8 gigs of ram

evga gtx780 superclocked graphic card

#2 Posted by Splodge (1953 posts) -

I just got a gaming pc and wondering if I'm future proof for at least a bit

My specs are

Intel i5 4690k 3.5ghz

8 gigs of ram

IT depends what you want out of it. IF you want to run everything on Super Ultra 5000 mode forever... well nothing is future proof. The specs you have listed though, will play pretty much anything on nice settings. In a couple of years, you may have to deal with medium settings. That is, unfortunately, the nature of the PC gaming hobby. There is always better tech, and things can always look better.

I would be pretty happy with your rig. It's really down to what you want to get out of it in the long run.

#3 Edited by pcorb (150 posts) -

"Future proofing" is a silly concept. No matter how much you spend trying to make sure your rig will be the best of the best for as long as possible, it's guaranteed that within a few years, a better build will be available for half the cost.

Your PC is very powerful and will not struggle to play games on high settings at 1080p/60fps for a good while. That's about the best anyone can hope for.

#4 Edited by CornBREDX (6002 posts) -

It looks fine. It should last you a few years (maybe 5 years or more which "future proofing" implies you want).

Ignore the people trying to define "future proofing" instead of answering the question.

#5 Posted by pcorb (150 posts) -

It helps to establish how exactly you interpret a question before you answer it, especially with as ambiguous a term as future proofing.

#6 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

What do you mean? You already can't run games maxed at 4k resolution with that setup. You can probably run almost everything maxed at 1080p for 2-3 years. Better cheaper videocards are coming out in a month or two. So kind of future proof? On a colour scale, I'd give your future proofing a blue.

#7 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1230 posts) -

@ronniecolemanmro said:

I just got a gaming pc and wondering if I'm future proof for at least a bit

My specs are

Intel i5 4690k 3.5ghz

8 gigs of ram

How many gigs of ram is on that video card? I think that'll be the biggest jump in the next few years.... I'm going to upgrade my GTX670 when the 800 series comes out purely because the 2GB VRam will bottleneck my system... but even with out that upgrade im confident my PC will last a long time before it'll NEED an upgrade and this machine is 2 years old and your graphics card is better than mine.

Well yeah you'll last the entire generation on at least medium probably, you may need to add more ram at one point but Ram is cheap so lets not even figure that into the debate. But for now your system should be good for high end settings for a lil while.

#8 Posted by Ezekiel (546 posts) -

I wouldn't buy a 4K monitor anyway. They're too expensive. 2 million pixels is plenty for games.

My computer has similar specs to yours. I'm a little worried about how well it will run new games in a year or two, but I'm not planning to upgrade again for a long time. My next card will probably be a 900 or 1000 GTX series or whatever they'll call them.

You paid for an unlocked processor. Overclock!

#9 Edited by snakeitachi (135 posts) -

@pcorb said:

"Future proofing" is a silly concept. No matter how much you spend trying to make sure your rig will be the best of the best for as long as possible, it's guaranteed that within a few years, a better build will be available for half the cost.

Your PC is very powerful and will not struggle to play games on high settings at 1080p/60fps for a good while. That's about the best anyone can hope for.

What this guy said.

#10 Posted by slowhanded (37 posts) -

4k is useless as of the moment for a couple reasons.

1) The monitors simply aren't there yet. The lone 60hz 4k monitor pretty much requires an SLI setup and is the result of a few hacky things to get it to work.

2) At current sizes, 4k resolutions make everything tiny. 4k will do better when 32+ monitors are possible.

2a) The absolute achilles heel for windows currently is HIDPI displays. You're at the whim of the developer of the individual program whether your program will be supported for your 4k display. This means for a lot of programs — Chrome being a notorious example, you're either stuck with text for ants or really ugly looking scaling.

#11 Posted by RonnieColeManMrO (32 posts) -
#12 Edited by Corevi (4901 posts) -
@ronniecolemanmro said:

my videocard has 3 gigs of ram

If you are only playing on a single monitor then that will last you a while.

You still might run into problems with the occasional game due to either bad optimization (Watch Dogs) or hitting ultra just not being viable with today's consumer computers (Crysis, Witcher 2) but 99% of games should work beautifully.

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (12159 posts) -

@ezekiel said:

2 million pixels is plenty for games.

With that kind of attitude we never would've moved past 480i.

#14 Posted by RonnieColeManMrO (32 posts) -

How well would I run games like witcher 2 and other demanding games

#15 Edited by Corevi (4901 posts) -
@ronniecolemanmro said:

How well would I run games like witcher 2 and other demanding games

I was more using it as an example of a game that at the time of release was impossible to run on Ultra with a semi reasonably priced build.

You could run it pretty easily at 1080/60 Ultra.

#16 Posted by Hone_McBone (184 posts) -

With those specs you're destroying what the new consoles are capable of doing & as the majority of games are most likely going to be available on those as well as on PC you should be able to run everything fine for this console generation, so for the next 5 years at least. In terms of where PC gaming goes next is another question.

#17 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

Nothing is future proof. Even if you buy best of the best now, it will be outdated in 2-3 years. At a certain point, getting faster hardware doesn't really make as much of a difference in performance as much as it does measuring your E-dick.

That being said, that looks like a pretty solid build. That should last you a few years until you need to get a new video card.

#18 Posted by Andorski (5366 posts) -

Flat out guess: within a year the most demanding games will have you dropping some settings from Ultra to High (of Very High; whatever the next notch down is). Remember that some graphical options in PC games add very little to the visuals while also being a huge power drain. I have a 780 also and I still never turn on PhysX because I usually have to sacrifice frame rate or other graphical settings. Same thing goes with TXAA anti-aliasing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.