I need help regarding AHCI

#1 Posted by snipe (12 posts) -

So I have an SSD and have been told I need AHCI enabled so how do I enable it/See if it is enabled (I was told I can check it in device manager under IDE/ATAPI controllers, When I did check it says " c216 chipset family sata ahci controller") does that mean it is enabled?

#2 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -
#3 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

You need to look at your hardware documentation. Since this is often a bios/open firmware control thing, where that actually setting is highly dependent on your specific hardware.

#4 Posted by DFL017 (126 posts) -
#5 Posted by Devildoll (879 posts) -

its simply a setting in bios ( read your motherboard manual if you don't know what i am talking about )

you can usually set it to IDE, RAID or AHCI.

If you install windows with it set to IDE, you will most likely get BSOD after you set it to AHCI.

there is a workaround for this, which just involves flipping a setting in the windows registry, but i cant be arsed to google that right now.

Anyway, if you are installing windows from scratch, simply set your harddrive controller to ACHI before you start installing windows, and you are all set.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.