Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

How to determine if your PC is fast enough for a game?

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey guys,

My gaming laptop is a few years old now, so many games don't run on it very well. I tend to buy lots of games on steam at discount, so if something doesn't run well it's not a huge waste of money, those games sit there in my account and I'll eventually get to play them when I replace this PC.

Still, that's a shitty way of buying games, especially because more and more games will not run on this box. How do you guys figure out if your machine meets the minimum required specs listed on a steam store page?

In particular the graphics card stuff is a mystery to me, if a game says the minimum required is for example "NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600GT, ATI Radeon™ HD 5870", how do I know if my laptop GPU is better or worse than those?

Schmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Schmile

Do you know what GPU your laptop has? Just search it on google and you can probably find some benchmarks..

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SingingMenstrual

Basically, you look up the equivalent laptop GPU of the 9600GT, and see if your laptop's GPU is older or newer than it.

Of course, there's no such thing as perfect equivalent, it's a matter of "strength zone" for each desktop GPU and it's laptop "equivalent", so what you do is go on youtube and watch how well a few laptop GPUs run certain games, and those videos should give you an idea of the strength of those laptop GPUs, and then you can compare them to desktop GPUs of the game power, and figure out what is equivalent to what.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VierasTalo

This isn't a 100% successful but Can You Run It is alright for automatically checking wether your system holds up with a specific game: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By nightriff

I use http://en.checkreq.com/ and it serves my purpose for the most part, but I would love a better thing to check and see if my computer can run games, something more accurate.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By agentboolen

I found http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri to work good but to me it seems Intels integrated gpus throw it for a loop, usually giving bad results even when your machine can run it good.

Not sure how bad your laptop is doing but its always worth trying in 720p resolutions. This is what the xbox 360 was at so games like Bioshock infinite and Tomb Raider won't be horrible to play in that resolution.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This isn't a 100% successful but Can You Run It is alright for automatically checking wether your system holds up with a specific game: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Thanks, that's really helpful. That site seems rather optimistic about my computer though :). According to that site I should be able to run GTA 4, The Witcher and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and all those games run like shit on this machine. It also thinks I can run Sleeping Dogs, Dark Souls and Dishonored, which is correct -- those all run fine (or good enough for me).

(This machine has a GeForce GT 540M, Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz)

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Find where your card is on this hierarchy chart. If it is just above the minimum you can pay it, but you'll have to make big compromises in the video settings. If it is around our above the recommended then you should easily run the game with the graphics dialed up.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.