Is it true that the PC has no good couch co-op games?!

#1 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I wanna play couch co-op/splitscreen on one PC (one TV) with one or more friends, and all I can find is a bunch of sidescrollers and childish-looking stuff. I can't find anything.. actiony and goodlooking. While in my X360 days I played games like Call of Duty, Halo, SC Conviction, Borderlands 1 and 2, Resident Evil 5, Far Cry 3, Gears of War series, Unreal Tournament 3 and others in splitscreen, now I'm on a brand new PC and.. I got nothing. Games like Trine and Bionic Commando ReArmed won't cut it, my friends need something a little more standard and shootsy.

So is this true, or can you list some great couch co-op games for PC? Master race gamers I need your help! It seems the PC gets shafted when it comes to 2 player split screen.

#2 Posted by mikey87144 (1777 posts) -

Trine

#3 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1640 posts) -

Jamestown is always fun if you like shoot 'em ups EDIT: I'm pretty sure no one has mentioned yet, but Trine is pretty good.

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3560 posts) -

Have you considered Trine!!!!!?

#5 Edited by dgtlty (160 posts) -

Portal 2

#6 Edited by Cameron (601 posts) -

I'm not really sure what you're looking for if you want a co-op game that isn't a side-scroller. Does anything have split-screen anymore? I think the Resident Evil games have local co-op, but that's really all I can think of. There are probably some third person shooters.

#7 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Do the lego games have the split screen on pc?

#8 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Street Fighter x Tekken.

#9 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Trine

I'm pretty sure no one has mentioned yet, but Trine is pretty good.

Have you considered Trine!!!!!?

You know what, you might be onto something. I need to run some tests and get back to you!

#10 Edited by Legend (2659 posts) -

Borderlands 1 & 2, Saint's Row 3, Resident Evil 6 and Orcs Must Die 2 are all great PC coop games. Not sure if they support split screen coop though.

#11 Posted by MonetaryDread (2035 posts) -

Sacred Citadel supports local co-op... You need two controllers though.

#12 Posted by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

Renegade Ops. Had so much fun with it!

#13 Edited by believer258 (11929 posts) -

This is the biggest fault of the PC as far as I'm concerned. And no, I can't name anything at all that hasn't already been mentioned, with the possible exception of Left 4 Dead 2.

#14 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

yes.

#15 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

Magicka, Renegade Ops, kart racers like F1 Race Stars, Sonic & All-Stars Racing... I never get the opportunity to play local coop and even I know a few, so there must be more if you dig around. Looks like the Lego games have local coop according to Steam. Hell, even get Toejam & Earl from Steam, that's a coop classic. So the answer to the thread title would be 'no'.

#16 Posted by StarFoxA (5158 posts) -

I know that Jamestown has local co-op. It's a pretty good game too.

#17 Posted by myketuna (1703 posts) -

I host a game session with a group of friends almost every weekend and being a mainly PC dude, I hate the fact that the PC has little to offer for couch co-op.

#18 Edited by fisk0 (4131 posts) -

ZDoom has (at least it used to have) splitscreen multiplayer (both co-op and competitive), and with that you can play almost every good FPS that's ever been made - Doom/Ultimate Doom, Doom II/Final Doom, Hexen, Heretic and Strife.

Since Skulltag/Zandronum are based on ZDoom, it's possible they also support that, though they are very heavily focused on online multiplayer.

There was a period in the late 80's and early 90's where a bunch of PC games had support for that, but for one reason or another that disappeared (probably in part due to the shift from the serial mouse port to PS/2 and later USB based mice, no matter how many USB/PS/2 mice you connect to one machine, they are used by the system as one device controlling the same pointer, seemed to be easier back in the serial port days to recognize the input from the separate mice and allow split screen in mouse controlled games such as Settlers II) , and pretty much only now when 360 gamepads have become the de-facto standard controller for many PC games, it seems to be returning again.

#19 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I wish they would include multiple controller support or something for PC games.

#20 Posted by super2j (1701 posts) -

earlier today i played trine 2 with my little sister for the first time on the couch using my pc.

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11960 posts) -
#22 Edited by Ixaan (25 posts) -

@mosdl: I dont know about the others, but Lego Lord of the Rings has amazing couch co-op. Keyboard controls kind of suck, so 2 wired controllers is the best bet. But it does divide up the keyboard too so that both players can play on one keyboard. It was awesome the first time I played with a friend because we were in the world map and I just said "Lets go pick up a quest in Bree" and fast traveled to Bree. I was jaw dropped for a good couple of minutes when only I traveled there and he stayed in the world map. Both players can play it in completely different sides of the world.

#23 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Pretty much all emulators have dual controller settings, I know they're not PC games but.. they're something.

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9815 posts) -

I doubt anybody has mentioned it but how about Trine?

#25 Posted by geirr (2576 posts) -

With the right emulators it has all the best co-op games!

#26 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

How about you try Trine? It's pretty unknown so that's why no one has mentioned it yet.

#27 Edited by Snail (8606 posts) -
#28 Edited by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

worms armageddon, my favorite from back in the day

#29 Edited by audioBusting (1551 posts) -

5 days later, and still no mention of Castle Crashers? You guys are crazy.

Other than that and the PC releases of some of the games you (the OP) mentioned, I got no other recommendations. I think Kane & Lynch has split-screen coop too, but I haven't played those games.

#30 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Put the filter on "couch co-op" for you man, have fun looking through the list :D

Oh, apparantly I was beaten to it.
Oh well!

#31 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

I've spent long long hours with a friend over the span of weeks trying out every co-op game for the PC there is. I believe I've become an expert on the subject.

And yes, as much as it sucks for me to admit as a PC gamer, that's as far as I'm concerned the only downside to the platform. Local co-op support on the PC stinks. Same old same old titles is all you'll get, the ones everybody knows, Jamestown and Trine, Blur and Portal and that Tomb Raider game.

However, LAN co-op on PC is an absolute blast. Try finding a second computer, or split yours using SoftXpand, and you'll have two running machines with an abundance of great games to play.

You got your Call of Dutys, Gears of War, Civ 5, Borderlands 2, SC Conviction, TORCHLIGHT FUCKING 2, Saints Row 3, Baldur's Gate, Spec Ops The Line, Omerta City of Gangsters, Magicka, Kane & Lynch Dog Days, Frozen Synapse and many more.

#32 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1014 posts) -

@beachthunder: Left 4 Dead 2 is on that list, does it REALLY have couch co-op? I mean you previously could get it to work to a degree by messing with files, command prompt and yanking controller out while loading, but is there better way I am not aware off?

#33 Posted by Slaegar (714 posts) -

This is the biggest fault of the PC as far as I'm concerned. And no, I can't name anything at all that hasn't already been mentioned, with the possible exception of Left 4 Dead 2.

Agreed. I don't play a ton of splitscreen games, but it seems silly not to have it these days with controller support being so readily available. My dream would be multiple screens and multiple control methods. My monitor and keyboard and my TV and a 360 pad would be really nice. The performance hit would be pretty big, but it would at least be possible since most video cards have a few inputs on them.

I think Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 require some fiddling with the terminal and .ini files to get working so its not ideal.

#34 Posted by FaPaThY (134 posts) -
@slaegar said:

@believer258 said:

Agreed. I don't play a ton of splitscreen games, but it seems silly not to have it these days with controller support being so readily available. My dream would be multiple screens and multiple control methods. My monitor and keyboard and my TV and a 360 pad would be really nice. The performance hit would be pretty big, but it would at least be possible since most video cards have a few inputs on them.

I think Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 require some fiddling with the terminal and .ini files to get working so its not ideal.

Using Sandboxie, you can set up a lot games to do just that. Multiple screens, or split-screen, each with their own controller inputs. I've only done if for Borderlands 2, but I'm sure it works for most games that at least have LAN support.

#35 Posted by believer258 (11929 posts) -

@fapathy said:
@slaegar said:

@believer258 said:

Using Sandboxie, you can set up a lot games to do just that. Multiple screens, or split-screen, each with their own controller inputs. I've only done if for Borderlands 2, but I'm sure it works for most games that at least have LAN support.

I tried that with Borderlands 2 and it's a terrible pain in the ass to get working. This sort of thing should be native, especially when the far weaker consoles have it.

#36 Posted by pyrodactyl (2061 posts) -

Jamestown is the definitive PC couch coop game. Had a blast going through the entire game in one night with 2 other people on divine difficulty. 1 on 360 controller, 1 on keyboard and 1 on mouse. Amazing multiplayer fun and the best since castle crashers

#37 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Rayman Origin

#38 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Split screen is pretty much never a thing on PC games. If you want that, get a 360. Jamestown is a good option. I played some 360 gamepad vs flightstick coop in that which was... interesting. lol.

#39 Edited by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -
#40 Posted by Pudge (886 posts) -
#41 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

There are some PC games that have same screen co op play but for the vast majority of PC exclusives multiplayer is only done using some form of online or LAN. Most of the exceptions to this rule are games that you can already get on consoles (Castle Crashers, L4D2, etc).

#42 Posted by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

you pretty much have to go way out of your way to set up a scenario where 2 player co op on a PC is even a plausible option to consider .. its one of the main problems i have with PC gaming and the reason im so bummed about being forced to transfer to PC in the wake of the news of the next gen consoles being shit

#43 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Local multiplayer has always been in second place on PC's compared to consoles. You know what's fucking fun? Playing split screen multiplayer in COD on the Wii U. It's pretty cool how well it works.

#44 Edited by Dylstew (20 posts) -

Serious sam 3 is one of the few newgames with splitscreen multiplayer on PC. Trine 2 and Rock of ages also come to mind.edit: I forgot Rayman origins, castle crashers and worms.

You'll find a lot of local co op in free indie games or other indie games, and you can always play co op games on emulators.

But on PC most games are multiplayer over the internet. Just get something like skype , tell your friends to get it too, call them and play the same game with them. It's pretty damn fun to play online with friends too.

Local multiplayer is probably the only thing I like about FPS on consoles. It's fun, even when Iplay games I don't really like at all(Cod, halo, etc)

Also, buy 2 gamepads for your PC, that will help a lot.

#45 Posted by Woofz (1 posts) -

Age of empire 2 | Heroes of might and magic 3 | Bloody trapland | Castle crashers | Dungeons and Dragons Daggerdale | Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light | Jazz jackrabbit 2 | Lego Batman | Magicka | Mari0 (Mario+Portal) | MK4 | Rayman Origins | Trine | Worms

N64/Nintendo cube emulator: Mario Kart, super smash bros.

Snes emulator: Bomberman series.

Buy Joysticks on ebay, download "x360ce" and enjoy.

(not all of these games are split screen)

#46 Edited by Corvak (1086 posts) -

Most of the good couch co-op games on PC...are the same good co-op games that are on consoles.

The only thing with PC is, you've got to run HDMI out to your TV, and have a few controllers. Steam Big Picture has removed most of the remaining hurdles.

#47 Posted by OurSin_360 (891 posts) -

They exist, but the nature of the platform is usually at a desk not on the couch

#48 Posted by lotrsam0711 (11 posts) -

Monaco should work, but you will need multiple controllers you can plug into your PC. If your friends have some wired controllers they could bring, you could try it.

#49 Edited by Marz (5653 posts) -

scorched earth could play it with multiple people back in the days :P guess Worms is is the modern equivalent but i haven't played those.

#50 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11758 posts) -

I totally played some Lego Lord of the Rings with another human locally on my computer box, so I can confirm those games all probably work. Same goes for Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed.

Alternatively, go for strategy games with hot seat modes a-la Heroes of Might and Magic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.