Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is this rig juicy enough to bring me to joygasm?

Grape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grape
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lunarbunny

That thing looks more overpriced than even an Alienware. I mean seriously, I built a rig like that (same exact motherboard, video cards, CPU), and the upgrade (mobo, GPUs, CPU, RAM) only cost me $720 USD (I already had other parts from a previous build, I've probably paid no more than $1200 USD for all the parts I have, some of which have been used in upwards of 5 or 6 builds.

As for your question, I run mine at 1920x1200...

Fallout 3 - CrossFire is still finicky with it, no driver update or patch to fix it yet. Single card runs it at a mostly smooth rate at Ultra High, but can slow down in some spots (saw lots of slowdown looking southeast from Raven Rock)
    Crysis - Don't own it, can't say
    Far Cry 2 - Maybe not 60 FPS but it will be smooth enough that you won't know the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

It's true. I order all my parts from newegg. I'd also suggest you get XP instead of Vista, but that's just my preference.

Grape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Grape

Lunarbunny said:
    "That thing looks more overpriced than even an Alienware. I mean seriously, I built a rig like that (same exact motherboard, video cards, CPU), and the upgrade (mobo, GPUs, CPU, RAM) only cost me $720 USD (I already had other parts from a previous build, I've probably paid no more than $1200 USD for all the parts I have, some of which have been used in upwards of 5 or 6 builds.

Fallout 3 - CrossFire is still finicky with it, no driver update or patch to fix it yet. Single card runs it at a mostly smooth rate at Ultra High, but can slow down in some spots (saw lots of slowdown looking southeast from Raven Rock)
    Far Cry 2 - Maybe not 60 FPS but it will be smooth enough that you won't know the difference."

2355 New Zealand dollars = 1268 U.S. dollars

Sorry dude, should've mentioned it at the start.

Do you think these are the specs to go with? Like are they 'awesome' or like.. just a bit better than the older cards/versions and not worth the money. Or what. It's so hard finding this info on the net, everythings either outdated or conflicting!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor? Don't forget to factor that into the cost if you do not or if you indent do replace them.

Grape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Grape
    Bellum said:
    "Do you already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor? Don't forget to factor that into the cost if you do not or if you indent do replace them."
    Yeah I've got those sorted already,
    G15 keyboard
    G7 mouse
    viewsonic 28" monitor :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Otherwise, it looks like a solid build. I can't comment on the video card. You should ask someone who actually owns it, otherwise it's just speculation and you'll just get nvidia nuts telling you to get so and so nvidia card (I own a 8800 myself and it does fine for me). I use onboard sound as well, and the only game I've had sound issues with is Oblivion. And that's because it's a poorly programmed peice of shit. I've got a soundblaster somewhere, but I took it out when I re-built my computer because it fucked up so often. The drivers suck.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Lunarbunny

Sorry, I thought it was AUD, which put the build at about $1500. The NZD conversion rate makes it look much better. If you're going pre-built, then that should be fine.

The video card setup is the current best for your money...there is pretty much universal agreement about this at review sites. I think a 4850X2 card was recently released due to the popularity of the 4850 CrossFire setup.

Just be aware that any multi-GPU setup has its quirks, and some games may refuse to work right/well with it on.

With the 8.10 drivers (I have yet to test the recently released 8.11, which I didn't realize existed until just now) I had to turn off CrossFire for Fallout 3, and disable Catalyst AI/external antialiasing settings for Far Cry 2 (there was also a hotfix for Far Cry 2 that increased performance on CrossFire setups, but I assume 8.11 already has this fix).

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By albaker

Even though I don't recommend SLI/Crossfire setups, that PC is pretty good and would definitely run those mentioned games, what I would have done is get a single card, somthing like the new GTX260 or the 280 or maybe even the 4870 as they all got cheaper now but I don't know about the prices in NZ. Anyways that's just me but if your'e fine with it then go ahead that is a beast of a PC

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By darkgoth678
    Lunarbunny said:
    "That thing looks more overpriced than even an Alienware. I mean seriously, I built a rig like that (same exact motherboard, video cards, CPU), and the upgrade (mobo, GPUs, CPU, RAM) only cost me $720 USD (I already had other parts from a previous build, I've probably paid no more than $1200 USD for all the parts I have, some of which have been used in upwards of 5 or 6 builds.

Far Cry 2 - Maybe not 60 FPS but it will be smooth enough that you won't know the difference."

from personal experience I can tell you that in FC2 you will be in there, perhaps 60-80 FPs is my guess because I have 1 4850 and in Ultra High im getting around low 30's and evraging high 30's. well, you might be able to assure that if you upgrade it to a Quad. 
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By lamegame621
    Bellum said:
    "It's true. I order all my parts from newegg. I'd also suggest you get XP instead of Vista, but that's just my preference."
    NEWEGG FTW!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.