Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I think I'm going to get back into PC gaming.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DARKIDO07

Well after finally finding the solution to a problem with my router that would cause me to have a ping of OVER 9000! while playing games online, I think I'm going to upgrade my Computer's CPU, RAM, and GPU. No I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (yeah I know I really wanted to build a computer but we need a new one ASAP a few back) It is currently running Core-2 Duo processor at 2.4GHz, my video card is a Nvidia Geforce 7900GS and I have 2GB of Ram.

Now I will have to figure out what kind of socket my motherboard has for the CPU and the pin type for my RAM but I'm going to upgrade to 3 GB of RAM, and my video card will probally be a ATI 4850.

My other option is to just build a computer but I don't have the cash or room for that so yeah I think I'm just going to upgrade starting with the video card and going from their.

Would I be able to run Crysis decently with a ATI 4850, 3 gigs of RAM and at least a 2.8-3.0 GHz CPU?

Wait I think I might go with this video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131095 instead just to cut down on the costs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

DARKIDO07 said:
    "Well after finally finding the solution to a problem with my router that would cause me to have a ping of OVER 9000! while playing games online, I think I'm going to upgrade my Computer's CPU, RAM, and GPU. No I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (yeah I know I really wanted to build a computer but we need a new one ASAP a few back) It is currently running Core-2 Duo processor at 2.4GHz, my video card is a Nvidia Geforce 7900GS and I have 2GB of Ram.

Now I will have to figure out what kind of socket my motherboard has for the CPU and the pin type for my RAM but I'm going to upgrade to 3 GB of RAM, and my video card will probally be a ATI 4850.

My other option is to just build a computer but I don't have the cash or room for that so yeah I think I'm just going to upgrade starting with the video card and going from their.

Would I be able to run Crysis decently with a ATI 4850, 3 gigs of RAM and at least a 2.8-3.0 GHz CPU?

Wait I think I might go with this video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131095 instead just to cut down on the costs."
    Well if your going to get the 3870, you should think about getting a 8800gt instead, it`s around the same price (20$ more maybe?) and runs better, but are around the same, I would just go with the 8800gt and you should beable to run crysis pretty well.
    jkmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jkmetal
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Well after finally finding the solution to a problem with my router that would cause me to have a ping of OVER 9000! while playing games online, I think I'm going to upgrade my Computer's CPU, RAM, and GPU. No I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (yeah I know I really wanted to build a computer but we need a new one ASAP a few back) It is currently running Core-2 Duo processor at 2.4GHz, my video card is a Nvidia Geforce 7900GS and I have 2GB of Ram.

Wait I think I might go with this video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131095 instead just to cut down on the costs."
    With a core duo 2 and a 7900 with 2 gigs of ram, believe it or not, you can run every p.c game in existence. Not at max settings, but hell, not even my 8800GTS 640 can do that.

On an ati 4850 (go for this over the 8800GT, its faster)  you will run crysis decently. Not at all max settings at all resolutions but  better than me. (you lucky s.o.b) I wouldn't go for a faster processor unless you have the money nor more ram. That however depends on....

Questions:

1 What resolution are you running. The more pixels your graphics card has to process, the lower the frame rate/more powerful graphics card you need.
    2 What OS are you running
    3 What other games do you want to upgrade for? (trust me, crysis was great, but its just one game. just one.)
    4 Will you buy crysis warhead? (I'm curious..)

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Patchinko

You could run Crysis, but not at full quality. Then again, not much can. And I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor because Crysis is pretty underwhelming. That said, there's a lot of good PC games already out and on the way, so welcome back.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Psynapse

I'd go the 4870, you can pick them up for around $330 Australian and is definitely worth the investment.
    Go 4gb of Ram, it will end up being cheaper getting 2x2gb sticks than it will 3x1gb sticks.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

How'd you solve that problem with your router? I have the same one.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "How'd you solve that problem with your router? I have the same one."
    Go into your router settings go to browse the tabs and when in them look from DMZ, enable it and enter your IP adress. This helped me too scroll down a bit... http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=40791

Anyway I would mostly want to run Valve games, and Crysis which looks awesome, I normal run games at 1280x1024 or lower., Maybe I should just upgrade the graphics card then? That might be the best solution I guess, and the easiest.  Oh yeah I am running Windows XP by the way, not ready to upgrade to Vista.
    ReMisK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ReMisK

I would just start upgrading the video card and add 1 GB of ram. Go for the 4850 it's the best bang for the buck. Your CPU is fine right now so don't worry about it.

Intel is coming out with there new processors at the end of the year, beginning of next year. Save some money every month for a motherboard and CPU and by the end of the year you should have enough to build a PC that would be worth the upgrade.

Can you say Quad Core CPU's with Hyper threading? :)

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maru
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "How'd you solve that problem with your router? I have the same one."
    Go into your router settings go to browse the tabs and when in them look from DMZ, enable it and enter your IP adress. This helped me too scroll down a bit... http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=40791

Anyway I would mostly want to run Valve games, and Crysis which looks awesome, I normal run games at 1280x1024 or lower., Maybe I should just upgrade the graphics card then? That might be the best solution I guess, and the easiest.  Oh yeah I am running Windows XP by the way, not ready to upgrade to Vista.
    "

Make sure your power supply can handle the new graphic card.  If not, I would recommand PC Power & Cooling brand.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

You may have an issue getting a PSU comaptible with your Dell that can power all of that new hardware.  You may just be better off building a new box.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By xruntime

The processor upgrade is not really necessary. The RAM upgrade is not really necessary either.

If you can afford a GTX 280, that would be a good investment. Of course, as mentioned, your PSU may be a problem.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DARKIDO07
    MB said:
    "You may have an issue getting a PSU comaptible with your Dell that can power all of that new hardware.  You may just be better off building a new box."
    Yeah but that would take awhile, I don;'t have a job becuase I'm not old enough yet so I'm living off of $10 a week allowance.  :P Once I have a job though I will probably build my own rig, for now I guess just wait with my current rig or just upgrade the video card. either way I guess it wouldn't matter much for the Valve games which I plan on getting first its just Crysis and some other games that my require higher system specs, thanks for all the input though guys.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DARKIDO07

Ok I opened up my computer....

PSU: 375 Watts-Yeah that thing needs to be replaced if I do any upgrading.
    CPU is actually a Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz- Could someone explain how exactly Dual Core CPUs work? Like if game needs a 3.6 GHz and I have a dual core 2.13gh would that mean I technically have a 4.26 ghz processor? (Yeah I know stupid question but back when I was into PC gaming Dual Cores had just begun to be supported by games. )

Then I pulled out one of my sticks of RAM, I have two both 1 GB and on it it said 2Rx8 PC2 5300U is the 5300 related to the type of  RAM I need, its power is at 667 MHz and its DDR2 SDRAM.

I'm not sure what kind of PCI-Express x 16 slot my motherboard has, the computer is almost two years old, so I'm not sure if it has PCI-Express x 16 2.0 slot or just regular.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By albaker

if you can, get a 9800GX2 for like $280 on newegg i think that card will DEFINITELY run Crysis BUT only if you plan on upgrading your power supply, if you cant spend that much get either the 4850 or the 9800GTX+, they are good graphics cards for the price.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By albaker

Ok with that PSU, you really need to get a new one somewhere around 600W maybe a little more if you plan to upgrade or go SLI/Crossfire. And to answer your question about the Dual Core, no, you don't get 2 times the power, if it says that it runs at 2.13 GHz then it runs at that speed and on two cores. With a decent aftermarket CPU cooler you can OC your CPU up to 3.0 GHz

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah 300-400 won`t do if your planning on getting a 9800gx2 or anything around the same, a 600-750 watt should be perfect.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By VACkillers

newegg.com is your best friend :)

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DARKIDO07
    albaker said:
    "Ok with that PSU, you really need to get a new one somewhere around 600W maybe a little more if you plan to upgrade or go SLI/Crossfire. And to answer your question about the Dual Core, no, you don't get 2 times the power, if it says that it runs at 2.13 GHz then it runs at that speed and on two cores. With a decent aftermarket CPU cooler you can OC your CPU up to 3.0 GHz"
    Can't overclock my CPU, damn Dells.
    Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

HERE is a like to a good PSU and HERE is a low priced video card.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DARKIDO07

Ok here is what I'm going to get

RAM 1GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609284 (Bringing my total to 3 GB)
    PSU (680 Watts) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709015

I will buy this stuff with in a week or so and then around Christmas time I will get this

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133232

But that will probably change as their might be something better for the same price in 4 months.

The only other thing I could think of upgrade is my CPU which seems fine as even though Half-Life 2 requires 3.0GHz CPU speed mine can max that game out like crazy. And according to system requirements lab, my CPU speed is rated at 5.75 GHz O_O don't know if thats right or not but what ever, I'm sure my CPU can overclock its self to .7 GHz for Crysis.

Thanks for the help guys!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.