Help Me Justify My Purchase

#1 Posted by Chrjz (321 posts) -

So, I just bought a new video card because my current 560ti 448 has been giving me trouble. The reason I'm making this thread is that I'm usually an Nvidia man through and through, but the card I just bought was an AMD 7970.

The reason I strayed from Nvidia was a combination of the sale price being $330 plus a $30 MIR (I never trust these) and AMD's current free offer of Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution. The latter I could potentially sell but the first two I actually really wanted.

Was it a good purchase? I'd especially like to hear from anyone with a 7970.

#2 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Not bad, I'm not a fan of ATi drivers personally but $130~ in games for free isn't a bad deal. Also, you get GTX 670 level performance for like $70 less to boot. I think I payed around $400 for a 670 when they were still somewhat new. Hell all I got with my purchase was a poster and some stickers :(

Sadly, Amazon never seems to get any of these free game promos.

#3 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

That was a good purchase since you get all those games.

I'm doing just fine with my 560 ti so far, but I might upgrade when the new consoles come out.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

I'd say. A really good, though not the best, graphics card for a bit cheaper and a few free new games? Sounds like a good deal.

#5 Posted by Chrjz (321 posts) -

Thanks people, I've heard some bad things about AMD not being well supported for some games and it had me worried.

#6 Edited by timlump (152 posts) -

Good deal i'd say. My two last cards were the NVIDIA 8800 GTS 512 and the NVIDIA 9800 GTX+ but they both gave up the ghost (not overclocked I must add) , so almost in anger I switched to an AMD Radeon HD 6850 and I've been happy enough with it. The only complaints I would make are that it has unusually poor performance in Deus Ex Human Revolution in the hub worlds and that I can't use CUDA rendering in Blender now.

Edit: It was still perfectly playable in Human Revolution for 99% of the game at super high frame rates, its just that in Detroit it was a bit skippy in the open areas. I have had great performance in all other games I have so AMD drivers certainly do the job. Also AMD generally use a smaller architecture so they generally use much less power so it will cost you less to run, produce less heat and not stress out your rig as much.

#7 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

Good purchase! I have had 0 issues with mine, which feels fucking FANTASTIC after using a crossfire setup for so long. And those are some alright games as well!

#8 Posted by Chrjz (321 posts) -

For games that use PhysX is it just disabled on an AMD card or can your CPU handle it?

#9 Posted by twigger89 (277 posts) -

@Chrjz said:

For games that use PhysX is it just disabled on an AMD card or can your CPU handle it?

It's just disabled. Also AMD does have driver issues, but it's generally only a serious issue if you are doing crossfire(Believe me it can be pretty bad sometimes) but for a single card setup it will never be that bad.

#10 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Chrjz: Yeah, Like some of the other posters here, I've generally avoided AMD because too many games had incompatibility problems.

However, that's a damn good card for the price, and those games will help make it 100% worth the purchase.

#11 Posted by Chrjz (321 posts) -

Cool, now I'm just excited to get it in my machine. Anyone interested in acquiing a Hitman: Absolution at a reasonably reduced rate?

#12 Edited by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

If you cant justify your purchase to yourself, then you shouldn't turn to other people to justify it for you. If you don't have confidence in your own decisions then maybe you should think them over more before taking action. Would all of those games matter if you got a product that doesnt work? Would you be upset at the decision of purchasing a product in the end that you didnt like? there's more than one way to think this over.

Just be sure about which decisions you make and be confident it's the decision you actually want to make. I'm just being completely honest with you. Don't ever let somebody, or something, force you to change your mind about a choice you have to make.

#13 Posted by Jrinswand (1696 posts) -

I've said it before (just yesterday, in fact) and I'll say it again: I've been running ATI cards for the past 5 years and I haven't had a single problem in all that time.

#14 Edited by mordukai (7140 posts) -

@timlump said:

Good deal i'd say. My two last cards were the NVIDIA 8800 GTS 512 and the NVIDIA 9800 GTX+ but they both gave up the ghost (not overclocked I must add) , so almost in anger I switched to an AMD Radeon HD 6850 and I've been happy enough with it. The only complaints I would make are that it has unusually poor performance in Deus Ex Human Revolution in the hub worlds and that I can't use CUDA rendering in Blender now.

Edit: It was still perfectly playable in Human Revolution for 99% of the game at super high frame rates, its just that in Detroit it was a bit skippy in the open areas. I have had great performance in all other games I have so AMD drivers certainly do the job. Also AMD generally use a smaller architecture so they generally use much less power so it will cost you less to run, produce less heat and not stress out your rig as much.

Really? I have the 6780 and I got a constant 60fps throughout the whole game. Have you tired OC'ing your card? From what I read about the 6850's is that they are quite the overclockers.

#15 Edited by Chrjz (321 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

If you cant justify your purchase to yourself, then you shouldn't turn to other people to justify it for you. If you don't have confidence in your own decisions then maybe you should think them over more before taking action. Would all of those games matter if you got a product that doesnt work? Would you be upset at the decision of purchasing a product in the end that you didnt like? there's more than one way to think this over.

Just be sure about which decisions you make and be confident it's the decision you actually want to make. I'm just being completely honest with you. Don't ever let somebody, or something, force you to change your mind about a choice you have to make.

I think you need to take a step back and realize I'm just asking for clarification about buying an AMD video card. This isn't "I had to pull the plug on Grandma, help me justify my decision."

I made my choice already; I could have just as easily been told it was a horrible idea. I came here to get more input from people with more experience than me.

@Jrinswand said:

I've said it before (just yesterday, in fact) and I'll say it again: I've been running ATI cards for the past 5 years and I haven't had a single problem in all that time.

But you're not playing it... The Way It's Meant to be Played.

Only joking, that's nice to hear. Are you currently using a 7xxx series card?

#16 Posted by andmm (213 posts) -

Yeah, all this AMD has problems is crap. Got a 6970 for a while and never had a problem and can still max out everything with no problems. Solid performance for a good price, amd is great.

#17 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

@Chrjz said:

So, I just bought a new video card because my current 560ti 448 has been giving me trouble. The reason I'm making this thread is that I'm usually an Nvidia man through and through, but the card I just bought was an AMD 7970. The reason I strayed from Nvidia was a combination of the sale price being $330 plus a $30 MIR (I never trust these) and AMD's current free offer of Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution. The latter I could potentially sell but the first two I actually really wanted. Was it a good purchase? I'd especially like to hear from anyone with a 7970.

i've had a 7970 since release it's one of the best videocards i've ever had. you bought right. i play everything maxed at 2560x1600 and i think the witcher 2 is the only game i've ever had drop below 30 consistantly.

#18 Posted by timlump (152 posts) -

@mordukai: I got a consistent 60+ FPS in every part of the game except the wide open areas in detroit, so I wasn't really bothered to overclock especially considering every other game I have runs perfectly. A friend of mine with a 6950 reported similar issues, our rigs are very similar so it could just be some unusual hardware combination.

#19 Posted by timlump (152 posts) -

@Jadeskye: Performance hits are to be expected with Eastern European games, they make up for their lack of optimisation with ambition.

#20 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

@Chrjz said:

I think you need to take a step back and realize I'm just asking for clarification about buying an AMD video card. This isn't "I had to pull the plug on Grandma, help me justify my decision."

I made my choice already; I could have just as easily been told it was a horrible idea. I came here to get more input from people with more experience than me.

Make me step back then if you want to go there with me asshole. I was just trying to help you and you're bringing up dumb and irrelevant shit. If you want to sit around and have people lie to you, then go ahead. But I'm not the one sitting around on the internet trying to justify my dumb ass purchase with other people.

#21 Posted by Chrjz (321 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

@Chrjz said:

Make me step back then if you want to go there with me asshole. I was just trying to help you and you're bringing up dumb and irrelevant shit. If you want to sit around and have people lie to you, then go ahead. But I'm not the one sitting around on the internet trying to justify my dumb ass purchase with other people.

Holy hostility, Batman. I just meant that your response seemed a little heavy-handed ... I wasn't asking for life advice.

#22 Posted by Devildoll (877 posts) -

i got a 7970, people die when they are in front of me in battlefield, so I'd say its decent enough.

#23 Edited by Chrjz (321 posts) -

@Devildoll said:

i got a 7970, people die when they are in front of me in battlefield, so I'd say its decent enough.

Hve you got the latest 12.11 drivers? I've seen benchmarks that showed a massive gain in performance with BF3,

Sorry 680
#24 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

@Chrjz: that i do, i dont have the GHz edition, although I'm running mine at 1,15 GHz, i've tried 1.25, but for that i have to increase the voltage, which make it run a bit too hot on the regular cooler.

#25 Posted by Chrjz (321 posts) -

@Devildoll: Yeah, I didn't get the GHz Edition either... didn't really see the point. It's the same GPU; I can do the overclocking myself and save a few dollars.

That being said, do you have a reference model? I've heard noise and temperatures are fairly poor with stock cooling.

#26 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

@Chrjz: yeah i have the reference model, it runs at about 80c, noise isn't an issue since what i usually hear when it's that hot is gunfire through my headphones.

I've had this one since launch.

#27 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

Not a bad deal but I personally like to stick with Nvidia.

#28 Posted by theodacourt (520 posts) -

I love my 6950 and it loves me back.

#29 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Chrjz: The 7970 is a fucking great card. You'll find it worth it. Enjoy.

Source: PC gaming on a 6870 for 1.5 years.

#30 Edited by jsnyder82 (728 posts) -

I found a 2GB GeForce 660ti at Best Buy for around $229. It was incorrectly labeled (it was supposed to be around $329) but the cashier honored the price. Best $100 I never spent.

I had a Radeon in my old computer, it crapped out on me.

I've had a 9800GTX, 550ti, and a 660ti in my last couple computers, and they never give me any problems. I love Nvidia.

But everybody's experiences vary.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.