I really REALLY need an upgrade, not a clue on what to do help?

#1 Posted by flameboi01 (18 posts) -

Hey folks, I dont really post on here too often, but i definitely think i need some help from anyone at this point. I'm currently attending the art instititute of san diego and im about a few quarters in, we're starting to do more computer oriented stuff which is awesome cause im far better with computers than with traditional pencil and paper. Anyways, I realize that I gonna need to upgrade my computer so I can run my photoshops and mayas of the industry and i figured that i might as well get into the pc gaming scene as well, before you guys point me toward the already established thread about buying stuff, I figure that my old relic E-machine is pretty much the telegraph equivelent to the everyday pc (apparently DDR isn't in use, 512mb of ram, and no graphics card is a problem for playing games on my computer, minesweeper never seemed to mind...) anyways, is there anything anyone could suggest I get? Also just throwing this out there, I've almost never posted on a forum so please dont eat me alive 

#2 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@flameboi01 said:

" Hey folks, I dont really post on here too often, but i definitely think i need some help from anyone at this point. I'm currently attending the art instititute of san diego and im about a few quarters in, we're starting to do more computer oriented stuff which is awesome cause im far better with computers than with traditional pencil and paper. Anyways, I realize that I gonna need to upgrade my computer so I can run my photoshops and mayas of the industry and i figured that i might as well get into the pc gaming scene as well, before you guys point me toward the already established thread about buying stuff, I figure that my old relic E-machine is pretty much the telegraph equivelent to the everyday pc (apparently DDR isn't in use, 512mb of ram, and no graphics card is a problem for playing games on my computer, minesweeper never seemed to mind...) anyways, is there anything anyone could suggest I get? Also just throwing this out there, I've almost never posted on a forum so please dont eat me alive  "

I'd set a budget and then go to tom's hardware to look at benchmarks.
#3 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

Well if your running Photoshop and Maya your going to need some reasonable CPU horse power and a largeish memory pool.  You might want to look into the Intel i7 930 and a 6 gig kit mixed with a 64-bit flavor of Win7.  The Nvidia GTX460 is all the rage for people on a budget at the moment.

#4 Posted by pwnmachine (390 posts) -

Give me a budget and I will spec out a perfect rig for you!

#5 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

@Korwin said:

"Well if your running Photoshop and Maya your going to need some reasonable CPU horse power and a largeish memory pool.  You might want to look into the Intel i7 930 and a 6 gig kit mixed with a 64-bit flavor of Win7.  The Nvidia GTX460 is all the rage for people on a budget at the moment. "


This is good advice, also some ppl I know likes to build a budget pc using AMD quad core cpus. There is one with six cores now for like $200-$250, might help with maya and photoshop, however it benches similar to other amd quad cores for gaming, it's good enough. Or an amd motherboard, with a hd5850 and your set for this gen for gaming. The videocard is over $300, however it's powerful enough for everything. I don't know, i'm just throwing a few stuff out there to give you a better idea and a variety of options because if it was a pure gaming machine, I would go with the above advice and a better videocard than the GTX460.

#6 Posted by pwnmachine (390 posts) -

Post your budget and current specs, we can't help you otherwise.

#7 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Nom Nom Nom Nom 
 
*Eating you alive*

#8 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

If your going to run Maya for a living, you probably need to get a workstation GPU rather than a consumer one, examples would be Nvidia's Quadros or ATI Firepros

#9 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

buy a ps3 or a 360 done your all set for a long long time.

#10 Posted by pwnmachine (390 posts) -

Where is OP? We are trying to help but it seems he has disappeared.

#11 Posted by flameboi01 (18 posts) -

sorry folks, i dont know how forums work apparently lol, anyways im trying to keep it on the cheaper side so im thinking around 600$ or so, i have a 22'in screen though and i dont plan on getting a new keyboard or mouse 

#12 Edited by pwnmachine (390 posts) -

Okay so I put together a rig for you, it is 100 bucks over budget but that is well spent you may want to consider it. You could reduce the price by changing the gpu and a cheaper motherboard but I do not recommend that. 

 
 http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/692/10166269.png
 
You could also swap out the case for something else.

#13 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" buy a ps3 or a 360 done your all set for a long long time. "
Reading, try it next time.
#14 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" buy a ps3 or a 360 done your all set for a long long time. "

#15 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@Berezov: @ColMirage: 
The PC is like the newspaper outdated by the next day and only good for lining birdcages with.
#16 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -
@trophyhunter: 
 
BEEEEP.
 
Doing it wrong, try again.
#17 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@ColMirage said:
" @trophyhunter:   BEEEEP.  Doing it wrong, try again. "
That's  your comeback? really? you might as well have said "You are the weakest link, goodbye."
This is why PC fanboys are no good.
#18 Posted by Keenblaze (469 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @ColMirage said:
" @trophyhunter:   BEEEEP.  Doing it wrong, try again. "
That's  your comeback? really? you might as well have said "You are the weakest link, goodbye." This is why PC fanboys are no good. "
This is... entertaining. 
 
 
*begins slow clap*
#19 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@pwnmachine said:
" Okay so I put together a rig for you, it is 100 bucks over budget but that is well spent you may want to consider it. You could reduce the price by changing the gpu to a 5770 and a cheaper motherboard but I do not recommend that.    http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/322/rig700.jpg  You could also swap out the case for something else. "
I believe you may have forgotten to add some RAM to that build.
#20 Posted by AndrewB (7444 posts) -

You're going to also want to keep in mind that your current 22 inch monitor might not be the most color-accurate, where color accuracy is a numero uno important thing in the world of art. Unfortunately, a good decently color-accurate panel is going to be costly (in the $300-$1000ish range depending on just how good and the size you're looking for). I did happen to get this Dell 2209WA (a 22 inch IPS monitor) for about $200 awhile back, but it's definitely not on sale anymore and it isn't exactly perfect, being only 22".
 
Monitor panel types is definitely something you're going to want to do some research on if you're looking into using a computer for your profession.

#21 Posted by pwnmachine (390 posts) -
@SlasherMan: lol damn I think I cut it off when cropping thx. Fixed.
#22 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -
@trophyhunter: You still haven't read the OP's post. Else you wouldn't have told him to get a 360 or a PS3.
#23 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@ColMirage said:
" @trophyhunter: You still haven't read the OP's post. Else you wouldn't have told him to get a 360 or a PS3. "
he should get one regardless
#24 Posted by Crono (2637 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" buy a ps3 or a 360 done your all set for a long long time. "
lol
#25 Posted by Outrager (141 posts) -

You should try asking your school if they have any discounts with companies like Dell. Sometimes their deals are actually cheaper than building your own and it will come with support. 
You could also try asking your professors what your minimum specs should be or what they would recommend for you to get.

#26 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -

I'm with trophyhunter. Just buy a PS3 or 360, pop in your Maya DVD, and render away! Use your Live Vision camera or PS3 Eye to capture textures and such. I would actually recommend PS3 since it has keyboard/mouse support. The pointer moves really slowly with the analog sticks.

#27 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

How is it possible that the OP has never used forums yet he's in a computer industry? And how did you find out about GB cause he is starting to sound like a troll lol.

#28 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

Don't forget that you can save on the cost of optical drives by using the drive in your eMachines PC, unless you're planning to sell it on or use it for other purposes while your main rig is rendering. You might also be able to reuse your hard drive(s) too.

#29 Posted by Riddell (342 posts) -

Case: Antec Three Hundred 
CPU: Intel Core i5 650 (or above) 
Cooler: Titan Fenrir (optional) 
Motherboard: Asus P55 model with USB 3 & SATA 3 support 
Memory: 6GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram 
Graphics Card:  evga GTX 460 SC 1GB 
PSU: 600w Unit (Don't skimp on this component) 
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 
DVD Drive: w/e 
Windows 7 
 
Solid PC right there.

#30 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

This is getting out of hand..

#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11644 posts) -
Since this thread has apparently just been randomly bumped, I may as well point out that I think this is possibly the worst post I've seen on this site: 
 
@trophyhunter said:
" buy a ps3 or a 360 done your all set for a long long time. "
#32 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -
@BeachThunder: I didn't want to say anything but.. yeah, it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.