Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

is my external hard drive dead?

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By imayellowfellow

one day my external hard drive just stopped showing up in my my computer page, it still shows up in the device manager page, but a lot of functions like roll back driver, update driver, that kind of stuff are greyed out, when i right click the my computer icon and go to manage, the hard drive shows up (sometimes) but it doesnt initialize, the hard drive makes sounds of winding up 3 times, and then it goes silent.  this is all the diag i get from when i use it on my windows machine (its formatted in ntfs), when i plug it into a mac, it simply says that the drive cannot be read. please help! its a Fantom Greendrive 1TB, it has a 2 year warranty, and i bought it back in 2009.     

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

I'm not certain if its dead, but if it is and you have valuable memory which you might not be able to retrieve when turning it in for the warranty, you can pry it open and save your HDD memory. Of course, this is only the most desperate measures when you're certain its dead, when the warranty is over and you've got some stuff you'd like to retrieve from that HDD.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It sounds dead to me. When you hear weird sounds like clicking and stuff, it means it's about to die.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

The clicking is a sign of inevitable death. If you're getting anything at all from it, salvage everything you want to keep and don't put anything new on it. Just realistically speaking, don't ever expect an external HD to last more than 2 years. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.