Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help me with my build please!

Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Queequeg

I'm building a pc for my cousin and I need help picking the parts. It will not be a gaming pc, but might be upgraded later for light gaming. This is what I have in my cart right now. I need suggestions on better options for the price (another part that is comparable in price and is better) or any suggestions to cut down on the cost. I also need someone to check if all the parts are compatible. It looks like they are. There's no case yet. I'm not sure how to pick one. Any recommendations?

Motherboard ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail

RAM G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL6D-4GBNQ - Retail

PSU CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

HDD Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

I know that psu might be overkill, but she might want to add a video card later on. Maybe one that is a little below a 8800 gt.

Feel free to say this build is garbage and come up with your own. lol I'm trying to do the best I can for below $400.

bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bulletbeast

woah dude. ur building a pc. cant u just buy a cheap one, what ur doings insane and u sound pretty stressed out. sorry u r waaay out of my league on this one, all i can say is good luck and please post a pic of it when (if) its finished
    Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Queequeg

She went to a few stores and the ones she wanted were $700+ including the monitor and the specs were about what I posted.  I've put together 2 gaming PCs so far with help from people on the other gaming board which shall not be named.  I need input on what parts to buy.  The actual putting together of the parts is quite easy.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By PureRok
    @bulletbeast said:
    " woah dude. ur building a pc. cant u just buy a cheap one, what ur doings insane and u sound pretty stressed out. sorry u r waaay out of my league on this one, all i can say is good luck and please post a pic of it when (if) its finished "
    Was that sarcasm? I sure hope it was sarcasm. I seems like sarcasm.
    Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Eurobum
    @Queequeg: 

I think AM2+ boards are a good deal currently, 780G + HDMI. Every motherboard manufacturer offers a compatibility list for all available Processors.
    I would go for a current gen (45nm CPU), like a Phenom II x 2 or Athlon II x 2. They are far more power efficient and silent.  They also fit on AM3 and AM2+ sockets.

Either this tripple core for speed
    Amd Phenom II X3 705e
     or as a cheaper alternative
    Athlon II X2 245

You need to check the maximum voltage that the motherboard supports in order to choose 2 sticks of RAM (under "specifications"), the one you chose is 2.0V so you have to make sure that the board can support it. I had to buy 1.8V RAM for the last rig I built, it only had 800 MHz. 

I'd recomend a  micro ATX
     Biostar board because they actually encorporated energy saving features, while ASUS just printed fancy names on their box. Also price is the best indication for quality when it comes to hardware... 
    PSU is alright I think.
    I'll let your cousin choose when it comes to the case, something with usb+audio jacks on top preferably.
    Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Queequeg

That build vs. this http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11485562&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|56671&N=4035053%204294967277&Mo=4&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78521&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1〈=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Which one is better? It will come out to be around the same price after adding a monitor. If it's only marginally better, then she should probably just get a store bought one.

It won't let me link to the page... It's this one.
    Compaq Presario
    AMD Athlon X2 7550 2.5GHz
    6-in-1 Card Reader
    LightScribe 16x DVD±RW Drive
    Windows® Vista Home Premium
    Item # 480291

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Ok then I will be the one to say go Intel for your CPU. I know for a fact that they perform better than AMD based CPUs price for price. 

But whatever you ultimately choose, have fun with your build and good luck! :D

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eurobum
    @sodiumCyclops said:

" Ok then I will be the one to say go Intel for your CPU. I know for a fact that they perform better than AMD based CPUs price for price."

Then they wouldn't be priced equally, now would they? There are Intel alternatives ... but Intel keeps releasing new sockets for their CPUs and their Integrated Graphics isn't as good as the solutions from Nvidia or AMD. I find it comforting to know that I could stick a powerful 140W Quad-core Phenom II CPU on my AMD motherboard if I decide to persue video editing or encoding/ or gaming even. Buying budget Core2Duo or Core2Quad CPUs now feels kind of wrong, when the next generation is already out there.

@Queequeg:
    I wouldn't buy assambled PCs, because they HAVE TO skimp on hardware where they can to make a profit (Cheap motherboard, crappy PSU, cheap RAM etc.) And you also pay for a bunch of Crapware, like MS Works 9.0 or an OEM Version of Windows.  If you want to buy an assembled PC then buy a notebook. 
    You don't really need CrossFire support on the Motherboard. If you ever decide to install 2 Graphics cards in Crossfire mode you'll have to get a bigger power supply unit anyway. 
    It seems the board can only support 2 x 1066 MHz RAM, but then again 2 x 2 GB Ram is all you'll ever need.
    Jiquk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Jiquk

Don't go with the antec three hundred for a tiny bit more the NZXT Beta is a far better case features/performance plus also Crossfire is not recommended for anyone who is not going to be gaming go with a cheaper single pci-e slot alternative and buy some extra ram. 

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oDawg
    @bulletbeast: 
    its pretty easy to build a machine if you are into tinkering, its a lot of fun! try it!

And as for the above system, go for a 500w psu if you can, that will let you run a GTX260 later on... 400W is cutting it close, but that is a good PSU so maybe its fine.

I am not a fan of the CPU, if you can dump more money into it, go for a phenom II of some sort ?
    Avatar image for govermentcheese
    govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By govermentcheese

Go with a dell there the best #1..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.