Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is my mobos chassis fan connector fucked?

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Black_Raven

Well today I got some new RAM in the mail and without too much thought (it's just RAM after all) I went in and installed it. My PC is currently overclocked but my RAM is running at default speed/voltages so I didn't see the need to load the setup default before installing the new memory, what I didn't know at the time was the new RAM I got was the latest revision and ran at 2.1v at 1066mhz as a posed to 2.2v like the older revision of this brand of RAM I have installed. When I try and boot up the PC with the new RAM installed it just wouldn't boot. After a few restarts I decided I'd just use the clear RTC jumper and reset the bios that way, while changing the jumper back I stupidly put it over the wrong pins which happened to be for the chassis fan. As you would expect, when I turned on the PC and tried to power it up there was a loud popping sound and the smell of burning. 

It's all up hill from there though, I realised why my comp wasn't booting, set the voltages in the BOIS right so all 4 gigs of RAM would work and everything is working fine now. Is my motherboards chassis fan connector fucked though? I don't have any fans connected to it so I can't tell. Either way I'm just glade I didn't kill my motherboard.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

if it released the magic smoke, probably but you  never know :)

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Motherboards are surprisingly resilient, there's no way to tell until you connect a fan to it. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah, just test it with another fan. If it's dead, you can always either use another header, if you have one to spare, or at worst you could buy a fan controller for your whole system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.