Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Here's the rig I'm starting to buy!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Here you go: I got bored and made some PNGs. Lets start with my sexy Stormtrooper lookin' mothertoucher of a case!

The Thermaltake Level 10 GT is a massive presence in any gamer's collection, with a unique and impressive styling, an incredible numbr of fans, and all the features today's gamer could ask for!
    The Thermaltake Level 10 GT is a massive presence in any gamer's collection, with a unique and impressive styling, an incredible numbr of fans, and all the features today's gamer could ask for!
    The intimidating EVGA Z77 FTW motherboard stocks a startling five PCI Express slots, USB 3.0, and SATA 3 to keep your PC loaded for bear!
    The intimidating EVGA Z77 FTW motherboard stocks a startling five PCI Express slots, USB 3.0, and SATA 3 to keep your PC loaded for bear!
    The PC gamer's sweetheart, the i7-3770K CP sports an impressive 8MB 3 Cache, an Operating Frequency of 3.5GHz, all while keeping under 25 nanometer die size!
    The PC gamer's sweetheart, the i7-3770K CP sports an impressive 8MB 3 Cache, an Operating Frequency of 3.5GHz, all while keeping under 25 nanometer die size!
    EVGA's Signature 2 2GB 680GTX is the latest and greatest in Kepler video cards, spinning up two powerful fans to keep an already thermally efficient board chilled while it spits out more polygons per second than any single chip card on the market today!
    EVGA's Signature 2 2GB 680GTX is the latest and greatest in Kepler video cards, spinning up two powerful fans to keep an already thermally efficient board chilled while it spits out more polygons per second than any single chip card on the market today!
    Renowned in the Enterprise sector, the WD VelociRaptor HDD reads and writes at speeds approaching 10,000 RPM, and is available in sizes up to a roomy Terabyte of storage!
    Renowned in the Enterprise sector, the WD VelociRaptor HDD reads and writes at speeds approaching 10,000 RPM, and is available in sizes up to a roomy Terabyte of storage!
    Razer's Mass Effect 2 Special Edition Black Widow keyboard is a minimalistic take on the branded gaming accessory is a work of art, and offers an impressive list of gaming features, from macro recording to ghosting prevention!
    Razer's Mass Effect 2 Special Edition Black Widow keyboard is a minimalistic take on the branded gaming accessory is a work of art, and offers an impressive list of gaming features, from macro recording to ghosting prevention!
    The Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Albino looks and feels like something out of the future, transforming to your every need with simple adjustments to match your grip perfectly!
    The Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Albino looks and feels like something out of the future, transforming to your every need with simple adjustments to match your grip perfectly!
    With it's unique frosted glass surface, the Steelseries I2 mousing surface gives an exceptionally smooth glide for the silkiest mousing experience!
    With it's unique frosted glass surface, the Steelseries I2 mousing surface gives an exceptionally smooth glide for the silkiest mousing experience!
    It's 5 in the morning and I haven't slept yet and it's a fucking PSU. I'm not going to be clever for you ungratefuls!
    It's 5 in the morning and I haven't slept yet and it's a fucking PSU. I'm not going to be clever for you ungratefuls!
    God that's a good lookin stick of DDR3...
    God that's a good lookin stick of DDR3...

There's more to it: a nice 24" (the expensive one) from Dell, 16GB of DDR3, and a nice soundcard mainly. Too tired/lazy to present them in a pleasing manner.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Starting to buy? Your better off saving money and buying everything at once.

I bought a R.A.T. recently though, and I highly recommend it. And that case...I have a strong want of it.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By NicksCorner

Are you building a PC or a Transformer?!

Jokes aside, really nice presentation and looks like top of the line gear. I with you the best of luck.

I build my PC last year and I can totally recall the joy of waiting for it and then building it.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@MordeaniisChaos: Welcome to the aryan master race, my good man. Regardless of the fact that you've got some pretty damn decent equipment in there, I've gotta' say, from an aesthetic view-point, what WERE you thinking? Normally I'd just post a funny picture on how to best handle computers.

For example.

No Caption Provided

But I feel obligated to call a bomb defusal squad in order to open that poor stormtrooper carcass.

Edit: You apparently already made a stormtrooper joke. Well, I believe I have reached the epitome of being lame.

On a more serious note, I feel that 750 watts on the PSU is pushing it a little bit. Between the GPU and CPU, and them flashing, flashing lights on that carcass, I'd have gone for an extra 150. I'd think twice about overclocking that baby if I were you. What size monitor will you be using, apropos nothing?

@Xymox: The horrendous death of a poor stormtrooper is nothing of beauty, it is a malady and a tragedy... You monster! Seriously though... "Seriously....?"

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By xymox

That is a beautiful looking case. Goes nice with the mouse, which, I honestly didn't know was a mouse at first glance.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By stonyman65

That's a pretty nice build, however I would suggest getting an SSD as soon as possible. They are worth every cent. I think some of the nicer Crucial M4 drives just went under $1 a gig, so that's a great deal.

Did you say you where getting 2 680s? What resolution is your monitor? and How many monitors are you using? 2 680s is kind of overkill.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Dude your keyboard is gonna clash like a MFer. I agree about SSDs being worth the money, if you can stretch to it.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Xymox said:

That is a beautiful looking case. Goes nice with the mouse, which, I honestly didn't know was a mouse at first glance.

I love the way the case looks. It's heavy, and industrial. I'll keep the lights off because they detract from the industrial look of it, and the stormtrooper feel, and I'm generally not a fan of lights but other than that I am in love with the way it looks. It's also a stellar case from everything I've heard. Massive amounts of space, all of the features I want like cable management and easy drive bays.

And yeah, that's why I'm getting the Albino. Trying to stick to a bit of a space theme, which was why I was super happy with the design of the EVGA 680, it looks industrial, like a component you'd see in an onboard computer or something. My mousepad is also going to be white in all likelihood, so that's what I'm trying to go for. A white keyboard would be silly, but I love the N7 branding because I'm a huge Mass Effect (1) fan, and really like that it's not just a silly over-played graphical treatment like most graphics on gaming accessories end up being.

@Do_The_Manta_Ray: I'm going to buy the 850, actually, considering my SLI intentions. I just wasn't paying attention to my choice of image. And it wasn't a joke, I'm stoked to have a freakin' Stormtrooper PC!

@nintendoeats: A lot of it like the input devices and stuff will be used with my current rig, and I'm thinking I might through the PSU and GPU in there too for a few weeks until I get the whole thing. Either way, it's not really going to make much difference.

I've got an old dell 24" 16:10 as my main right now with a dinky little 19" 1280x1024, so I'm throwing out the 19" and getting a brand new Dell IPS, 24", and will eventually replace the old dell with another new one, and then maybe get a third after I add another GPU.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Stonyman65 said:

That's a pretty nice build, however I would suggest getting an SSD as soon as possible. They are worth every cent. I think some of the nicer Crucial M4 drives just went under $1 a gig, so that's a great deal.

Did you say you where getting 2 680s? What resolution is your monitor? and How many monitors are you using? 2 680s is kind of overkill.

Not immediately, and the two of them will be pushing a multi-monitor setup. Specifically three 1920x1200's. I also do a fair amount of GP intensive stuff outside of video games, so it's worthwhile to me.

An SSD is definitely on my list, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to go nuts and spend a shit ton of money on a wicked fast, massive PCI one or not. If I do that though I'll buy a good fast 500GB-ish to tide me over and then pass it down to a buddy.

@Jimbo: Nah, I did some mock ups, it looks fine. Contrast is good and the last fucking thing I want is a nasty white keyboard. I've seen mac keyboards after use, it's disgusting. I'm not super picky about how things look, I'm just really pleased I was able to get a good theme across just about everything.

i8246i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By i8246i

At first glance I thought your case was some demonic Playskool microwave or refrigerator...

I agree with on the power situation....with a case that ridiculous and with you looking for the best in performance, upping to a 1000watt PSU would lend you some extra breathing room if you decide to add on extra hardware in the future.

I also put a vote in for an SSD as your main boot drive...if not also for your games. You can keep a large capacity HD for other purposes...but if you're putting the amount of money needed to get a ridiculous case, mouse, and 16GB of DDR3, you might as well cough up a bit more for the extra speed. You don't need to get a very large capacity, and if you have a fast connection to the internet, you can always just install/uninstall a few Steam games at a time.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bell_End

not liking the case.

looks like R2D2 fell into a crusher and then someone made a cheap plasticy looking model of the crushed R2D2 out of cheap looking plastic

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By xymox

@MordeaniisChaos: Post some pictures of the final result later :) it certainly looks futuristic. Personally, I really like the blue neon stuff, so I go wild with that. And as someone who used to have those factory gray keyboards, I have to say black is probably a smart choice even though a white keyboard might've made it look more like a set.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Never, ever, EVER get a white case. Dust is going to make that look dirty as motherfucker and motherfuckers is dirty.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

Well now my new pc I just for a week ago sucks.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp

How do you go all white and then get a black keyboard?

Just go black man.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16  Edited By mariussmit

Good looking rig man! Have fun.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@i8246i: 850 should be enough for the time being, if I run into issues later with SLI then I'll go there, but the 680 is remarkable on power consumption. Hell, the min PSU according to Newegg is a 550 watt, which is what I have right now. I think the 850 will do fine for a non-overclocked system.

@SeriouslyNow said:

Never, ever, EVER get a white case. Dust is going to make that look dirty as motherfucker and motherfuckers is dirty.

Dust isn't much of a problem for me, and usually isn't a problem beyond airflow areas on cases, it's easy enough to use a vacuum on the mesh/fans, and those are all black on this case so not an issue there. I don't mind cleaning.

@Doctorchimp said:

How do you go all white and then get a black keyboard?

Just go black man.

White keyboards are the worst duder. I'm starting to think about going for a black I2, because I expect that'll help with the clash. Won't be that big of a deal, and contrast, again, is interesting.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Brendan

The internals are great, but I hate the design of your case. Smooth, simple, industrial design is what I love. Something that looks great in any environment.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bemusedchunk

lol hdd.

but srsly. ssd's are super cheap now. i saw this morning that a 256gb ssd was going for 170. thats unheard of.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlexW00d

Man that fucking case, so damn ugly. And the RAT looks dreadful in white. I guess I just don't like white?

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By david3cm

Summer months seems to be "build a new PC" season here at GB. I am just one paycheck away from completing my new rig, which is going to be extremely lame compared to your PC but infinitely better than my crappy laptop! Can't wait to get my PC gaming on!

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@bemusedchunk said:

lol hdd.

but srsly. ssd's are super cheap now. i saw this morning that a 256gb ssd was going for 170. thats unheard of.

I'm not going to buy a $170 or 256GB SSD, lol. Either it's on sale or its a cheap SSD, and if I go for an SD it's going to be a mid-high end SSD with at least 500GB.

@Brendan said:

The internals are great, but I hate the design of your case. Smooth, simple, industrial design is what I love. Something that looks great in any environment.

Plenty of options for that. I enjoy that too, but I am in love with the look of this case. It looks like more than a case, and has a lot of inspiration taken from classic scifi designs, which I'm pretty thrilled about. To each his own.

@AlexW00d said:

Man that fucking case, so damn ugly. And the RAT looks dreadful in white. I guess I just don't like white?

It's a polarizing color, but then, the case and the mouse are very much the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.