Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is Unreal Tournament 3 dead?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

I ask this because I recently bought a copy for £4 (around $7) in preparation for receiving a new laptop for my 21st Birthday next month - I always thought the design of the Necris vehicles looked awesome and loved me some UT2004 back in the day even though my old PC could barely run it.

However, all I remember hearing after launch was negative user reviews (in contrast to rather good critic scores) and a lot of backlash.

What went wrong and, looking back now, do you think it was all justified? I was hoping to get into this but am worried that the community just won't be there anymore. 

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By warxsnake

in short, its the same game as ut2k4 but worse with less features and less gamemodes.

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Tarakun

When it was new I played a good amount of the demo, and I really liked it. Then again, I've never played UT2k4.  

I had heard that people just thought it was too different from what 2004 was. It's a shame, because that really was a good game. I had always meant to pick it up but... 

Dude, do you remember all the stuff that dropped in 2007? I think most people were too busy playing Team Fortress 2 / Call of Duty 4.  

Donkey_Kong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Donkey_Kong

I dont know about the current state of online as i stopped playing long ago, but my issue as well as many other people's issues is that it just didn't feel like Unreal. If the game was realeased with some other name as a new ip or something, i bet it would have done/been received far better. Seeing as how you played and loved UT 2004, you might feel this as well, but perhaps not, definitly give it a go seeing as how you bought it already and super cheap to boot. You're playing with the houses money now.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Jambones

How's the 2k4 scene at the moment?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vitor

Well with all the free expansions (mainly user created but still), I'm hoping it will have considerably longer staying power now. I doubt it'll eat too much of my time but I always meant to get it for PS3 when it was released and now that I can max it on on my new rig, I thought what the hell.

Can you guys elaborate on what made it feel so different? 'Coes all the videos on youtube I've been watching of it make it seem very similar to ut2004. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

The community was in extremely poor shape last I checked, ~200 players max?

I didn't think it felt all that bad, and I think it feels more like Unreal than 2K3 or 2K4, but UT99 is still a lot more fun to play.

Donkey_Kong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Donkey_Kong

To me it felt like Gears and all the other games made with the unreal engine that flood the market and I have grown to despise. Not because it has a cover system of anything but because you are these giant military men with huge power suits and the graphical style is largely the same. There also seemed to be far less to do, but then again, i stopped kind of quickly so i may not have discovered every single thing. Then the mod scene is not nearly as big which is what gives games like these their legs, 04 was and maybe still is crazy supported by the fans, I cant say the same about 3.

Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
    HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

In many ways UT3's problem at launch was that it was too much like it's predecessor.  It came out at a time when all the other big shooters were including class and/or experience systems.  UT3 was an old school twitchy ass insta-kill style shooter where you ran around an arena at top speed blasting everything that moved, which wasn't what most shooter fans were looking for.  That style of shooter still has a place in the world but that place is a small one and UT2004 was already there and filling it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.