Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is it worth it?

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By raidingkvatch

I know next to nothing about computers. I've been looking at getting Max Payne bundle and Morrowind and maybe Zeno Clash on Steam, but don't know how well they'll run on my pc. Advice?
    Also my friend is selling 8800 GTS 512 for £50 is this a good deal? I don't really play a lot of games on my PC so don't whether it's worth spending money on
    My specs are:

Manufacturer:
    MSI
    Processor:
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory:
    1984MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    370 GB Total
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
    Monitor:
    Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card:
    Realtek HD Audio output
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Logitech 5.1
    Keyboard:
    USB Root Hub
    Mouse:
    USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface:
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
    Motherboard:
    Computer Case:
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By torus

The answer is... maybe.

You will not be able to play newer games satisfactorily on that video card- it is a budget card, and a 6-series at that. The rest of your rig is low-medium range at this point, but that shouldn't be a problem. You really need to upgrade your video card- it is what is mostly holding you back.

As far as your friend's 8800, buy it (as long as you are sure that it works). In the US, a new g92 8800 GTS will retail for ~110 USD, so at ~80 (converted) USD, that's a bargain. That card will run your games splendidly.
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By raidingkvatch

probably not current games, I have a 360  which is where I do most of my gaming, and a PS3 for exclusives (plus BluRay player) just feel like I'm missing out on some great games cuz of my crappy pc, but don't know if I'd use it for games enough to warrant spending 50 quid

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine
    @raidingkvatch: The games that you want to play are older and will probably run fine on your PC.
    Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ghostin

Getting the new card is good advice.  I use that card in one of my older rigs and it still plays most modern games on middling to low settings.  It might not look amazing but it should work.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

I am sure you can get a better card for around that.  I dont know pounds but for $110 us dollars you can get a 9800GTS, so look around for a 9 series card.  Also, your PC should be able to play those games, but not as good as they could be because it seems like you have an integrated graphics chip, not a graphics card per se.  Just push your friend down in price or go off on your own to get a better graphics card.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Are you sure your computer has a PCIe slot?

If you only have an AGP slot you won't be able to use the videocard you friend is selling you.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty

Morrowind and Max Payne will run fine with that. Zeno Clash...won't (minimum requirements state 6600 or better)

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @Diamond: Not in the slightest bit sure, I know very little about computers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.