Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

is upgrading to this gfx card a great idea?

Grape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grape

Help! If I replace my 7800GTX 256mb with a new ASUS EXTREME ATI HD4870X2 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 TV-OUT DVI, what sort of graphic setting do you think I'd be able to play on (with a 1900 x 1200 resolution) with current-gen games?

My PC specs are listed below!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
    ASUS a8n32 SLI Deluxe
    2048MB RAM

Thanks! :D
    (tip: price listing on that link is in New Zealand dollars)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes that would be a huge step up for you, I`m not really that great with AMD processor so I`m not sure if that would bottleneck your performance but it looks good man.

You expect to play mostly all modern games on pretty much high settings.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Black_Raven

You would definitely get a huge increase in performance, but If i were you I would get a less expensive graphics card and upgrade your CPU. I would get two 8800GTs and SLI them (your mobo supports dual PCI-E X16) which would leave you enough money to buy a better CPU. here you can get an 8800GT for $169.80NZ, its a New Zealand site btw...

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zeus_gb

It's a great card, I have one myself.  Stalker Clear Sky ran as low as 21 FPS on my 768MB Geforce 8800GTX, I put that card in with the same settings and I got between 90 and 140 FPS.

It comes with lots of adapters and software.  The SmartDoctor application is quite good, it allows you to see your temps, adjust the fan speeds and overclock the card.  The card requires two additional 6 pin power connectors and the fan on the card is noisy when it gets to it's full RPM.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zeus_gb said:
    "It's a great card, I have one myself.  Stalker Clear Sky ran as low as 21 FPS on my 768MB Geforce 8800GTX, I put that card in with the same settings and I got between 90 and 140 FPS.

It comes with lots of adapters and software.  The SmartDoctor application is quite good, it allows you to see your temps, adjust the fan speeds and overclock the card.  The card requires two additional 6 pin power connectors and the fan on the card is noisy when it gets to it's full RPM."
    Wow really that much of a jump? what type of CPU are you using?
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Gunner
    Black_Raven said:
    "You would definitely get a huge increase in performance, but If i were you I would get a less expensive graphics card and upgrade your CPU. I would get two 8800GTs and SLI them (your mobo supports dual PCI-E X16) which would leave you enough money to buy a better CPU. here you can get an 8800GT for $169.80NZ, its a New Zealand site btw...
    "
    I agree with this. A good CPU would benefit you in more ways than just games. You will notice a good performance increase in games and other programs.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By jasondaplock

An HD4870X2 would be absolute overkill for your CPU. With a good Core 2 Duo-style processor your hypothetical rig would run without a hitch regardless of what you throw at it. Your performance will be horribly bottlenecked by your central processor otherwise. I'd recommend pairing a 4870 x2 with an E8400 if you're into overclocking or any of the Core 2 Extreme chips if you don't like messing around with BIOS settings.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zeus_gb
    Bucketdeth said:
    "zeus_gb said:
    "It's a great card, I have one myself.  Stalker Clear Sky ran as low as 21 FPS on my 768MB Geforce 8800GTX, I put that card in with the same settings and I got between 90 and 140 FPS.

It comes with lots of adapters and software.  The SmartDoctor application is quite good, it allows you to see your temps, adjust the fan speeds and overclock the card.  The card requires two additional 6 pin power connectors and the fan on the card is noisy when it gets to it's full RPM."
    Wow really that much of a jump? what type of CPU are you using?"
    3.0GHz QX6850 Extreme.
    vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vivek

Dont get Quad Core no games use them get a High Power Dual Core. Quad are a waste of money unless you do design work or film editing

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By albaker

Man just upgrade your whole PC, it's SERIOUSLY time to get a new mobo, cpu, video card, power supply and memory. But this time please don't get an AMD CPU, the new intel cpus are MUCH better and reliable as well as stronger

SumoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SumoX

As others said, the CPU will bottleneck you. I have a similar CPU (4600) and it balances reasonably well with a 3850.

I'd personally suggest a more modest GPU (along the lines of a 3870) and save your money for when you're ready to do a complete system overhaul. I wouldn't listen to anyone giving advice about upgrading both at this time unless you're absolutely sure you have the money and spend some more time researching what kind of performance you're looking for. There's no sense in upgrading multiple things unless you know exactly what's on the market, the pricing, and how "future-proof" you want to go.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    Vivek said:
    "Dont get Quad Core no games use them get a High Power Dual Core. Quad are a waste of money unless you do design work or film editing"
    Quad Core is really good to have. That way all your background applications can be running on the other cores, while your game can be running on one core. And it's awesome for film editing, I can render a 1.43GB movie (edited raw footage) in about 10 minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.