Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is there a bottle neck here? and if so where?

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Monopolized

I recently just put a pc together and I honestly don't know a whole lot about it, and by me putting a computer together I mean, I bought the parts and a friend did it for me -_- I just want to know if I have any bottle necks anywhere and what I should upgrade, right now I have about 600.00 to spent.

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX645WFK42GM - OEM

RAM - Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model ...

MOBO - ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express

not sure what else to list, but suggestions would be appreciated

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Doesn't look like it should be having any issues. What's your power supply like? It seems like people go cheap on that sometimes. Also, is it well-cooled?

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Devildoll

well if you bought it just recently, its not that optimal to replace parts for $600 right after.

would have been better to have crammed in those extra $600 into the initial build.

its a pretty well rounded system however.

kind of midrange cpu, and a fitting graphics card.

on the cpu side, only real alternatives for improvements are another 4core with more cache, or a 6 core, none of those are needed as long as you are running that 6870 though.

on the graphics side, you have much more choice, being able to pick literally all relevant graphics cards currently on the market.

as said, the build is pretty balanced as it is. what you should spend your money on to get more gaming horsepower, depends on what expectations you have etc.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger

Are you having issues that make you want to upgrade?

Your system seems fairly well balanced, the cpu would be the first upgrade http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103935

I don't think right now is a very good time to upgrade an AMD build, wait and see what their next generation of processors are like as they are in a fairly big hole right now compared to Intel on the PC front.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By VACkillers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.