Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Insight on Building a new PC

Avatar image for thewonderwaffle
    thewonderwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thewonderwaffle

Hello Giant Bomb userbase, 
    I'm looking to build a new PC for use with gaming, video editing, and the like and have compiled a list of components that seem to fit my needs. I decided to post this list here in order to seek any insight that the community might have for a first-time pc builder. Please bear in mind that I'm not looking for a top-of-the-line rig, mainly just something that has a lot of bang for my buck. I'm specifically interested in any components that might be overkill in relation to the others, I'm afraid the graphics card I've chosen might be...

I haven't purchased any components yet, and any insight, both positive or negative would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks. 

Luchadeer for Life!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Good for a medium high build. I don't have a problem with it overall. If you want to sli later on, maybe the psu could be higher, if not, then it should last you quite a while.

jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jimmy5150

You haven't chosen any parts that I would consider "overkill".  This is a great machine that will run current games well at very high settings.

Avatar image for thewonderwaffle
    thewonderwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By thewonderwaffle

Thanks for your input guys, if anyone else has any tips, I'd be glad to hear them!
    Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chandu83

This the configuration is fantastic. You might to upgrade the RAM to 6GB if you can afford it. I find that with more RAM multitasking becomes a lot faster. 

I am not saying 4GB is less, it will do perfectly, but if you want to future proof your PC a little bit, you might want to add another GB of RAM, if its within the budget of course. 

Also, with a graphics card like that a good widescreen monitor would be fantastic. What monitor do you have?

Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
    TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll

1k seems like a lot to spend building a new rig.  If this is indeed your first computer you build, then your fine, but if you have other computer laying around, consider salvaging older parts from them if there is nothing wrong with them.  DVD drive, power supplies and hard drives are what I usually transfer from one rig to the next, since they are pretty interchangeable with every motherboard.  You can always try to match up your ram from your old hard drive to your new one, and just add to it.  But, if all your other parts are super old then just go for a fresh build.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.