Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

HELP! Suddenly my GPU is running at 60% power CONSTANTLY!

SquareTheRoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now I wrote that topic header in interest of getting you (yes, YOU!) here. Not that worried really, consider I feel like I can simply do a system restore if needed and it would probably fix the problem. But have any of you had any experience of this kind of thing happening? It started today and the only thing I've downloaded today is Nvidia Inspector and changed the SLI settings for ME:SOM, which I gueeeeeess could be causing the problem...?

The frustrating part of this is honestly the part where it seem so random! And also, why isn't there another section in the task manager for the GPU where you can see what program is using the most processingpower!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

That's weird, dumb question but does it continue like that even after a reboot? if it does the only thing I can suggest is to look into everything that autoruns with this and get rid of the suspect stuff, just be careful when messing with the drivers.

unfortunately I can't really say if that SLI setting has anything to do with this because I never messed with that stuff, have you tried changing it back to what it was by default?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread

The only thing I can think of is temperatures. Vid card manufacturers have moved onto a dynamic clock speed and power consumption system that regulates speed based on card temps. My suggestion would be to make sure that your video cards and case are dust free and running in a room with AC. Also, how old is your card? Thermal paste has a shelf life of 5 years, or so, and that might be a source of your issue. Thermal paste shouldn't be an issue, but I am just spitballing ideas here.

Edit: Or maybe you are running into a power supply issue? Power supplies degrade over time and a lot of systems are not designed with power supplies that have the headroom to compensate for that.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

60% power as in 60 % load? at full clocks? according to what program?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.