stock cooler. You could pop off the cooler and apply some quality cooling pasta on it (is it called that in English? Ah well, you know what I mean), the pasta on the stock cooler is often a bit dry and not very effective.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Megalon

That's pretty normal.

Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Queequeg

Those are temps are idle.  I already applied thermal paste when I first put the heat sink on.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kohe321

It's all good then, the temperatures are normal. I doubt you will get them down much without either forcing the cpu fan to run on 100% all the time, or swap the cooler with a more effective third party one. :)

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Kazona

What matters the most is what your temps are under load. Also there's two different versions of the Q6600. I believe they are the B3 and the G0. All the latest models are pretty much guaranteeed to be G0, which can handle higher temp than the B3 one. I think you will probably have a G0 one, but the only way to be certain is to check (just google how to do that). Anyway if you have that version, then most people would suggest to not go over 70 degrees celcius under load. Under stock speed, however, I doubt you'd have to worry about that.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Yeah, those are normal temperatures. You could probably get some heatsinks, fans, and thermal paste on Newegg though, if you want.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bioderm

I don't know about quadcores but my E8500 OC at 3.8ghz idles at around 38 and at full load it goes at around 47. I heard quadcore run much hotter than dualcores.

Did you overclock it??
    Is it stock intel fan??
    Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Queequeg

it's a G0.  ran an orthos stress test to test it under load.  the temps were from 57-63C.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By darkgoth678

yeah I couldn't really tell ya because I also have G0 Q6600, but i never used the Stock hearsink, its still sintting in the box new... I went straight to the ZALMAN CNPS9700 and i think the Q6600 never goes over 32C.

Try a different heatsink. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus
    switchit said:
    "Try cooling it down with som water."
    Yeah, open the case, and pour in a glass of crystal-clear ice water with lemon. That's what I would want if it was too hot around here.
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Rio
    darkgoth678 said:
    "yeah I couldn't really tell ya because I also have G0 Q6600, but i never used the Stock hearsink, its still sintting in the box new... I went straight to the ZALMAN CNPS9700 and i think the Q6600 never goes over 32C.

Try a different heatsink. 
    "
    That is a fantastic heatsink, I use the same one.  You sir have good taste.
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Raven

Those temps wont damage your CPU but they do seem a little hot for idle, I'm basing that off my dual core though, don't just get your temp readings from one program unless you know for sure they are correct, and your CPU temp under load is whats important so if your CPU is at an acceptable temp under load then you shouldn't worry about it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kozzy1234

Its not that hot or anything to be really worried about imo. But it could be a tad lower in temp for your cpu if thats idle (as the dude above me said).

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By The_Dude

Mine sits at a stable 35C with the freezer pro 7, but it also depends on your room temperature, and where the PC is.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By mike

I have a T9800 Core 2 Duo in this laptop and it runs at 36C idle and jumps up to 76C under heavy load.  This is a pretty beefy processor for a laptop, though.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maru

What's your temp when the 100% load is applied to cpu ??  Long as it's below 70 your fine.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Buy a new tube of thermal paste and apply it, clean out the stock thermal paste with achcohol and reapply a bit of it so it doesn't overflow and it should reduce the heat. Or buy a new heatsink and fan for your cpu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.