Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

How I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 7

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

My desktop is taken care of, it has Vista Ultimate 64 and im getting the Windows 7 Ultimate Signature edition. 

My nettop however, takes a few more steps. I have an Acer Aspire One with XP Home on it at the momonet. I pre-ordered an upgrade copy of Windows 7 Home, here is my plan: 

• I borrow from my friend an external DVD drive along with a copy of Vista Home (no key, not cracked). 
    • back up my stuff
    • I install Vista Home clean without Activating it (since I kinda can't)
    • Right after Installation, I install Service Pack 1 (since I read it is required to upgrade)
    • Right after that installs, pop in Windows 7 Upgrade and begin the upgrade process.
    • After the upgrade process, Activate Windows 7 Home

At first I myself was kind of doubting it but then I read the you can install Service Pack 1 and it will ask you to activate it AFTER it installs. So I can install ,shut off and begin Windows 7 install.  

Anyone see any holes with my scheme?
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

I've been running the Windows 7 7600 build RTM for a few months now, and I must say, the Ultimate edition is fucking beastly.

And to answer your question, that should be fine.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By darkgoth678

Thanks for your assessment 

Have you been running that build on your desktop machine or on a nettop? 

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By fuzzyponken

Why not just install Windows 7 straight over XP? I don't see the need for involving Vista. 

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Babble
    @fuzzyponken said:
    " Why not just install Windows 7 straight over XP? I don't see the need for involving Vista.  "
    If you go from XP to Windows 7 you have to do a clean install, which means you lose all your files or have to back them all up. Going from XP to Vista to 7 avoids that.
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Yea if you're just backing all your stuff up anyway why not just do a clean install of 7?  On Amazon.co.uk the full version is actually cheaper than the upgrade version.  I'm sure if you shop around you'll find 7 for fairly cheap.  You skip the problems of the upgrade install too then

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jiggah
    @darkgoth678: 

1.  Don't bother with a DVD drive, just use a USB key.  Simply mount the Win 7 DVD and copy everything over to the USB key...that's it!!!!! Plug into the AAO and boot select the USB HDD.

2.  There's no need to install Vista then do an upgrade.  From what I'm hearing, Win 7 Upgrade can be "clean installed" the same way that Vista was able to do.  Simply install Win 7 without key then reinstall Win 7 with key.
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkgoth678
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    " Yea if you're just backing all your stuff up anyway why not just do a clean install of 7?  On Amazon.co.uk the full version is actually cheaper than the upgrade version.  I'm sure if you shop around you'll find 7 for fairly cheap.  You skip the problems of the upgrade install too then "
    Well I already have a Windows 7 Home premium pre-order in newegg since I got it when they were $50. 

@Jiggah
    said:
    " @darkgoth678:   1.  Don't bother with a DVD drive, just use a USB key.  Simply mount the Win 7 DVD and copy everything over to the USB key...that's it!!!!! Plug into the AAO and boot select the USB HDD. 2.  There's no need to install Vista then do an upgrade.  From what I'm hearing, Win 7 Upgrade can be "clean installed" the same way that Vista was able to do.  Simply install Win 7 without key then reinstall Win 7 with key. "
    Yeah I've looked at this method, i dont know, I just feel using the DVD drive is kind of easier, I dont have to go through the process of making the USB device bootable . As for your second point, can you provide more info on that? I've always heard that you need to do a clean install of  Windows 7 if you have XP, you can only upgrade if you have the corresponding version of Vista. 
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jiggah

For 7, you just need to copy the files over.  You don't need to set anything to make it bootable.

For the second part, you're just making it more complicated by installing Vista (and sounds like updating) before 7.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

That trick should also work with Win 7.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darkgoth678
    @Jiggah said:
    " For 7, you just need to copy the files over.  You don't need to set anything to make it bootable.  For the second part, you're just making it more complicated by installing Vista (and sounds like updating) before 7.   http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp  That trick should also work with Win 7. "

oh really? just move the files over? that's awesome! that makes 7 and even better OS =] 

Btw, anyone know how many Activations you're allowed with 7? I'm asking this because like, with Vista, I have Ultimate 64 and I was able to put it on about 3 systems activated, no problem. Think 7 will be the same?
    unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By unclejohnny79

some plan you got there. i need to figure out a way to get 7 when i make my new rig

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By goodwood

For multiple activations do you mean by multiple computers at the same time or re-installs? You would need a family pack for multiple computers, if you do re-installs it may require a call to microsoft. A clean install is always better to do anyhow since you would be starting out with a clean registry. Since you are backing up your files already just go from XP to 7 with a clean install its what I am doing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.