Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is a Steam Machine right for me?

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I've been looking at getting a new laptop for some time,but outside of gaming, I don't really "need" one. The laptop I have works fine, but is starting to chug because I have over 200 GB of music and games on my laptop(I only have a 250 internal) . Yes I also have an external HDD that I use. Basically the only reason I would get/want a new one is to play the mass collection of Steam games I have. I haven't seen a price or anything like that released so far, but strictly as another "gaming machine" would you think it would be worth it for someone like me?

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

no way. if you want a new system, get one that can do more than just play games. the whole steam box thing is a joke in my mind.

also you dont need to have all of your games installed all the time. only install a handful as needed. same for music. do you use any cloud services?

or try upgrading some parts first. you performance could improve significantly by doing something as simple as buying a new solid state drive or just a larger one with better read/write speeds. upgrade the memory maybe too. little things can make a big difference and save a lot of money and time as opposed to buying a whole new system and migrating everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ozzdog12: Since there's not much out in the way of specs/prices yet they're kind of hard to recommend at the moment. It sounds like there's going to be enough of a variety to find one suitable to your needs, but if you can't wait there's enough guides around to building your own gaming pc.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Build a cheap gaming pc.

With steam home streaming now in swing, you can stream them all to your laptop. Or your tv via your laptop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.