In need of a new one.

#1 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

So I accidentally dropped my computer in the ground and now it makes strange noices and I have to start it by connecting two wires.
So I figured it's time I buy a new one, since I've been planning on doing so for some time.

The problem is that I don't know shit about computers. I know this is going to sound incredibly lazy, but can someone recommend me a completely new one for about $2000 (or less, I just want a rig that can handle all (or most?) of today's games and will last for some time before becoming obsolete)? I would feel a lot safer buying it that way. Also, I have no problem building it myself. 

(Note: Only the computer, I already have a monitor, mouse and all that stuff)

Sorry for the shitty english, I'm kinda tired.

#2 Edited by Akrid (1356 posts) -
Get one of these.

I price checked the Paladin Dr I last night against individual parts on newegg and it was a bit less, if not completely the same price. I can only assume the others are reasonably priced as well.

I can't even comprehend a $2000 rig. What would that even get you? A $1000 will run anything that's on the market piece of cake, and with DirectX bullshit future-proofing can only go so far.
#3 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Are you going to use it for just gaming, or gaming and HPC (folding, video encoding)? 

#4 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Geno:  I'm only going to use it for gaming.
#5 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

$2000 will sure get you a nice rig.

#6 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: You check out the Building a PC vid Will did over at Tested? It was worth $1500 at the time.
#7 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
"The problem is that I don't know shit about computers...
...Also, I have no problem building it myself."
That seems... contradictory.

Anyway, the comp. they build in Tested.com's How To Build An Awesome $1500 PC video is still pretty decent. You can always adjust components as needed.
#8 Edited by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

2 Grand is a lot, but if your fine with spending that much I'd look into pre-built stuff as an option to avoid the hassle.

#9 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Akrid said:
" Get one of these.  I price checked the Paladin Dr I last night against individual parts on newegg and it was a bit less, if not completely the same price. I can only assume the others are reasonably priced as well.  I can't even comprehend a $2000 rig. What would that even get you? A $1000 will run anything that's on the market piece of cake, and with DirectX bullshit future-proofing can only go so far. "
As I said I'm pretty out off touch on what parts to get. I don't really how much it will cost, so thanks for informing me, I'm just looking for a really good gaming rig.

@Afroman269: Yeah, I haven't seen that one, Thanks!

@ZimboDK said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
"The problem is that I don't know shit about computers...
...Also, I have no problem building it myself."
That seems... contradictory.

Anyway, the comp. they build in Tested.com's How To Build An Awesome $1500 PC video is still pretty decent. You can always adjust components as needed.
"
I have built my own computers before, I just don't know what parts to get. Also thanks for linking the video.
#10 Posted by ReefTrigger (91 posts) -

Think about waiting to buy a rig.  Both Intel and AMD are coming out with new sockets next year that will obsolete a lot of existing mobos.  (Intel: 1155 obsoletes 1156  AMD: AM3+ obsoletes AM3)

#11 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

ReefTrigger is correct. However if you want something now, I would recommend a X58 mobo because you can use both sli and crossfireX. I have three slots in my mobo for videocards. You don't have to worry about cpu bottlenecks and if you need more power, just sli or crossfire when things are dirt cheap. You probally want to go with an i7 950, it's quite cheap for an i7 and it's strong and fast enough you probally don't need to spend $50-$90 for another cpu cooler. It's not going to get obsolete for a while and you only have to worry about updating the videocard in the future.

Ppl might tell you to buy an i5, or get a phenom X4, or X6, I say if you got the money maybe you should consider the intel route and i7. That's my suggestion, I went that route and have zero regrets.  

Edit: Lol I never said to get a new sandy bridge or bulldozer mobo, I said they will be eventually released and that's true of what reeftrigger said. I said get a X58 mobo and be done with it. Once these i7 cpus reaches 4.0Ghz, there is really no bottlenecking and it's not something you should worry about anymore.

#12 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: So this is what I came up with. It's $2003 after rebates and comes with a free game.  

OC processor to 5Ghz :P  
#13 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@ReefTrigger: @HitmanAgent47:  Thanks for the tips and warnings.

@Geno: Thanks! I really appreciate it :D

But do you think it's worth waiting like Hitman and ReefTrigger suggested?
#14 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:

" @ReefTrigger: @HitmanAgent47:  Thanks for the tips and warnings.

@Geno: Thanks! I really appreciate it :D  But do you think it's worth waiting like Hitman and ReefTrigger suggested? "

Sandy Bridge will be releasing into the mainstream market in January, but none of it is significantly better than what's available now (the 2600K will be 10% faster than the 875K clock for clock, but will cost close to $400). Ivy Bridge will be releasing later into the year, but will be geared towards much beyond gaming needs (which is why I asked if you were just gaming with this or not). With a massively OCed quad core with hyperthreading (the 875K is the strongest overclocker out there right now with the exception of the $1,000 980X), you're not going to be wanting on the CPU side for a while in terms of gaming. 
#15 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Geno:  Ok then, I think I'm going to go with the build you suggested. Thanks for all the help! :D
#16 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose:  On that Dr. I, it has an i7 950 processor, pretty well the best available and largely massive overkill on games. 12gb of DDR3 ram, again, massive overkill. The 460 graphics card is one of the best single card solutions available. You also get an  SSD drive to run windows off of and a terabyte of storage. All for $1300. Plus, you don't have to build the fucking thing. Which, granted, can be fun, but it's a hassle. Keep in mind I have roughly half all of these specs and I can run any game I please.

The 460 is probably the weakest link (Mainly because of how fast the GPU market moves), but it's still one of the best cards, and anything better starts to get an insanely steep price hike. Benchmarks. (It's a 2Gb though, I couldn't find any on it). The GPU solution Geno has is probably the best you could ever hope for though. You'll have to do a bit of research and decide if the extra $700 is worth it for amazing GPU power, which is the most important part of a gaming PC. But note his build is weaker on everything else.

I guess that's my pitch, since I feel like a salesman, but it seems like a steal to me. I also really have no clue about waiting, I suppose it depends on how patient you are and if the improvements that are forthcoming seem worth it to have as soon as possible.
#17 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Geno:  Ok then, I think I'm going to go with the build you suggested. Thanks for all the help! :D "
Cool, good luck. 
#18 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Fragstoff: He might as well get a gtx 580, a gtx 480 runs very hot and it's nearly $500. For $529, the gtx 580 is stronger and it runs cooler with it's vapour technology. It's not much of a difference and now isn't a good time to get a gtx 480.  

One gtx 580 is probally enough for anyone btw, you seriously want to pay a grand for two? Put the money towards a better mobo instead, something more reputable. 

Edit: i'm not saying their opinion is totally credible, however alot of ppl are recommending the 950 over the other cpu. 
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/847452-i7-950-vs-i7-875k.html    
#19 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

Now I got all jealous and stuff ):

#20 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Akrid said:
 The GPU solution Geno has is probably the best you could ever hope for though. You'll have to do a bit of research and decide if the extra $700 is worth it for amazing GPU power, which is the most important part of a gaming PC. But note his build is weaker on everything else. 
Weaker on everything else? The CPU smashes the Core i7 950 when overclocked, what are you talking about? Admittedly the memory is lower, but 4GB system memory won't bottleneck any game for years. 
#21 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

A THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of graphics cards...

Oh man.

I'm tired of being a penniless student.

#22 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: Are you sure you want to spend a grand on videocards? One of those videocards is nearly the power of a HD 5970 and that's a dual gpu card. One is already powerful enough for most games. Seriously, also buying a biostar mobo? I would of bought something with a better brand for a mobo like an asus mobo or gigabyte mobo. You only get to sli, not crossfireX. However it's your decision if you ever decided to one day to go that route. However it's your money and decision.
#23 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  Thanks for the help. But yeah, It's not like I'm gonna order this today so I'm always open for suggestions, I'll look into the HD 5970.
#24 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: I'll agree that it's a bit overpowered for most games (except Crysis, never Crysis >.>), but hey, I was following the budget. As for the mobo, Biostar is fine and that particular model supports both SLI and CFX. 

And 5970 is an awful choice right now considering you can get 6850 Crossfire, same performance for 60% of the cost. 
#25 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: I'm not much of an Ati supporter myself in terms of the hd 5970. I only mentioned that because i'm speaking in relative power and I think once your near that point, you probally have enough power for a while. I think one GTX 580 should be more than enough. You can probally save yourself a bit of money that way and if it's not enough, which I doubt, then get a second one later on. It's really damn powerful and the fastest single card solution right now. If you have two of them, you'll be like running every game at 90 frames or more maxed out. For most games, the relative power is already quite great with that card, it should last you for a while, no need to really upgrade.
#26 Posted by OdinsThunder (156 posts) -

You don't need two gtx 580's, that's just ridiculous. Hell, some people think that just one is a bit overkill.  Not me though :) 

Sure, get a motherboard which supports SLI and then you can pick up another gtx 580 down the road in say  2 - 3 years time when you may actually need that sort of power.
#27 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: @OdinsThunder:  Thanks! Seems like I'll only be getting one of those then.
#28 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

o.O

#29 Posted by OdinsThunder (156 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose:
You'll have more money to spend on steam sales now :D
#30 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@OdinsThunder:  I almost forgot about those :D
#31 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Just stay away from CyberPower PC. Those people are fucking scum bags.

#32 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -
@Geno: I'd go with a better board personally. On the AMD side of things I've had shit luck overclocking with Biostar boards. I'd go for  an Asus or Gigabyte. Also that board only does 8x  PCI-E in SLI mode. Admittedly it is a great price for an SLI board but from what it looks he isn't really looking for a bargain.
#33 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@Geno:  Does it? I didn't really look at the cooling or anything like that (I assumed it wouldn't catch fire) and I'm not well versed in this overclocking business. And the memory won't be a problem for a while, but compared to your other parts I'd wager it would be the first to go.

All in all though, you're probably right. I still think that that $700 will go to waste (There are so many roadblocks that make your computer obsolete), but if you're willing to spend $2000 then it's peanuts.
#34 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Suicidal_SNiper said:

" @Geno: I'd go with a better board personally. On the AMD side of things I've had shit luck overclocking with Biostar boards. I'd go for  an Asus or Gigabyte. Also that board only does 8x  PCI-E in SLI mode. Admittedly it is a great price for an SLI board but from what it looks he isn't really looking for a bargain. "

Biostar isn't the best mobo company but it's certainly not bad. I would agree that a better board can probably be justified, but it was either use that board or go for a much lower end (relatively speaking) GPU or CPU setup (keeping strictly to his budget). PCIe 2.0 has something like 98-99% scaling on 8x compared to 16x, so that's not really a problem (4x is a different story, which is why I specifically looked for an 8x/8x mobo). 

@Akrid

said:

" @Geno:  Does it? I didn't really look at the cooling or anything like that (I assumed it wouldn't catch fire) and I'm not well versed in this overclocking business. 

950 OCs to about 4.0-4.4Ghz max on an H70 watercooling, 875K can go beyond that on just air. It's designed from the ground up for overclocking. Only processor that currently exceeds it in overclocking potential is the 980X, but that's $1,000. This is of course all assuming that the OP knows how to and is willing to overclock. If not then a Core i5 760 would be the best value at stock settings; it would perform almost the same as the 950 in games since games don't care about hyperthreading.
#35 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: You could also go for something like GTX 470 SLI or Radeon HD 6870 CF which is still very graphically strong, and then spend the rest on rounding out the PC. Get a C300 SSD, better mobo, an external backup HDD etc. 
#36 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -
@Geno: True that. You really only see a difference with above 8x/8x if you have multiple monitors running at gigantic resolutions. Even then it's negligible.
#37 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Geno said:
@Akrid said:

" @Geno:  Does it? I didn't really look at the cooling or anything like that (I assumed it wouldn't catch fire) and I'm not well versed in this overclocking business. 

950 OCs to about 4.0-4.4Ghz max on an H70 watercooling, 875K can go beyond that on just air. It's designed from the ground up for overclocking. Only processor that currently exceeds it in overclocking potential is the 980X, but that's $1,000. This is of course all assuming that the OP knows how to and is willing to overclock. If not then a Core i5 760 would be the best value at stock settings; it would perform almost the same as the 950 in games since games don't care about hyperthreading. "
I second this.  Right now, for price and performance (including power consumption over the 9xx 1366 systems) the 875K is the best VFM overclocker's CPU.  It's also a reasonably cheap way to give any LGA1156 system a lot of longevity because you can quite easily take the CPU to 5Ghz and higher, even on air.  The one caveat is that some motherboard's need BIOS updates (or downgrades, in the case of the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P which needs BIOS release F8) to run it properly due to the way the multiplier is used.
#38 Posted by roninenix (119 posts) -

I built one about 2 months ago, specs are

Case: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Mid-Tower Gaming Case

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

Cooling Fan: * CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof)

Motherboard: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair Dominator)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card

Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0/3.0 Ports 

Ended up being around $1400. It's been running great for me, haven't had any trouble with any game up to date.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.