Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is it wrong to pirate a game to see if your PC is up to it?

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Alexander
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Alexander

I bought GTA IV on day of release on Steam and the game ran at 7 frames a second if my memory serves me correctly. There were some serious issues with the game and after a patch here and there it started running again. The thing is that, still, even with a recommended system spec, I was not getting the performance I expected out of the game. The same goes for a lot of PC games, if a system meets minimum requirements that usually means it's unplayable. If a system meets the recommended, you're probably going to get performance issues while turning a few things down or off altogether.

This isn't the case with all games, some do better than others and Left 4 Dead is a great example of a game with good optimisation. When there is a demo of a PC game you have the chance to see if your rig can handle the game as how you think it should - and following that you make a purchase or not. Without a demo you're going on these recommended system settings that must be made purely to sell the game. You didn't see ads for Crysis with things turned to medium, yet what is advertised is completely at odds with what they recommend out of a PC.

If I could go back, I would totally have pirated myself a copy of GTA IV and then decided not to get it. I was sold something that was broken and then refused a refund by Steam. That shouldn't be legal.

So when a game is released without a demo, like Far Cry 2 for example, do you think it's ok as a consumer to try before you buy; illegally downloading the game and giving it a go?

(some people use the "try before you buy" as a cover for just being theiving bastards, but that's not what I'm talking about)

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By subject2change

Why not? If you actually do buy it or treat it as a demo I see no harm. However that is the downside of PC gaming you need to exceed the minimum specs significantly for a chance at the game, also min specs don't include resolution on them as playing at 1920x1200 is a lot different then playing at 1024x768 with a dated system. Try it yourself, give yourself a demo of the game and then buy and install the DRM infested game.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Diamond

It's not legal, but it might be moral, but it depends.

What if you pirate the game, and it runs fine, but you quickly beat it?  Are you still going to buy it?  What if you didn't think it was a great game?  So then your logic extends beyond 'will it play' to 'will I enjoy it?'.  Fine right?  No reason to support crappy games?  Well then things get a little shaky.  You've already played the game, you're already getting enjoyment from it, maybe that enjoyment went down as you played, and while you enjoyed the first few hours, now you don't.  It's not like you can play any game for a minute and tell how well the whole thing performs, so obviously you're going to play for a few hours at least.

Now what if you extend that to all platforms?  Maybe I won't like Modern Warfare 2, should I pirate a copy and play it for a few weeks and see if IW deserves my money.  That's where things get really crooked IMO, and that's where piracy goes in many people's cases.

My judgment is that's not morally right, simply because you're bound to make further judgments on the game.  If you're morally strong enough to buy the game after you've pirated it even if you realize you don't like it, I'd say you're honest enough to do this.  Otherwise you're just hurting game development.

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
    deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

if i made a game, in a big company, i would want money, but at the same time, i would want as many people as possible to play it i think.

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

It's illegal, but if a person is honestly going to buy the game if it actually does run then I don't see it as a bad thing.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Psynapse

Get a console and you wont have any of these problems.. unless you are getting Too Human or other poorly coded games...

But nah, i don't dissagree with it... Just like i don't disagree with downloading a game and playing it if you have the original copy as to preserve the original CD... If only i could have done that with my Original Starcraft CD... I'm on my 3rd copy of the game... would have saved money if i was able to burn it and play it online whilst having the original copy...

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By delta_ass

Ya know what, if they don't release a demo... I can't blame ya.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By keyhunter

There's no law against it, so no.
    Also, people don't play pirated games.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Nomin

Yes

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By subject2change
    Psynapse said:
    "Get a console and you wont have any of these problems.. unless you are getting Too Human or other poorly coded games...But nah, i don't dissagree with it... Just like i don't disagree with downloading a game and playing it if you have the original copy as to preserve the original CD... If only i could have done that with my Original Starcraft CD... I'm on my 3rd copy of the game... would have saved money if i was able to burn it and play it online whilst having the original copy..."
    Couldn't you just use a No-CD exe? As well as Battle.net is now putting your keys in their system so you can have a digital copy like they do with WoW.
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Gmanall

It makes you a bad person... very bad.

C1t1z3nMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By C1t1z3nMac

It's definitely illegal, but I suppose it might be all right if you have no other way to test the game whatsoever (e.g. demos and such). Just as long as you don't just say to yourself you'll "test" the first five chapters or something and before you know it, you've played through the game without having bought it. That's a bit more reprehensible in my book.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By roofy

poll totally depends on morals.
    i find no problem with downloading and playing games before i buy them.
    most people that download also dont have the intentions of buying the game in the first place though.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Kazona

If you are seriously going to buy the game if it runs fine, then I don't see the harm in it. However if you play half the game and then decide not to purchase it because you don't like it, then that's just being a douche. But to just check out a quick level or two to make sure everything runs ok, and then buy it, I see no harm in that. Problem is that almost no one actually stays true to their word and they just end up playing the pirated copy all the way through and never pay for it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60

Nah, I don't think it's wrong to pirate a game that doesn't have a demo to see if you can run it as long as you buy it right after.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I totally agree. For example I recently bought Dead Space for PC. I played the demo on PS3 and thought it was awesome, but I really cannot stand how terrible the mouse/keyboard control is. Had I known this going in I would have not bought it for PC.

Publishers need to quit bitching or release a demo.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gruff182

If there isn't a demo and your intentions to buy are genuine, then why not.

Though I expect alot of people, would just say "Yay, it works!" Then just play it anyway. Then think, why buy it now?!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#19  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Legally yes, morally no.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHBK

No but if you got it running, whats gonna make you stop playing.  Of course this is what demos are for but yeah, PC game makers need to do a better job of releasing demos or tech demos to let you know if your machine can run it, kind of like what Valve did when Half Life 2 came out, included a spec measuring tool.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BigBoss1911

Nope,but its just gotta be to make sure you can run it.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper

If you treated it as a demo and played the first level and then made the decision: "Does this game run well on my comp and is it any good. Yes it does and it's really fun I think I'll go buy a retail copy for $50" or "Does this game run well on my comp and is it any good. Yes it does and it's really fun I think I'll finish it and not pay $50".

No one's going to do the first choice. I'd say nearly everyone would give in. It's like "Aah, spent a week torrenting this whole game to only play it for half an hour, now I gotta go to the shop and spend like $60? I can't be assed."

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MeierTheRed

When everything said and done, at the end of the day, piracy will always be piracy no matter how you twist and turn it. A judge wont go soft on you no matter what reason you might give to justify it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By StarFoxA

How about you just go to the System Requirements Lab?

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By xymox
    Alexander said:
    I bought GTA IV on day of release on Steam and the game ran at 7 frames a second if ... [more]

I think you'd have every damn right to not buy the pig in the sack. But, I don't think you should have to be forced to break the law in order to look in the sack. THAT should be illegal, IMO.

PC games should not be released without a shareware/demo. Even if it's just a stripped down first level. Especially with the variety of PC hardware available. The back-of-the-box requirements have always been lacking as you point out. I have ALWAYS had performance issues if and when I meet the minimum. Even when turning stuff down to the lowest settings. That's not cool. Minimum should be "this is the stuff you need to be able to play the game at a playable framerate" and not "this will launch the game". 
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By metal_mills

No I don't think so and especially considering a lot of games lock to an account or computer plus many games don't release demo's now so if it does run crappy you can't return it. As long as you do buy it rather than keep the pirated copy it's fine.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By guiseppe

Nope, I don't think it's "wrong" if you were to download it without the intent of buying it either. I would say it's unsupportive to the buisness, but not wrong.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#28  Edited By Forcen
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    Kazona said:
    If you are seriously going to buy the game if it runs fine, then I don't see the harm in ... [more]
    I did this with Crysis. Pirated it and played the first 20 minutes then went out and bought it. Little did I know that the ice level would demolish my PC. I was pissed and then I sold the game... I never did finish it... :(
    gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gormers

Well it depends on if your the guy that "forgets" to buy it afterwards. Also, it is technically and legally wrong, but in my opinion it isnt^^, even though I rarely do it myself. When in doubt, I use www.canyourunit.com

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alexander
    @Xymox: That's so odd I had suggested the exact same thing on this other board I post at. The thing is that until something like that is implemented I can't do much about it, all the same it's a good idea and clearly great minds think alike :P
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By maxszy

This is a difficult subject. On one hand, its not good because one should always support the developers who (most of the time) put so much effort into making a game. On the other hand, this is the whole problem with PC gaming and requirements.

I used to be a huge PC gamer, though I stopped those ways as the technology started to sky rocketed and it just wasn't feasible for the pocketbook anymore. PC gaming is really expensive, and you then have to deal with requirements on top of it. So looking at it from that sense, yeah alright Pirate a game and give it a shot. The problem then is, once you have it will you really go out and buy it? You say you will now, but the liklihood once its actually installed and running on the machine is that you wont. Therefore in the end, it probably isn't a good idea to do it.

Though that all said, I still voted yes. Probably because I am guilty of it myself so it would be too hypocritical of me to vote no.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Alexander
    @Xymox: for some reason the post vanished the first time I did it so I'll try again!

That's odd I had suggested the exact same thing on this other board I post at. The thing is that until something like that is implemented I can't do much about it, all the same it's a good idea and clearly great minds think alike :P
    Avatar image for altered_confusion
    Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

Of course there's the legal side of it, but I really think that there is a good number of those illegal downloads that are used to test out a game or a product that end up being turned into an actual purchase because that person knows exactly what they are getting. Doing this really does suck for those games and applications out there that suck balls and as a result people don't get suckered into buying their POS ;)

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By xymox
    @Alexander:
    That's pretty cool. "A demo is a legal obligation".
    Well, we could only hope that some day that will be the case :>

Kinesin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kinesin

I think the correct response here is to not play the game, like at all.  Even if it looks really good and you just want to try it.  Diamond's got it right on this.  But even if you are a morally excellent individual, pirating is not a good idea.  Companies should be "punished" for not making games that either have demos or don't run except on $$$ PC's, in my opinion both.  The problem is that developers don't know why you didn't buy the game, and when the see huge torrent numbers they probably assume the worst, which is that PC gamers are ethically corrupt thieves (and it's probably fair to assume that most of them are, but I hope not).  Developers likely do get lazy when it comes to pc games (especially ports) because they figure people will just pirate them anyway so why bother.  They should (and deserve) to be assured that the pc gaming market is healthy enough to warrent such effort.  I think the only way to clearly send this message is if torrent numbers go down.  I don't believe that old "every pirated copy is a lost sale" arguement, but if I were a developer seeing low sales and high torrents on my baby, I would have trouble not assuming that ethically corrupt thieves are who I'm making games for (and should make games for someone else).

Basically, by torrenting the game (regardless of your intentions), you probably are hurting the pc gamer market.  Please don't do that.  Send a clear signal that a game without a demo will not be tollerated, down buy it, don't torrent it.  Obviously to make the message crystal clear one should probably download available demos and then buy pc games with pleasing demos.

toolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toolus

If there isn't a good demo then I think its ok to download a game in order to see if it will run on your PC.  I also thinks its ok to play a little bit of the game to see if you actually enjoy the game. 

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Godlovesugly

I think people who make PC games should release a little downloadable tool which tests to see if your computer can run it
    I'm not 100% sure that the "Can You Run It" website is accurate enough

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forcen said:
    Use this website instead:http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest
    It's too innacurate
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

One can usually get a demo of pc games *nearly every pc game has a demo* which will let you find this out...

MrCynical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By MrCynical

Game companies only have themselves to blame for this: if they released demo versions, or offered returns policies on games that didn't work on the buyer's hardware, then there would be no motivation for people to pirate in these situations.

jaklap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jaklap

I was tired of losing money on games I didn't like, and since PC like, never gets demos, I have pirated games to see if I liked them. If I do, I buy them. If I don't, I delete them. No harm done, IMPO.

ActiveSparkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ActiveSparkles

first post!

no, I wouldnt say so, if you plan on buying it.
    I suppose you could argue that it only makes the problem larger, the more people doing it etc, but I stand by no.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pazy

I think it all depends on how much will you have. If you can pirate it, test it for a bit and then go and actually buy it then I dont really see a problem with it. Of course legally its still completely illegal but moraly I dont have a problem with it. The problem comes when you keep playing a game regardless with no intention of buying it.

There are other methods of finding out if a game will run, like "canyourunit.com" (I think), but I doubt that they are any where near as accurate as running the game for real.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jimbo

Yes, because everybody that says "I'm just testing it!" or "I just wanna see if it's any good!", is lying through their teeth.  In hypothetical fairyland where the proposed scenario exists, it might be ok - in the real world, somebody with a working pirate copy doesn't then grow a conscience and buy a legit copy to make up for it.  If the publisher intended for you to have access to a demo they would provide one - I don't get to sit through half a movie before deciding whether to pay for the ticket, just because I think I should be able to.

If you have reason to believe it won't work on your PC then don't buy it.

If you buy it and it blatantly doesn't work as advertised then you are entitled to a refund - presumably consumers have statutory rights in the US?  If a store (online or off) does fuck you over by misrepresenting a product and then flat out refuses you a refund, don't go back to that store a week later and buy something else. 

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Funzzo

When I pirate a game, I test it then I BUY IT!!!!!  Support PC GAMES BUY THEM IF THEY ARE GOOD.  And remember there is always someone watching you so be safe and don't let Warner Bros. get ya.

ingodwetrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ingodwetrust

I see no issue with it, but i might be tempting to not buy the game after.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xplodedd

its okay, because your not gonna play the full game righht?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iam3green

i would say yes it is wrong. i think that developers should come out with more demos for a game. i don't pirate because my internet is really slow so it will take all day to download something. i usually look at system requirement lab to see if my computer is good at it. i think that developers should make sure their game is well optimized before they release it. i have crysis then sometime this year they had crysis wars free weekend. i noticed that crysis warhead was a lot better then crysis. it shows that games should be more optimized then not at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.