Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

If you were to build a PC and...

Nightroad91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nightroad91

If you were to build a PC and had unlimited budget, and the only restriction you had is that the GPU must be from ATI and the processor from AMD, what components would you choose for:

• PC Case
    • Processor
    • Processor Cooling Fan
    • Motherboard
    • Power Supply
    • Video Card
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I wouldn't build anything because i'm limited to amd/ati products. Using using 2X HD5870 wouldn't scale well and it's a waste of money, same with a HD5970. The X6 processor isn't even fast at all, i'll just get one of those cheap am3 mobos that has crossfireX functionality, which I have a million choices.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

I prefer Intel and nVidia.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By korwin

2 x Asus Ares cards (hey you said money was infinite)
    Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
    Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 8GB (4x2GB) Dominator GT
    Corsair AX1200 Gold Power Supply
    Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
    Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU Cooler

That being said I'd buy Intel.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Rockdalf
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I wouldn't build anything because i'm limited to amd/ati products. Using using 2X HD5870 wouldn't scale well and it's a waste of money, same with a HD5970. The X6 processor isn't even fast at all, i'll just get one of those cheap am3 mobos that has crossfireX functionality, which I have a million choices.

"
    Just out of curiosity, what are you currently using?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Rockdalf: Amd dual core, gtx460 1gb. I'm going to buy an i7 this month. Look I supported amd for my last two builds, the only reason why anyone will use an amd product is because they want to save money. If money isn't a concern, no one will buy amd cpus over intel. I'm only saying. Also nvidia gives you more framerates for a single card gpu as always compared to their amd competitor.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockdalf
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Rockdalf: Amd dual core, gtx460 1gb. I'm going to buy an i7 this month. Look I supported amd for my last two builds, the only reason why anyone will use an amd product is because they want to save money. If money isn't a concern, no one will buy amd cpus over intel. I'm only saying. Also nvidia gives you more framerates for a single card gpu as always compared to their amd competitor. "
    When I asked what you were using, I was referring to drugs T.T .  If you want to spend a lot more money to squeeze out a few more frames, by all means, it's not my wallet.  Just make sure you have enough cash left over to support your habit man...
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Rockdalf: Great, your one of those best bang for your buck supporters. Hey not everyone wants the best, some are content with second rate products.
    jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By jimmy5150

I'm interested in why you chose these criteria for your machine.  Usually when people have more (or "unlimited") money they are able to go with the higher priced intel and nvidia components, but if they want to get the best bang for their buck they stick with AMD cards.  So if you have unlimited money, why are you forced to stick with AMD? 

Although as Korwin said, Two Asus Ares cards would make a pretty incredible rig.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sil3n7
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I prefer Intel and nVidia. "
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar

Thier CPUs doesn't have anything compared to Intels i7 lineup when it comes to games and just about everything else. But I would probably get two of these bad boys, and cross fire them together, even though the CPU would be the bottleneck, throw in a 850 W power supply 80% certified and the max ram it can have and an SSD drive in there as well. Everything else is just throw some money at it

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ryax

id rather shoot myself in the head then use ati again

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I prefer Intel and nVidia. "
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rockdalf
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Rockdalf: Great, your one of those best bang for your buck supporters. Hey not everyone wants the best, some are content with second rate products. "
    I don't know what you mean.  I can run everything I play on my computer at max settings and get well into 60-90 fps on it.  The way I see it, if I spend x amount of dollars and get 90 fps and you spend x+y amount of dollars and get 100 fps, you're just spending "y" to see a higher number as I don't believe you can tell a difference in those ten frames.  What's second rate about spending less money and getting more for it?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Rockdalf: Your wrong, you also have to factor in the cpu. For example a i7 overclocked might give you 20-30 more frames on top of the 10 more frames you get with the gpu. Trust me nvidia gpus will give you more than 10 frames with newer drivers. So when you factor all the bottlenecking you get with an amd phenom X4 or X6, then now it's even more powerful. Then again it's not worth it, still who cares, value isn't everything. You are getting frames from both cpu and gpu, not just a good enough gpu with lousy drivers and an under powered cpu which bottlenecks. It's actually X cpu, y gpu = Z framerates, which you haven't factored in with a weak amd cpu bottlenecking everything. 

Then again you could use a cheaper i5 cpu, paired with an ati gpu and it's still worth it's value that way with less disadvantages then just using amd products.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Franstone

A $1000 Intel i7 will give you hardly any advantage over a $280 AMD Phenom II x6 
    The Phenom can basically keep up w/ Intel's flagship CPU esp when it comes to gaming which most games don't even heavily rely on CPU nor take advantage of any chips 6 cores.  
    You should be more concerned about which video card than which CPU. 
    On the cheap an AMD Phenom II x4 or x6 would be fine.

You'll see differences in video editing, photoshop, and 3d rendering...  but not by much.  

I'd go w/ an ASUS Crosshair (I have the Crosshair III)  Or any high end ASUS board.
    Corsair has been voted best power supply just about everywhere. 
    RAM is RAM, Just go w/ a well known company and make sure it matches whatever motherboard you pick out.  G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston...  
    You said ATI (which is most of the time voted better image quality) then get the 5970. 
    Stock Fan w/ CPU would be fine unless you think you need to overclock. 
    Maybe a large Solid State Drive for where your OS will go, get a 500GB-1TB drive for everything else. (I use Western Digital, retail package)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Franstone: no one ever said we need a i7 with six cores, the 4 core 8 hyperthread can already destroy your phenom X6 giving you less bottlenecking and more frames because it's more powerful. Alot of ppl thinks their X4 cpu is good enough or comparable to lower clocked i7 cpus or i5, yet when you overclock, intel destroys the competition. 

It's funny just because ppl say some shit like well games doesn't utilize more cores, doesn't mean a more powerful cpu can't reduce more bottlenecking. Then why even sell processors with more cores with your thinking. Look it's obvious ppl likes to create misconceptions that amd cpus are good enough and there is no bottlenecking.  To answer a few post above, is there a difference from using a more expensive product from a cheaper weaker amd cpu? Yes there is, 85 frames vs 110 frames. If you don't think that makes a difference, then keep using amd products. Maybe 73 frames is good enough compared to a 120 frames, if that's value, then your paying for exactly what your getting. Nvidia and intel is overpriced, however in combination, it's a stronger product frameratewise. Of course ppl will spin this information and give say amd is similar or that's enough frames, however one combination of them is much stronger is more capable objectively.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Franstone

Chill out man, I'm not talking shit I'm just giving the kid advice. 
    You don't NEED to dish out more money on a CPU to get 5-10 more FPS. 

And you don't NEED to overclock. 
    My system runs everything blazingly fast.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Franstone: There is only one or two overclocked cpu from the chart above, the rest are on stock settings. If you read the chart above, how can you say it's 10 more frames? It's like 47 more frames in farcry 2 for the max frames. Sure you can't see all the frames however it's there. 10 more frames, lol, you still belive that after seeing these charts?  

For this set of chart, I don't know why the frames are so high, even if you divide it in half, which I think is more accurate, amd cpus are alot weaker overall in power. It's not the same. Comparatively intel products will give your videocard more framerates and it's just generalization that they are the same, or a misconception ppl are spreading around as truths.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By borodin

If I actually had an unlimited budget I'd buy a system from a retailer (probably something from scan) and get a good warranty. 

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Franstone

Yea great, but look at the average FPS, that probably matters more. 
    Who cares how many FPS you get standing still in a hallway. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Franstone: So you don't care about high framerates at all, you like to keep that significantly lower. I guess that's life, it's not how fast you can go, it's how good you are averagely in the middle? Lol. It's because amd cpus can't get higher framerates, they try to spin how similar the average is. It's only an average and at times during gaming, you want higher framerates over lower or average framerates. You are trying to spin it as amd products are equally as good, yet you are denying the power of i7 processors or their capabilities. 

Who cares a race car can go much faster, it's the overall middle average that's important? That's just a way of saying a weaker car can compare to a more expensive more powerful car and going faster means nothing. I disagree. Sure the amd product might be good enough to alot of ppl, however it's still a bottleneck even if we can't see more than 60 frames on our displays most of the time unless it's a 3d display.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Franstone

I was speaking hypothetically for starters,  it's not worth it to the average person to spend an extra $700 dollars for a CPU. (nevermind a high end board that supports an Intel CPU would be an extra $100-$200) 
    Please don't bite my head off, haven't checked prices as of late... 

Besides this person said A-M-D. 
    Clearly you are a semi-psychotic Intel fanboy so I'll just end this now.  

Just so ya know the only game I have that runs below 60 FPS is Crysis and Metro 2033. 
    Battlefield BC2 at about 90 
    Left for Dead 180+  
    StarCraft II about 60 

All with a shitty "average" AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 and a 5870 (which isn't even the best card on the market anymore, was when I bought it) 
    Nightroad91 hope you build a nice machine and have fun!
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Franstone: you just don't read my post, I never said for ppl to buy the X6 version of the i7. Where did I say that's the only option? I said for them to buy the i7 930 version, that's only $289 right now and overclock it. Right now on newegg a 950 i7 is $300, down from the $550 it was. Also a X58 mobo is like $215, which isn't overly expensive, you can use both amd and nvidia cards crossfired on it. I am comparing the i7 quad core 8 hyper thread to the phenom X6 version. There is no need for the X6 intel processor right now and I don't need that to compete against amd because they aren't even as powerful as the quad core i7. X4 isn't giving you all the framerates you could have, you can have a lot more with intel, don't say it's exactly equal, it's not. I'm sure amd is good enough for most ppl, however if you have unlimited cash, I think it's better to go with intel/nvidia and it's more than 10 frames.

Look if you like value, then go with amd, you want more power yet price isn't a concern, then go intel/nvidia. If you keep ignoring the revelations of my post and keep saying misconceptions of it's comparative power, then i'm not getting my point through to you, which means i'm wasting my time. Don't tell others that it's only 10 frames difference and the higher frames doesn't matter. If you read my post earlier, which you didn't, I am using an amd dual core right now. It's just I am having a lot of bottlenecking with that product and I don't support them anymore. I said my last two builds were amd products. Learn to read my post for a change, or your not listening to my points saying yours.  

Lastly most of my disagreements on the forum are from ppl with less than 500 post, they don't seem to want to read my post and just say their opinion without listening to others and keeps putting words in your mouth. It's just not you, it's been happening for the last two months, I keep replying to them, i'm going to reconise the pattern and stop because your not listening to my points. It would be like 50 replies or more as expected just like in the past for the last 6 ppl i've talked to here. Yet it goes nowhere because these newer users tends not to listen to me and put words in my mouth. 

Edit: value doesn't mean it's better, it just means it's better value, not more powerful. I just find it contridictory that if you have all the money in the world, you will pick an amd product.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Franstone

WTF do you think you are the hand of GOD? 
    Get over yourself. 

Obviously you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. 
    Thats the way things are!  

He asked about AMD and I replied about AMD

Sorry I haven't jacked off to Tom's Hardware's benchmarks as of late.  
    Goodbye!
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Franstone

oh yea, I found some benchmarks too! Weeeeee!! 

= Not worth the extra $700+
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Franstone: just overclock the i7 930 version, (watch him ignore this part of the post) and it will run faster than a X6 i7. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't understand that. 

Look at the overclocked 4Ghz vs the i7X6 cores, same framerates = same benefits overclocked. The only way you will understand it is if I circle it for you, otherwise you won't get it. Honestly it's like talking to a brick wall because a wall doesn't listen.  

You think we are comparing the X6 to the X6? The X6 amd is just a X4 phenom with two extra useless cores. Why can't I compare a i7 8 thread 4 core cpu instead? Oh wait, you shut of your brain, why do I even bother? I mean i'm getting the same benefit as the X6 i7 overclocked. Most pc gamers buys an i7 to overclock it, not run it at stock. I'm not replying anymore because you refuse to read my post and use or use any logic. You see things, you don't understand it.  

I mean look at the price of this i7 cpu, it's not a thousand dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225&cm_re=i7_930-_-19-115-225-_-Product     $285

i7 4.0Ghz and i7 975 = 110 frames
    i7 4.0Ghz and i7 975 = 110 frames

i7 4.0Ghz and i7975 higher frames overclocked for the quad
    i7 4.0Ghz and i7975 higher frames overclocked for the quad

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By No0b0rAmA

If you want to burn $15000 on a computer with Intel and Nvidia parts, this computer is for you.
    However, if you want to go with ATI/AMD, here I my endorsed specs:
    Case: Corsair 800D
    CPU:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition  
    Cooler: Corsair Hydro H70 (Liquid cooling)
    Mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD70
    PSU: A 1200W PSU from a reputable company like OCZ or Cooler Master.
    GPU: ATI Radeon 5970

However, I'd wait a year till Bulldozer comes out. Apparently that will be able to compete with Intel in the future and its slated for 2011. It's likley not going to support the AM3 socket, so if you can hold out, wait.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Adamsons
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Rockdalf: Amd dual core, gtx460 1gb. I'm going to buy an i7 this month. Look I supported amd for my last two builds, the only reason why anyone will use an amd product is because they want to save money. If money isn't a concern, no one will buy amd cpus over intel. I'm only saying. Also nvidia gives you more framerates for a single card gpu as always compared to their amd competitor. "

This is debatable, atleast at similar price points anyway. ATIs 5xxx series cards are also quieter, cooler and less power hungry. i7s although not the be all end all are pretty fantastic chips though.

I agree with a Corsair 1200W PSU (Pref single rail) and an 800D case and either a H70 or a TRUE black.

Waiting to see how Bulldozer and Southern Islands pan out would be my choice though.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Adamsons: I find your recommendation very agreeable.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Adamsons: Well not as quiet as the gtx460 or cool, you can sli both of them for $480, it will be nearly equilvent to a hd5970 which cost alot more. You can overclock the gtx460 past a hd5850 powerwise as some ppl have claimed if you have a good cpu to go with it. Then again you need a sli mobo, which isn't difficult if you went with an i7 and alot of mobos supports that. We are not talking about price points, that doesn't mean a lower price means it's automatically better, it just means it's cheaper. I don't know why everyone is having a mentality like that, maybe it's because we are in a recession and every dollar saved is a good thing. It's like saying your ferrerri is more expensive than my whatever cheaper car therefore it's worst for it's power which is only a bit faster.

However one thing I agree with everyone is the H70 cooler, thought you can add a second fan to the H50 yourselves if you have an extra one lying around.
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Another note about the 5970: It functions as a crossfired device.  If a game doesn't support crossfire then it drops down and works like a 5850 with lots of RAM.  Crossfire isn't supported as well as SLI is. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.