Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

is this a good computer?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072
    • Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E2200, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive, 320GB hard drive, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 and Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1

i guess my big question is would this thing even be able to run Crysis?
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

You need a real GPU.

EDIT:

And "even be able to run Crysis?" is probably not the best question to ask, as Crysis is probably the most high end game on the market today. I'm pretty sure your machine wont run Crysis without a real GPU, anyway.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jackel2072

well im if any one has some recommendation that be great!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    No , you can not run  Crysis
    your CPU and Ram and HDD are good enough whereas your  VGA (Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 ) is not suitable at all

Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (Also known as the GMA 3100) is an onboard graphics accelerator that comes standard with most "home based" computers.

They're decent enough as to were someone just checking their email, playing pogo, or running solitaire wouldn't notice the difference.

However, they are getting better and better with the times, and the 3100 offers quite a range of features that most name brand cards offer.

They offer pixle and light shaders (Only about half as good as a GeForce FX, or Sapphire Radeon)

They offer low power consumption, and low building cost to lower the overall price of the PC or notebook.

They offer integrated system memory (With a specific allowance of your computers system ram) The GMA 3100 offers up to 256MB of shared memory.

There's a 1.6Gp/s transfer rate (most newer cards can push up to 3.0gp/s)

400 Mhz Front Side Bus (GF FX or SR is closer to 900)

A single core 600Mhz system spread (Again, newer cards are closer to 1.5ghz)

Over all, it's a decent card for playing most games like WoW or Guild Wars. It will run Photoshop, CSI, Paintshop Pro, pretty much any image editing software you can think of. A normal gamer who just wants to play Half Life, or World of Warcraft, will not be able to tell the difference between the GMA 3100 and the GeForce FX 5500 series.

If you want to save yourself upwards to 300 dollars or more, I suggest keeping the GMA 3100

However, if you want to play high end ram sucking games like Crysis you'd better think about a decent VGA immediately
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90

as for VGA ,I'd recommend  you nvidia Geforce 8 series ( 8800 GTS for example )

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jackel2072 said:
    "well im if any one has some recommendation that be great!"

It depends both on what your willing to spend and what your motherboard supports. Do you know if you have a PCI express slot?
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jackel2072

hmm ok. so graphics card aside how does the processor hold up today in the gaming world?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine I'm sure, but the GPU is essential. There are exceptions, namely GTA IV, which was designed with Xbox architecture in mind. They don't have a GPU, so most of the work in GTA IV goes to the processor, in which case yours might not hold up. But GTA IV is the only game I know of that is so shittily designed that is also of any worth.

Seriousely, though, without a GPU I doubt you'll be able to get much gaming done.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jackel2072

ok this is whats available inside 2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16. also in this other computer i have a old  256 DDR  radeon 9800 xt. but tell you what this is what im looking at.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmprd103500050006&skuId=9999103400050006&type=product&childSku=8990372&count=1

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Jackel2072 said:
    "hmm ok. so graphics card aside how does the processor hold up today in the gaming world?"
      it is certainly not the best out there , though you can easily run Crysis on low quality with it providing you have a decent  VGA  . 
    remember that  GPU is much more important than CPU .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok. Their gaming machines are overpriced. If you get that, you should be able to just buy the card on newegg. How much more are you willing to spend?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jackel2072

yeah i know i need a better GPU i just wanted to see if i could get away with breaking back into PC gaming with this thing. i guess in the long run i will save my cash for a all around gaming rig. as for now i guess im just going to take what is being offered to me. see the computer i have now is pretty old and hard drive is clicking which goes with out saying is no good! but thank you sir you have been helpful unless you know where i can get 600 dollar machine that will run today's games.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Kazona

I don't know what your budget is exactly, but if you insist on going for 2 cores then I suggest a Intel Core 2 Duo E7300. There are better processors but judging from the one you picked I doubt that's within your budget. As for a graphics card I suggest either a ATI Radeon HD 4870 or a Geforce GTX 260 Core 192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming you live in the US (Don't know what prices are like anywhere else), you can get a decent card for fairly cheap. If you can fit it into the case, this might do. :P

The processor is fine. It's right on the mark with the recommended specs. Get a better GPU, and you should be able to run games for a few years at least, with only minor upgrades after that to keep you going. No need to spend a fortune. It's a lot cheaper buying a new motherboard and processor than buying a whole new computer.

EDIT:
    I'll go a head and also give my obligatory recommendation that you build your own machine. Always the best way to go.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jackel2072

ok im on newegg now how about this thing?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhm, I can't tell you anything about AMD processors, you'll have to get a second opinion on that. Other than that, it looks pretty solid. ATI isn't getting much love right now, but the card seems good.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jackel2072

once again thank you all for the help. im just going to go with the dell cuz really i need a new computer and can't live with a clicking HDD. i will take you're recommendation bellum and get a new card some day. and maybe if i get this new job im aiming for i will just go and build a machine my self =). im not too computer illiterate i have just been out of the loop for a while. so once again thanks too all! happy holidays!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You, too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.