Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is an HD7770 okay for my build?

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Dixego

Hello, duders. I recently bought a bunch of computer parts, and I'd like to ask you for your opinion: Would an AMD Radeon HD 7770 be okay with the following build?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM

Case: Cooler Master TC-101b w/500w power supply

Thanks in advance.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Of course it would be ok, not like it wouldn't work but you would have to play stuff in low to medium with fancy settings turned off. You got a good CPU there and that hard drive gives you lots of space but you might find it to be slow. Remember you pay for what you get a lot of times and graphics cards a big case of that, especially with how competitive things are at the moment. I would suggest you consider going for something in the 250 dollar range as it really would be a waste of those components for you to get a graphics card like that today. GTX 760 or the new R270 from AMD.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dixego

@thehbk said:

Of course it would be ok, not like it wouldn't work but you would have to play stuff in low to medium with fancy settings turned off. You got a good CPU there and that hard drive gives you lots of space but you might find it to be slow. Remember you pay for what you get a lot of times and graphics cards a big case of that, especially with how competitive things are at the moment. I would suggest you consider going for something in the 250 dollar range as it really would be a waste of those components for you to get a graphics card like that today. GTX 760 or the new R270 from AMD.

Well, you see, thing is, something like a GTX 760 would probably go way off my budget, so I was wondering about the 7770 because it seemed more affordable and OK in performance/price ratio. I do appreciate the feedback, though.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thats would not cut it. This website is a little indepth but will help you compare cards, then its up to you on price you want to pay/ can find.

http://www.hwcompare.com

The 7770 would not cut it. I upgraded from my 5770 which as the info in the link shows, the 7770 is only slightly better. http://www.hwcompare.com/11951/radeon-hd-5770-vs-radeon-hd-7770/

Meaning for BF3 for me, max settings and a explosion went off in my face my computer froze for three seconds then continued. Otherwise it ran fine, then more up to date game I had to fiddle with settings, Sleeping dogs as soon as I did a race or went too fast more so when in that rain. My frames would drop and I would be watching a slide show. It was good 90% untill I went very fast with other AI. So you would very much be wasteing money and outdated completely with new games in the next 6 months.

I upgraded to a Nvidia Geforce 660 Ti. Which should have been £400 but a friend sold it to me for £100. So this comp (3 years old) will be prepped for awhile untill i build a newer computer.

Info on how much of an upgrade I got from m 5770. http://www.hwcompare.com/13214/geforce-gtx-660-ti-vs-radeon-hd-5770/

Working on a budget i advise going AMD Radeon since Nvidia is usually more expensive for the same.

For reference on the most powerfull cards from the two companies.
    http://www.hwcompare.com/14456/geforce-gtx-titan-vs-radeon-hd-7990/

The Nvidia Titan is a single Graphic card and cost $1000 or £700. While Radeon HD 7790 kinda cheats, it has jammed two 7970's into the one card. Which means its far more powerfull than the single Titan. In pounds I can buy one for £400. There is diffrent makers and sellers so the price will vary from 400 to 1000. If I can get close to that performance for that amount of money, I aint gonna complain.

So measure yourself out, thats the top end get as close to as you can with the money you have/wish to spend.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I think I've changed my consideration towards an HD 7870, how good would that be for today's standards?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dixego: oh well, its better than my card. So you will be fine for three years more before you will have your hand forced to upgrade. Checking prices and that is an excellent choice for that price, so that is a good card.

A far sounder decision than the last card. You will run all currents games on high and should be good to keep you in the high of next year of games before maybe haveing to fiddle. You could scrape by and keep going for another.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.