Installing new gtx need some help

#1 Edited by konig_kei (575 posts) -

Hey duders need some help, so I bought a gigabyte 7970 and when I put it in and all that jazz ( I uninstalled old drivers) I get no POST beep to say that everythings all good or you dun goofed. When I try without gfx card just using onboard gfx or old graphics card (5850) it works fine.

Specs:

I5 2500k stock

Antec 620w high current gamer

Asrock h61m-s</p><p>Corsair vengeance 8gb

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: fucked up meant gfx not gtx, stupid shitty fingers and mobile site.

#2 Edited by StrikeALight (1111 posts) -

Is 620W enough for that card? Other than that, I don't really know.

#3 Edited by konig_kei (575 posts) -

Is 620W enough for that card? Other than that, I don't really know.

box says 500w or more.

#4 Posted by Truant19 (197 posts) -

Are you 100% you put the extra power cable to the card? I know it seems obvious but I have forgotten a few times.

You could try the card in another computer. That would rule out any possibility that the card is damaged. I know that can be a pain in the ass though. My only other suggestions would be to hit up the manufacturer support.

#5 Posted by konig_kei (575 posts) -

I do have both the pcie power plugs in the card. I should probably add that all the fans spin like case fans, CPU and the gpu if that means anything.

#6 Posted by Stonyman65 (2406 posts) -

Why did you uninstall the display drivers before you put the card in?

Make sure the card is seated all the way into the PCIe slot. Sometimes those can be a little tricky.

#7 Posted by konig_kei (575 posts) -

Why did you uninstall the display drivers before you put the card in?

Make sure the card is seated all the way into the PCIe slot. Sometimes those can be a little tricky.

because the internet told me to and i pushed it down well.

#8 Posted by Devildoll (831 posts) -

@strikealight:the card itself doesnt eat more than 250 watts. and that maximum.

i've got one, and my system runs about 4-450 watts, and my cpu is mad thirsty.

the 7970 needs a 8pin pci-e and a 6 pin pci-e, make sure you didnt try with two 6 pin pci-e.
Other than that, try it in another computer, if it doesnt work, you have to consider the option of it being doa.

#9 Edited by Stonyman65 (2406 posts) -

@konig_kei: Oh sorry, I thought you meant the new drivers for that card. You are supposed to uninstall the old ones first. Nevermind.

Okay, so the card is in the slot and screwed down..... Make sure you have the 8-pin PCIe cables fully seated into the card. I'm not sure, but I think some PSUs have specific 8-pin connectors for the card.

The only other thing I can think of if that doesn't work is that the card is DOA. This isn't exactly rocket science, it should work right after you plug it in.

#10 Edited by konig_kei (575 posts) -

the psu has 2 8 pin pci-e pwer thingies with the 2 on the end sorta splitting from the 6 if that makes sense so i put the 6 + 2 and the other 6 in.

#11 Edited by konig_kei (575 posts) -

My fellow duders,

Victory is mine, me 1 - computer 0. The solution was that i had to update my motherboard BIOS which was the scariest god damn thing but..... SUCCESS! Now let us all celebrate by playing some WvWvW, after i fix the icons on my desktop of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.