Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I Suck at Computers......

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By mikemcn

So today my Internet dropped out while downloading Mass Effect 2 from Steam, after about an hour of trying to fix it It still did not work. All my wireless devices worked fine (Ipod Touch, Netbook.) but my main desktop would not connect to the network. I continued to try and find solutions when a startling thought occured to me... 

What if i restarted the thing, madness, surely I would  be committed if I were to attempt such a thing. But I did anyways, and damn it, it worked. 

So basically now im scared of my computer skills, I know just enough to fuck stuff up, but not enough to do anything useful. I once got as far as typing stuff into the weird console window with the black and white text, in order to set up a static IP address for something and after awhile I gave up out of fear I'd do something I wouldn't be able to come back from. I also hear people who play PC games reformat alot, i barely know what that means but damn it sounds terrifying. That and reinstalling windows which sounds like something only a person who truly hates themselves would want to do. That said, I know more about computers than pretty much everyone around me, if only i felt like it......

Anyways, I just wanted to vent my computer angst, hopefully im not the only one who can't do krap with computers.    
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mikemcn

So today my Internet dropped out while downloading Mass Effect 2 from Steam, after about an hour of trying to fix it It still did not work. All my wireless devices worked fine (Ipod Touch, Netbook.) but my main desktop would not connect to the network. I continued to try and find solutions when a startling thought occured to me... 

What if i restarted the thing, madness, surely I would  be committed if I were to attempt such a thing. But I did anyways, and damn it, it worked. 

So basically now im scared of my computer skills, I know just enough to fuck stuff up, but not enough to do anything useful. I once got as far as typing stuff into the weird console window with the black and white text, in order to set up a static IP address for something and after awhile I gave up out of fear I'd do something I wouldn't be able to come back from. I also hear people who play PC games reformat alot, i barely know what that means but damn it sounds terrifying. That and reinstalling windows which sounds like something only a person who truly hates themselves would want to do. That said, I know more about computers than pretty much everyone around me, if only i felt like it......

Anyways, I just wanted to vent my computer angst, hopefully im not the only one who can't do krap with computers.    
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Have you been near a Mac lately? Those are fairly toxic to the brain's knowledge about computers. Might want to get it checked to be sure. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Restarting a PC works wonders. Most people just don't bother but it does work. In fact, I had to reboot my laptop since the interenet wasn't working either and now it works as you can see. I think you're worrying too much. It's really not that bad since only the bad things get mentioned a lot. With computers it's inevitable that you would come across a problem that you can't or don't know how to fix but that's the price you pay for being a PC user. You'll learn in due time though. Otherwise feel free to ask on the forums.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikemcn
    @Geno said:

"Have you been near a Mac lately? Those are fairly toxic to the brain's knowledge about computers. Might want to get it checked to be sure.  "

I don't think i've been exposed, my Ipod Touch is the only Apple product in my life. But yea, im sure they have tests for that, i could at least check. 
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mrhankey
    @Mikemcn said:
    " So today my Internet dropped out while downloading Mass Effect 2 from Steam, after about an hour of trying to fix it It still did not work. All my wireless devices worked fine (Ipod Touch, Netbook.) but my main desktop would not connect to the network. I continued to try and find solutions when a startling thought occured to me...  What if i restarted the thing, madness, surely I would  be committed if I were to attempt such a thing. But I did anyways, and damn it, it worked.  So basically now im scared of my computer skills, I know just enough to fuck stuff up, but not enough to do anything useful. I once got as far as typing stuff into the weird console window with the black and white text, in order to set up a static IP address for something and after awhile I gave up out of fear I'd do something I wouldn't be able to come back from. I also hear people who play PC games reformat alot, i barely know what that means but damn it sounds terrifying. That and reinstalling windows which sounds like something only a person who truly hates themselves would want to do. That said, I know more about computers than pretty much everyone around me, if only i felt like it...... Anyways, I just wanted to vent my computer angst, hopefully im not the only one who can't do krap with computers.     "
    The reformat thing isn't necessary. Just do one good install, defrag often and you should be fine.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

I had the most amazing network problem a few months ago. I could get on the internet and go to any site except my own. So, I thought my site was down and called my host about it and argued with them for a while before calling my ISP to argue with them some too. I restarted the computer a few times, reinstalled network drivers, reset the router to factory defaults, etc.

I then decided to actually turn the PC off instead of just restart it. Magic. It resolved the issue.

Turns out the bigger issue was my motherboard dying. It eventually croaked and I replaced it. But yeah, so annoying. Rebooting wouldn't fix it, it had to be fully shut down.
    lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By lhaymehr

Don't be afraid to fuck stuff up. That's the right way to learn.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8  Edited By mrhankey
    @lhaymehr said:
    " Don't be afraid to fuck stuff up. That's the right way to learn. "
    What he said. Almost everything i know about computers is because i fucked them up in the first place.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

Yeah, a rebooting a computer tends to fix simple problems. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikemcn
    @mrhankey said:
    " @lhaymehr said:
    " Don't be afraid to fuck stuff up. That's the right way to learn. "
    What he said. Almost everything i know about computers is because i fucked them up in the first place. "

Learn by doing/ Sounds like a plan haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.