Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is $1000 a decent price to spend on a Gaming PC?

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm planning to build a rig for about $1000 soon, is that a decent amount, I didn't really wanna spend anymore then that.

I wanna build a rig that will play games like cryostais, cod6, crysis, operation flashpoint: dragon rising and such on high settings...

anyone got some advice or tips?^^

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FCKSNAP

High setting? Maybe mid-high. Are you factoring in the OS, or is that already taken care of?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

If you are looking to play them at high settings then No.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Kajaah117

I built mine for around $800 and it runs stuff just fine. Crysis pushes it at high but I can max just about any other game out.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes that should be fine.  My PC was just under $1000 (it's kind of outdated now though) and it can run Crysis at medium/high, just expect to have to play around with the settings some.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bioderm

You will run every game very well, I bought my pc last summer for around 1100 and I am running crysis mid-high but every other game is high. Don't build a rig for crysis it's not worth it just for 1 game anyway most game on pc nowadays are  console ports =/ but at least when you get the game for PC you get the best out of that game :P.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sushbag

If you don't factor in ANYTHING other the computer itself, such as input devices, monitor, speakers/headphones, and operating system, and assuming you're building the rig yourself, for $1000 you can get a pretty good rig that will run anything currenly available reasonably well. Now, for more high end performance you'll have to spend about $1500, so keep that in mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snapstacle said:
    "High setting? Maybe mid-high. Are you factoring in the OS, or is that already taken care of?"
    yea the OS is already taken care of, i dont plan on running crysis on FULL HIGH, mid to high is fine
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maru

$1000 is plenty.  You will be able max out Crysis (with 2x AA though) and maintain silky smooth gameplay. 
    I'm guessing you already have the keyboard, mouse, and monitor ?

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By QuattroRS6
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By atejas

Anywhere between 700-1000 is ideal for middle-high performance. Except for system eaters like Crysis or Empire Total War.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

It should be just fine if you find good prices. I bought my new setup a while ago for 1000 euros, which should be about $1500 in value at the time (exchange rate has changed lately), but prices here are usually waaaay too high for that to apply. The base is a modest Core 2 Duo 3.16, 4GB Crucial ram, and an Asus GTX 285 (as well as a good Asus mobo), while I even had enough left to spend on extra cooling and a reeeeeeeally good PSU, as well as a nice case. I didn't spend anything on mice/keyboards as I simply cleaned my trusty old Logitech MX 1000 and Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard. I also kept my old 250GB HDD (and bought another one on top, and a DVD burner for backups, they're so cheap) and the same for my 5.1 speakers setup. Of course, I also kept my great LG Flatron Wide monitor. It's only 20" (with a native res of 1680x1050 more often found in 22" monitors) but it's about as big as my desk can fit.

It runs all the recent games I actually own (Far Cry 2, Crysis and Crysis Warhead, Bioshock, I can't think of other demanding ones atm) without any need to tweak them outside using the maximum available options (of course, this may differ if you have one of those huge monitors with much higher resolution). I don't know about future games though, those aren't out yet, duh. I'm confident it will run many of them excellent as it runs the likes of Unreal Tournament 3 with no problems whatsoever and that's one engine that is certain to see a lot of use in the next years.

By the time you actually make the purchase, perhaps you can buy a Core i7 instead of a Core 2 Duo but those were too expensive when I bought mine, and maybe you can get a GTX 295 instead of 285 (I could too but I'm not fond of dual solutions). Also, buy just the parts and without an OS if you're at least a little tech savy and can use your current Windows for the new setup. That's a lot of money that can go in other parts instead.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

For Crysis you may have to do without the uber huigh physics and suff, but you should be fine. There are a lot of settings on Crysis you can set down and probably not notice visually. Shaders is a good one, physics, water effects but that won't effect the actual framerate too much anyway, and the textures still look great at medium-high or whatever they call it. But beyond that you should be fine, the other games shouldn't be much of an issue assuming you buy smart.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

To add to my last post, here's exactly what I bought as seen in my order history for that store. You can probably find it all cheaper by now.

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By RiddleBrother
    dude, i know this place where you can get a sick gaming computer for $400 bucks. I got one and I'm really happy with it. Check it out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks for the help guys ^^

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Geno

A PC that will even begin to play Crysis on high will be about $2000. You should be spending $1000 on the graphics cards and processors alone; ideally, a PC that has the best value for money would be around $3000, with the newest motherboard chipsets, an i7 processor from Intel, tri-sli gtx cards (current highest is 295 but 350 will be out soon with significant advantages), 6GB DDR3 as fast as you can get, and a decent cooling system.

A gaming PC is expensive at first, but once you get it it's fairly cheap and easy to upgrade. You only need to switch graphics cards every 2-3 years, and processor about every 4. SLI and crossfire technology from Nvidia and ATI respectively means that you also have the option of adding cheap, older cards together rather than going out to buy new ones as well, which in practice means you only need to update graphics about every 5 years.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clarke0

If you are smart about what you get you can easily build a higher end PC for that price. My suggestion: newegg.com

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    clarke0 said:
    "If you are smart about what you get you can easily build a higher end PC for that price. My suggestion: newegg.com"
    Newegg is great.
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maru
    Geno said:
    "A PC that will even begin to play Crysis on high will be about $2000. You should be spending $1000 on the graphics cards and processors alone; ideally, a PC that has the best value for money would be around $3000, with the newest motherboard chipsets, an i7 processor from Intel, tri-sli gtx cards (current highest is 295 but 350 will be out soon with significant advantages), 6GB DDR3 as fast as you can get, and a decent cooling system.A gaming PC is expensive at first, but once you get it it's fairly cheap and easy to upgrade. You only need to switch graphics cards every 2-3 years, and processor about every 4. SLI and crossfire technology from Nvidia and ATI respectively means that you also have the option of adding cheap, older cards together rather than going out to buy new ones as well, which in practice means you only need to update graphics about every 5 years. "

Your joking right ?
    Single GTX 260 can handle Crysis max (2x AA) no problem.
    gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gazel_ministry

Intel Core i7 920 Processor ($288.99)
    ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard ($234.99) - Look at the Gigabyte motherboards too.
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($119.99)
    2 Crucial 2GB 240-PIN DIMM 256MX64 DDR3 PC3-10600 UNBUFF ($86.37)
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260  = ($238.99)
    Grand Total = $969.33. That'll run Crysis. Oh, you may need one of those hard drive things and some sort of power supply. These are all newegg prices.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bioderm

Gaming pc are alot cheaper than before.

Now with console you need an HD TV that cost more than the price of a gaming pc and you can do alot more with a PC  than with a TV/Console.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seedofpower
    TheMustacheHero said:
    "clarke0 said:
    "If you are smart about what you get you can easily build a higher end PC for that price. My suggestion: newegg.com"
    Newegg is great."
    I second that opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seedofpower said:
    "TheMustacheHero said:
    "clarke0 said:
    Newegg is great."
    I second that opinion. "
    yea I bought a few things from newegg.com newegg is boss @_@
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolverine
    Jman522 said:
    "I'm planning to build a rig for about $1000 soon, is that a decent amount, I didn't really wanna spend anymore then that.I wanna build a rig that will play games like cryostais, cod6, crysis, operation flashpoint: dragon rising and such on high settings...anyone got some advice or tips?^^"
    No I don't think that is enough. I would say you would need to spend at least $1500.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Drebin_893

And people call the PS3 expensive.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bioderm

You need a HD tv to really enjoy ps3

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I built mine for about $650 in August, (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers not included), and I can run basically every  game (except crysis) on 1900x1200 with high textures and such.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bioderm

Yeah you cang et a very decent pc for 650$ but don't expect to run Crysis on high. But who cares crysis is just 1 game and it's not worth building a PC just for Crysis.

Avatar image for existentnighthawk
    existentnighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jman522 said:
    "I'm planning to build a rig for about $1000 soon, is that a decent amount, I didn't really wanna spend anymore then that.I wanna build a rig that will play games like cryostais, cod6, crysis, operation flashpoint: dragon rising and such on high settings...anyone got some advice or tips?^^"
    Why Cryostasis? People have told me that game is pretty much fail...along with the other one thats releasing with it...necrovision..
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    Jman522 said:
    Crysis on high? Easily. I'm not kidding. If you're going to build a computer from parts it's much cheaper than people assume. I'd suggest this video card and either this or this processor. The i7 processors are the new thing, so you might want to consider getting that so that you're futureproofed.
    Avatar image for theineffablebob
    TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By TheIneffableBob

$1,000 will buy you a high-end PC.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/04/04/what-hardware-should-i-buy-april-2009/6

(Replace the motherboard with something like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R and the optical drive with a regular DVD reading one and it'll be under $1,000).

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

You should be able to manage just fine if you source your components well.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By xplodedd
    Jman522 said:
    "Snapstacle said:
    "High setting? Maybe mid-high. Are you factoring in the OS, or is that already taken care of?"
    yea the OS is already taken care of, i dont plan on running crysis on FULL HIGH, mid to high is fine"
    mid to high it would do for sure, as long as your buying the right stuff
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By HydraHam

i paid about 1000 for fine and i can run crysis on high.. people here saying otherwise i highly suggest you stop buying dell and alienware computers.. you can build a PC that can run every game listed on high for 1000

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.