Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help on deciding the right upgrade

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

OK so I'm planning to make some christmas upgrades to my rig (see "mini Bio") here are my 2 current choices:

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By xruntime

Uh, Choice A. Does what your case look like really matter? it's all about the game baby

Big_Fact_Hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Big_Fact_Hunt

Since your 2nd pci-e slot on that mobo is 16x I'd get another card for sure, may as well take advantage of the boards' full potential. I'd be asking myself if I even needed RAID. All depends on which configuration you intend to go with, but only you can answer that one. 2x80GB drives, considering how large newer games are when fully installed, maybe not be enough in the long run (again, depends on your intended config)? I assume you'll be keeping the 250GB drive in there too but still, I'm not sold on that route.

Jay4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Jay4321

Video Card for sure, get the most out of that gaming machine now.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By darkgoth678
    Big_Fact_Hunt said:
    "Since your 2nd pci-e slot on that mobo is 16x I'd get another card for sure, may as well take advantage of the boards' full potential. I'd be asking myself if I even needed RAID. All depends on which configuration you intend to go with, but only you can answer that one. 2x80GB drives, considering how large newer games are when fully installed, maybe not be enough in the long run (again, depends on your intended config)? I assume you'll be keeping the 250GB drive in there too but still, I'm not sold on that route."
    Well I've seen the advanteges of RAID0, which my friend at a LAN party has a RAID0 setup on his machine and pretty much all he can do better is load maps faster than me since the drives write 1/2 the information to one and 1/2 to the other so all-in-all faster read and write times. Yes I will most likely keep my 250GB drive but Probably for another build because I have an external hard drive where i have Pictures and music so thats backed-up.  
    Yeah most people i've asked have told me "just get whatever gets you the most performance" and in this case would be 4850 because since I like to OC and Benching w/ 3DMarks so in my case is "which can take me faster?" so the sub-question would be how far can RAID0 get me compared to another 4850.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.