Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help with buying a non-gaming PC

madmidknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hello!
    I'm trying to by my mom a PC in the 400-500 dollar range (before shipping, tax).

She basically only uses a computer for internet, netflix, and other non intensive purposes. I am looking for a laptop with a disc drive, she is also very okay with Windows 8. She has seen and used it a bit on my PC and I will be here to help her with any potential issues she might have with the learning curve.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AU2JPU
    This is sort of laptop I'm looking at, but I am trying to get the best for the price. THAT is something I am admittedly poor at, I usually end up buying the first 'good' deal I see without shopping around.

Anyways any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!
    :D

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By grilledcheez

That seems fine, there isn't going to be a whole lot of difference between brands or anything at that price range.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@madmidknight:

I'm not really familiar with laptops but a good trick I use when buying stuff from the Internet is to look for items with the most reviews with an overall positive score.

Another thing to think about: Would a full-on tablet work for your mom? She could likely do all of the tasks you listed on a tablet and you said she's already familiar with Windows 8.

Hope this helps in some way!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

madmidknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By madmidknight

Thanks for the replies!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ch3burashka

If it's not urgent, check out Amazon / Newegg deals. Something's bound to turn up that's decent. Also, always check reviews just in case.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

if it's not urgent, and if you're in the states, check big box retailers on 4th of july weekend or right after school starts back up in the fall. they'll be clearing house

f00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.