Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is this a good laptop for the price?

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks

I know that this is a pretty damn good laptop, but i am wondering how cost efficient  it is. 
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220577

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By torus

It's your lucky day, I just bought that exact laptop, from Newegg.  

For the price, it is superb. I've had it for 2 weeks, this is my experience with it.

Feels solid, the screen is held on well by the hinges. The lower half of the base (the palmrest) is covered by a layer of matte black rubber/plastic (not too rubbery, but less glossy than the rest of it), and the keys are good quality. The keys are better than the G71gx I tried at the Best Buy- they are the chicklet style keys, which look and feel better. The back of the screen is a little gaudy, with some LED-strips, but they aren't too offensive. Battery is convenient to take out, albeit heavy. As I expected, there are no less than 7 fucking stickers attached to the palmrest, ranging from a list of all the specs to the standard Intel inside logo, but those came off easily. The ports are well placed. The optical drive could be sturdier- it's a little wobbly when it is all the way out, but I guess I'm just used to slot-loading drives. Overall, it looks less assuming and more professional than some of the other 'gaming' laptops out there, and it is certainly lighter. I like the fact that they managed to squeeze a numpad in the keyboard. There is exactly 1 dead pixel (out of 2016000 or so), but luckily it is at the far upper-right corner of the screen and mostly unnoticeable. 

I'm a little spoiled as far as build quality, since I'm used to the beautiful milled-aluminum Macbooks. One of my biggest gripes is that it attracts a LOT of fingerprints, due to the high-gloss plastic.

I don't have benchmarks for you yet, but for the price, this is a very good deal (at this point in time, -august 7th, 2009). It has one of the more powerful laptop video cards (Gtx 260m) with a gig of video memory, 4gb of ram, a 320 gb HDD (7200 rpm), a T9600 C2D cpu. The screen is beautiful- I've never seen a 1920x1080 screen on a 15.4 inch laptop before, and the fidelity is superb. It's very bright (I haven't figured out how to get the brightness control keys on the keyboard working), and quite uniform. Color changes a bit from the side, but not anything dramatic (still readable, mostly just changes color a bit). In the gaming I've done on it so far, it hasn't gotten unreasonably hot, probably because of a huge fucking vent on the bottom. Because of that, it's probably best not to game on it while it's on your lap.

As far as games go, it's a beast. It runs Crysis Warhead superbly at 1680x1050 (around 35 fps) on high/enthusiast settings (a few less-important things turned down). I haven't had any performance issues in any other games.  It has HDMI, so I can plug it into my 24" monitor, and e-sata, for my external drive. This is a gaming laptop, but it's still not unreasonably heavy.

The downsides: 

- Fuckton of bloatware- it's almost astonishing how much there is. I did a clean reformat. 
    - Not GREAT build quality, it's still all made of plastic. It's fine though.
    - Fingerprint magnet 
    - Lights up like a fucking christmass tree, you CANNOT turn off all the LED lights. With a certain utility (you have to get it online), you can turn off some of the lights. 
    - Trackpad isn't all that big. 

I can post detailed pictures, if you want. 

If you buy it from newegg, it comes with a year of accidental damage insurance, which is very nice.

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks

awesome this is exactly the post i was looking for thanks a lot man :D

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks

and you dont have to post pics if you dont want to.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By torus
    @angryphil: I forgot to mention 1 thing- the speakers are ABSOLUTE SHIT. 

If you want to have sound, make sure you have some external speakers or a pair of headphones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.