Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is the $60 price point for the PC really working?

• 54 results
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

So I go over to Steam and check out the new games that are coming out. The one thing that caught my eye was that the newly released games are still coming out at $50. The only games that have been released at $60 are Activision and Ubisoft owned. A lot of people on these forums mentioned that once they see companies start charging more for games then they'll follow suit. Well, it sure doesn't seem like that. A few games to mention that are still $50 is Civilization V,  Mafia II, Kane and Lynch 2, Fallout New Vega, and Medal of Honor. I would definitely think EA would jump onto the band wagon, but I guess not. So what do you guys think? Are all these companies smart about sticking to the $50 price point or am I speaking too soon?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's not working, I simply wait until they are cheaper a bit for steam sales then I buy it. No one unless they really want the game will support it. Those games has dropped in price after nearly half a year, so it's not a good strategy, rather it's a deterrent.  

Usually consoles pays that price because they have to pay certain fees to even sell the game on consoles. Pc games are not subjected to the same tax, therefore shouldn't cost $60.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ch13696
    @HitmanAgent47: Yeah, that's true. I was looking through a Target sale, deciding between Command & Conquer 4 and Left 4 Dead 2. Knowing that this Christmas, Steam will do a sale on Left 4 Dead 2, I chose Command & Conquer 4. I have to wonder also, what about Starcraft II? Are we ever going to see some sort of sale on that digitally? Or even in the retail stores?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

@ch13696 said:
    " @HitmanAgent47: I have to wonder also, what about Starcraft II? Are we ever going to see some sort of sale on that digitally? Or even in the retail stores? "
    I doubt it. It will be like Call of Duty 4 and be the same price for 2 years at least. It's a shame because I'm not going to spend £40 on a PC game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't buy any steam game at full price, always wait for the sale.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @zudthespud said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " @HitmanAgent47: I have to wonder also, what about Starcraft II? Are we ever going to see some sort of sale on that digitally? Or even in the retail stores? "
    I doubt it. It will be like Call of Duty 4 and be the same price for 2 years at least. It's a shame because I'm not going to spend £40 on a PC game. "

Also that is totally correct, the bobby kotick connection. He wants to makea  profit, these two games are made from the same company.

@ch13696: since activation owns blizzard and their strategy is to gain profit, there will be no sale for a while. I don't think there will be a sale like until a year later, they will get away with it. 

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JP_Russell

Medal of Honor is $60, not $50.  I doubt that's going to work out too well for it, though.  I don't think it's getting enough buzz to justify that pricetag on the PC even from a business standpoint.  The BF3 beta access hasn't even put the preorder for MoH in the top sellers list on Steam.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Only blockbuster releases by the mega corps can get away with $60.  Its dirty as hell but they knew that the games will sell regardless and consumers will just take it.  I think that's its just pure extra profit for them but not a lot of games can get away with a $60 price point.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Evilmetal

I don't understand the $60 price point for PC. 

These companies raise the price so high, yet they trim game content and then release it as a paid download. In my opinion if there ever was a time to bootleg games, I think now is a great time.

The quality of the game goes down, while they are seeking higher prices.

Additionally are these games being made in the USA? Their development is being spread around the globe to reduce costs, while they return here to the United States to sell the product at a higher price. Ridiculous. 

Again,  in my opinion if there ever was a time to bootleg games, I think now is a great time.  It is not worth to support certain companies; and if the excuse is that they'll stop making games, good. As time progresses developers dumb down the games anyway. We always say the first release is the best, while the follow ups suck. So the developer can keep the crappy stuff to itself.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By herocide
    @Evilmetal: That kind of thinking is used as an example by publishers as an excuse to bitch and moan about piracy and boost their title prices even more in one way or another. It doesn't answer the question in any way and just makes it a bigger issue for those willing to actually pay for the content they use. If you don't want to support the company, don't play the game at all, especially if you think the games are terrible to begin with.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Semition

I have no problem paying $60.

A few years ago, due to the crappy conversion rate of the Canadian dollar, games were like $70 or $80. I remember buying AoE3 for $70 when it came out. So to me, games are actually cheaper now than ever.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops

There are not many PC games that hold their price as much as console games do, on average.

I'm usually OK when a new PC game comes out that I know will not sell hugely because the price will drop pretty rapidly, most of the time. It's only the BIG name games like Call of Duty or StarCraft 2 that I know will hold the maximum price for a much longer time.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dragonzord

It hasn't been put to the test. I'd like to see the sales for AC2 and see how much Ubi tries to blame pirates for it. The only two real tests of it have been Call of Duty and Starcraft, now? Those are two HUGE games that can get away with the price(which Blizzard has done before). Wait for Rage to come out, wait for Guild Wars 2, Dead Space 2, and Bulletstorm. 60 dollar games that don't have that kind of pull, then we'll see how well it's working. 

Also EA has hardcore jumped on the wagon for this. Every single EA PC game is 60 dollars now, they really think their games are that 'big' when truthfully Battlefield is the only franchise they have on PC t hat could get away with that.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Binman88

The higher price point hasn't really affected retail sales in the UK. I live in Ireland and order all my games online from places like Amazon and Game, and rarely pay more than £24.99 for a new PC game (just under 40 bucks). Steam on the other hand is charging €59.99 in some cases for the exact same games, which equates to almost 80 bucks, which is absolute nonsense.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @zudthespud said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    I doubt it. It will be like Call of Duty 4 and be the same price for 2 years at least. It's a shame because I'm not going to spend £40 on a PC game. "

Also that is totally correct, the bobby kotick connection. He wants to makea  profit, these two games are made from the same company.

@ch13696: since activation owns blizzard and their strategy is to gain profit, there will be no sale for a while. I don't think there will be a sale like until a year later, they will get away with it.   "  
    Blizzard ALWAYS priced their games like that. Diablo II still costs 20 bucks. Merging with Activision didn't change a damn thing.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @zudthespud said:
    " @ch13696 said:

@ch13696: since activation owns blizzard and their strategy is to gain profit, there will be no sale for a while. I don't think there will be a sale like until a year later, they will get away with it.   "  
    Blizzard ALWAYS priced their games like that. Diablo II still costs 20 bucks. Merging with Activision didn't change a damn thing. "
    This times a fucking thousand. I wish people did 20 minutes of research before throwing around "LOL ACTIVISION."

Vivendi is still the majority owner anyway.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bhhawks78

Depends on the company just like the 50$ price point.

Starcraft 2 could have launched for 85$ and still sold a million copies day one.  Modern Warfare 2 could have launched for 90$ on pc and consoles and sold almost as many copies then reduced to 60$ 2-3 months later.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 could have launched for 90$ on pc and consoles and sold almost as many copies then reduced to 60$ 2-3 months later. "
    I highly doubt this.
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rehehelly
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @bhhawks78 said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 could have launched for 90$ on pc and consoles and sold almost as many copies then reduced to 60$ 2-3 months later. "
    I highly doubt this. "
    Me too.

Anyway, it depends on the game. I paid my £40 for Starcraft 2 and i'm fine with that. I wouldn't however pay £40 for RUSE (I just wouldn't buy it anyway but it's a example). Blizzard can have all my monies, everything else needs to be cheaper.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @CaptainObvious: your using an old game to make your point? Who cares what they priced it at. I'm talking about recent games.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Animasta
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @zudthespud said:
    " @ch13696 said:

activision sold Transformers for PC for 40, didn't they?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Laketown: I didn't even know there was a transformer game. Maybe i'm talking about important games that's going to sell alot like starcraft 2 or call of duty modern warfare 2 that ppl cares about. I don't know what activision is selling recently though, maybe my theory is not entirely accurate for every game. However for games that are highly anticipated, not like transformers it's more expensive. Then again maybe it's all the drm, battlenet, steam implementation that is driving up the price. I'm not really sure tbh, it's a topic I have to research more. 

Well here are the only articles I can find on the topic. Not really much research data, I also paid $60 for splinter cell conviction on pc. I don't know tbh, what are they trying to do.

http://www.grandtheftpc.com/2010/04/why-are-pc-gamers-paying-60-now.html 
    http://polaritygamers.com/pc/are-you-willing-to-pay-60-dollars-for-a-pc-game/     
    http://www.destructoid.com/modern-warfare-2-gets-10-price-hike-on-pc-152049.phtml    
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

If you shop around online, and/or pre-order a bit in advance, how much would you typically be paying for a new PC game in the US?  I keep hearing $50 (or $60 for some games), but is that what you actually have to pay or is it just the RRP?

I ask because if that's what it really costs then you seem to be getting screwed on PC games.  I rarely have to pay more than £25 ($40) for brand new PC games delivered to my door, and 17.5% of that is tax.  Even SC2 worked out at < $50 inc. tax and delivery.  What gives, America?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By CL60

No. That extra $10 is pointless. It is only there on consoles because they have to pay Microsoft/Sony. On PC they have to do neither of those things.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Demyx

Its not really working, I mean on steam there have been quite a few sales, assassins creed 2 has been 40 bucks for a while.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Cirdain

nope

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DG991

I pre ordered SC2 so long ago that I only paid $40 for it + $5 shipping.  
    I would of bought it for $60 though probably. 
     What I won't pay $60 for? Generic FPS games... 
    TF2 is the best multiplayer experience as an FPS and I just bought the orangebox originally for Portal. So I always kind of think I got TF2 for free... 
     And I am the sort of person who likes to buy a game and get a shit ton of re-playability. I bought counter strike: source I think 5 years ago and I played 1200+ hours of that game (according to steam) and I know I played more because steam community didn't start counting times until a while after I began playing it.  
    That is probably the biggest reason why I was pissed about l4d2... I didn't feel like I got enough time out of l4d1.  

so... I will pay $60 if I feel the game is worth it I guess, so yes it is working. But the thing is... the games I've gotten the most play time for are mostly under $30 or I "accidentally" bought them like tf2.  

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By captain_clayman

i hope it stays at 50 dollars, stupid ass activision and ubisoft...

Bowlisimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bowlisimo

It's not working on me, that's all I know. Where is the incentive to pay 60 dollars (or any full price) for a PC game, other than instant gratification (Starcraft 2) and/or supporting a developer you think deserves it? 

Post release patches say, "Your game will probably have a higher chance of being stable or actually working if you buy me later!"
    Downloadable content says, "There will be more game for you to play immediately if you don't buy at release, and it might even be bundled!"
    Digital distributor sales say, "Just chill for a few months to a year, this shit could possibly be half off or more!"
    Draconian DRM says, "Thanks for your 60 dollars, now you can only play the way we want you to play...and we're watching you..."
    Did I forget anything?

These days it's uncommon that a PC game comes along and I HAVE TO HAVE IT. For all the rest of those "good, but meh, I can wait" games, they just don't make a good enough case for buying on day one.  : /

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bobdaman18

From my (very limted) knowledge of economics it doesn't matter what fees they have to pay to make their game, its all about what price point will make them the most money.  If MW2 cost $1 or $1000 or $1000000 they'd still be selling it at the same price point.  Prices have to go up at some point due to inflation so i guess i understand the move to the $60 price. 

That said, i still rarely buy games at full retail price.  I usually wait for a sale or something, but if i really want a game bad the difference between $50 and $60 makes little difference to me.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Jimbo said:
    "If you shop around online, and/or pre-order a bit in advance, how much would you typically be paying for a new PC game in the US?  I keep hearing $50 (or $60 for some games), but is that what you actually have to pay or is it just the RRP?  I ask because if that's what it really costs then you seem to be getting screwed on PC games.  I rarely have to pay more than £25 ($40) for brand new PC games delivered to my door, and 17.5% of that is tax.  Even SC2 worked out at < $50 inc. tax and delivery.  What gives, America? "

My friend in the UK has told me before that people in the UK also tend to have lower incomes, so it's kind of a thing of inflation where certain things cost less there in general. 
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @CL60 said:

" No. That extra $10 is pointless. It is only there on consoles because they have to pay Microsoft/Sony. On PC they have to do neither of those things. "

I find it strange to hear on a regular basis how superior the PC version of the game is supposed to be, and how much awesome additional content there will be, but then hear the same people say the PC version should be cheaper.

If it is true that a PC version is superior shouldn't it cost more regardless of dev costs or how the profits are divided?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @ProfessorEss: if your talking about superior as in graphics, that's because we don't run it with static hardware. If your talking about extra content, what extra content? Extra graphics settings? They don't really optimize the port, they just throw it at your pc and hope for the best without actually taking any effort these days. The pc version is only superior to those with a very powerful rig and no it shouldn't cost more because we have to provide the hardware, not them. It's true all console developers have to pay a tax to put it on a console, so it doesn't make sense why we have to pay a tax for something that is non existent on the pc since pc games has no extra tax to put it on the platform. That's why games are usually $50.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @JP_Russell:  The average income of a 'normal' 'working class' person in the UK is around  £12,000 - 18,000 a year [ $19,000 - 28,000 ], I don't know how that compares to the US.  Stuff in the UK is definately cheaper to most of Europe, but is actually mostly more expensive than the US. The RRP seems to mean a lot less over here, as the RRP for something like Modern Warfare 2 is £59.99 but you didn't see a single store selling it at that price, it was common to see it at £40 at launch due to competition. This means you can get some great deals, but you could end up paying way more than the US if there aren't any going on.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JP_Russell
    @ProfessorEss said:
    "@CL60 said:

" No. That extra $10 is pointless. It is only there on consoles because they have to pay Microsoft/Sony. On PC they have to do neither of those things. "

I find it strange to hear on a regular basis how superior the PC version of the game is supposed to be, and how much awesome additional content there will be, but then hear the same people say the PC version should be cheaper. If it is true that a PC version is superior shouldn't it cost more regardless of dev costs or how the profits are divided? "

The PC versions of games are touted as superior because of the ways in which they take advantage of the superior machine that is the PC, which is itself more expensive.

Anyway, a lot of PC gamers (myself included) would argue that $60 is too much for just about any game, so for one who would use that logic, console games would just be that much more overpriced.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By Cirdain

No 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By meteora

No, its probably not really working. A lot of people fall for steam sales because far too often they pop up too frequently and make our previous sales look stupid for not waiting it out. Only very large blockbluster AAA titles sell like pancakes, or those who pay the regular $60 for games on consoles.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I think it's working, but I don't think people like it. If people are going to buy a game for 10$, I would think that they would buy it for 10$ more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60 bucks for any video game is to much gamers are getting ripped off .I'll never pay that much for  a video game ever its a matter of principal and plus there's no reason to charge 60 bucks for a PC game that is,there is no publisher fee there just being greedy fucks so,fuck em.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By mikemcn

I think Ive only bought MW2 for $60

Was BC2 60? I cant remember.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By warxsnake

Don't have a problem with it

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Liam_mk

The only game it worked for is Starcraft 2 and they could have sold that for 7 sacrificed virgins and I would still have gotten it.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By endless_void
    @HitmanAgent47: Activision DOES NOT OWN BLIZZARD!!!!! They are 2 separate entities that formed one company. Neither of them have control of the other. Hence the name ''ActivisionBlizzard''.
    theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By theduke

i don't think $60 will become a large trend mainly because of Steam, Impulse D2D and every other DD services that constantly have sales

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chandu83

I am too cheap, so I would say its not working. At the moment, apart from Crysis 2, Rage, Diablo 3, I am not going to pay full price for any other game.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mighty

If it's a quality game like StarCraft 2, then I'm all for it.
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MajorToms

It's bullshit, but it's Activision and Ubisoft that are mostly pulling the $60 price tag. I feel a lot of PC gamers are better educated than console gamers, and they realize the reasons why console games cost so much. Not a lot of people put up with the price that tag, which surprises me they [publishers] continue to leave it at such a price. Activision is all about making money and Ubisoft is too. Ubisoft was supposedly only letting people review the first assassin's creed on console if they promised not to go below a 70% rating in the review, because that would put a damper on the sales of their self induced over hyped game. I don't know if that's true or not. I just remember the rumor.

However, there is a lot of fees that are applied to console games that shouldn't be applied to PC games when coming up with a price, especially when they are digitally distributed. One is the cost of packaging and discs, and carbon offset for creating said disc. shipping fees. Platform fees: Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo all make money off a game's sale (Steam has a platform fee, but I don't know how much it is in contrast to these companies). That's a lot of stuff that shouldn't applied to the price total on a PC game, yet we're seeing games come out at prices nearing that of console games. Even $50 is a bit ridiculous when you consider all the stuff that shouldn't be applied. That's why I generally stay away from brand new games.

Now, I've paid for very few games prior to or at the release day since Steams inception. One being Fallout 3, and another recently was the Sam & Max: Devil's Toybox. Fallout had me hyped, so I jumped on the bandwagon and bought it on release day.

I pre-ordered the Sam & Max season because it was only $30ish and I love the series, so I wasn't going into it blindly, nor investing a lot of money in it. It wasn't until about 3 weeks later that they announced the pre-order bonus of sam & Max in the TF2 universe..  I didn't buy it for those items, but it was an awesome addition to one of my favorite PC games. I still don't own L4D2 and that had a pre-order bonus, though I kinda wish I had it. I always miss it when it goes on sale.

edins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By edins

If a game that is made by a big company out for money price it at $60 i just pirate it because chances are its going to be casualized anyway
    Edit: If its an indie company i always buy it

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ravensword

I dont get why PC gamers feel entitled to a 50 dollar pricepoint. Maybe they think they deserve to get the game looking better AND be cheaper on their platform?
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Raven_Sword: PC games are designed and made on a PC, therefore (I would think) it takes less work then a console game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.