Help with computer case question about cooling

#1 Posted by crimson26 (49 posts) -

So im wondering does this case come with enough default fans for cooling. Im running a gtx 580 and i5-3570 but im using stock cooling for cpu also with w/e the case comes with.

1 front 200 m

1top 200m

1 back exhaust 140

Should i install extra side case fan or top? I dont plan on over clocking and if i ever want to ill buy a some more fans.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257

#2 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

Can't speak for that case in particular, but 3 fans in that configuration is pretty good.

#3 Posted by crimson26 (49 posts) -

So its fine?

#4 Posted by MB (12409 posts) -

@crimson26: Is your top fan set up for exhaust or intake? Ideally your top fan should be exhaust since hot air rises. Try to picture the flow of air through your PC and adjust your fan setup accordingly, you want them working together and not against one another.

#5 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

as long as you do the front as an intake and the rear and top has exhaust you should be good. Also, it's nice to see that those cases come with dust filters now. The mesh make them incredible dust magnets. Really wish I would have just spent thee extra money and bought a sleeker corsair at the time.

#6 Edited by Stonyman65 (2709 posts) -

That will work fine. I'm using the CM Storm Enforcer (different case, but the layout is the same as the one you posted) and I haven't has any temperature problems running a similar rig with only 1 200mm fan in the front and a 140mm in the back.

If anything, you want more exhaust fans than intake fans. Having a side intake fan over the GPU will help temperatures a little bit, but it will also add a lot of noise and tons of dust into your system.

It all comes down to airflow vs. noise. I'll take a quiet case with just okay airflow over a noisy case with great airflow any day. I personally would be more worried about proper cable management and making sure your case is as dust-free as possible than temperatures.

As a general rule, as long as your CPU and GPU don't get over 80c under stress, you're okay.

#7 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

If you're gonna overclock, get a 3rd party CPU cooler. I use a Noctua u12p (I think) and it's great. My CPU never goes above 45C. You want to make sure you have more air flowing in than you have flowing out to make sure it moves through faster.

#8 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

that case looks to be okay, if you plan on putting 2 graphics cards in there though i'd at least get another fan for the top...

#9 Posted by Devildoll (881 posts) -

HAF stands for high air flow.

So if that case didnt cut it, none would.

200 mm fans are great, i'll be fine.

#10 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Dude that's a coolermaster HAF it will be fine, in fact for the listed hardware it is beyond fine. Though personally I wouldn't build a pc for my own personal use in anything other than a lian li case even if you put a gun to my head.

#11 Edited by crimson26 (49 posts) -

Thanks guys. Not sure if top is exhaust dont have case yet i assume so.

#12 Posted by Wraithtek (59 posts) -

@crimson26: Yes, from the pictures, looks like the rear fan does point out, not in.

I'm not a big overclocker, and I've never bothered with anything more than front intake and rear exhaust, for case fans. Power supply has its own fan, and I always get a decent aftermarket heatsink+fan for the CPU.

#13 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

@crimson26: I literally have this exact set up with a Bitfenix case. Three fans, same GPU/CPU and I don't run into any overheating problems. No overclocking and I'm using the stock Intel fan. At one point I installed software to check my temperatures, I can't recall what they were but everything was completely normal.

There has been one instance where I heard the fans overworking, I played Witcher for 8 hours while running a few background programs and my game crashed after I heard the fans fire up. Other than that no issues. One thing I found handy was to position but my GPU and HDD so that they both received some of the fan cooling.

#14 Edited by crimson26 (49 posts) -

One more thing might as well ask her not make new thread. Is it possible to switch heat sinks at later point? If its alot work i might as well not use stock now and just buy good one right off bat im little short on money so i only want to if needed.

#15 Edited by Devildoll (881 posts) -

@crimson26 said:

Thanks guys. Not sure if top is exhaust dont have case yet i assume so.

yep, proper airflow design is to have air incoming from side and lower front, and exhausts in the top and upper back.
And that's what the case has.

#16 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

One more thing might as well ask her not make new thread. Is it possible to switch heat sinks at later point? If its alot work i might as well not use stock now and just buy good one right off bat im little short on money so i only want to if needed.

That case has a cutout in behind where the motherboard goes, which makes it possible to change heatsinks without taking out your motherboard. So it should be easy enough.

#17 Posted by crimson26 (49 posts) -

So im looking at getting these.

One thing im wondering where to put the 200m fan top or side? I could fill up top or add it to side which i guess might help gpu.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103178

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.