Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

How much is my CPU holding back my PC's performance?

snarekick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a quad core intel Q9550 @2.83GHz

4GB RAM

and I'm running the GTX 660 gpu. My monitors max resolution is only 1360x768 (it's an old 32" LCD TV from like 2005)

Just how laughable is my CPU these days?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Depends on the games you want to play. Games are starting to require stronger CPUs if you want all the fancy visual options (BF4 for example) but most games should run fine.

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's a 2008 CPU. It's pretty dated, but you're running at 768 display which is equally dated so there is no real bottleneck there. In order to see a noticeable graphical jump, you'll need a new CPU/Mobo and a new display at the very least.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

I would upgrade that along with your monitor

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.