Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is there a PC equivalent for "Beacons" like Xbox Live has?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I've been wanting a good way to start a spontaneous gaming session within a community on the PC, but it can be a pain in the ass. Is there some way to throw out a "beacon" for people to see and join on me somehow? Maybe through steam groups or something? Steam groups seem decent for pre-planned gaming but if you want to get a group of folks together in the moment, I can't really see anyway to accomplish that. Especially when *cough* no one's ever in chat.

Any suggestions?

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well you can send out a Steam group event.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Get people to sign up to a mailing list and you just send out a mass email.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Well you can send out a Steam group event.

But that sort of thing requires being a certain "rank" within the group, doesn't it?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

No one is ever on chat? From what I gather a lot of people just leave Steam online while using their computer, myself included. I don't see how there would be less people on Steam than on Xbox Live. That makes no sense. You have weird friends!

Anyway, creating a thread on a site like Giant Bomb can be a pretty quick way to do that. Worth a shot.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There's actually a "Looking to Play" setting on Steam under the status selection bar thing now. Try it out!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By EXTomar

I never got beacons to be effective in XBox Live where instead it was more effective just to IM people. And to be honest I ignored beacons and automated events too but I don't ignore individual messages.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.